W900A kenworth engine swap?

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by tnpete, Jan 20, 2017.

1. tnpete

tnpete Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    Anyone tool an old W900A, with a 6v92 detrioit. And swapped it out for a different engine? Thinking a Big cam 350 or 400. As that way old school, no electronics to work around. Would love to have a ISX or 12.7 Detroit. But then it would include a harness and other things.
    Found a nice clean old W900A. But don't like the 6V92 in it. Would also be swapping out the rear ends. To get something that will match the newer engines RPM's. Not sure this would ever be taken on to do. But sure giving it some thought.
    Pete

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    If you are doing this for business as a truck to make money with that would be a bad business decision.
    If you enjoy doing that type stuff, have the time and abilities a complete doner truck is the way to go.
    Start a page and list each expected repair items and the expected cost. Total them at the bottom and double it.
    Got the cash? Go for it! Just my opinion. I have done some but not that one. 3406 is also good.

4. orfordguy

orfordguy Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2017
    It's not that hard mechanical engine to mechanical engine.. I'm swapping a 12.7 into a short hood w900a.. pulling out the big cam 3 400hp., 13spd rto and radiator assembly..the 12.7 barely fits according to my muesurements but it'll go.. then there's the wiring.. decided to use a complete donor harness and rewire the truck into it.. I'll let you have the big cam and related parts cheap.. need em gone and need the money to start 12.7 overhaul..

5. orfordguy

Jan 21, 2017
    Also cutting off the 8bag 4.10 rear axles... it's missing a couple air bags and ride controls. I'll give you the rears if you haul them off..

6. SmokinCAT

SmokinCAT Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Hillsboro, OH./ Adrian, MI
    The 855 will be a tight fit as there is very little recess in the firewall of detroit powered trucks, I installed a B model cat in a factory 8v92 truck and there are places where there are 1/2" or less of clearance.

7. dandear

dandear Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2017

8. dandear

dandear Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2017
    I could sure use the rears. Where are they located? When can this be done?

9. orfordguy

Jan 21, 2017
    It's over here in oregon at our yard.. I can cut it off at any weekend.. just noticed your in Tennessee.. shipping them to you would probably cost more than there worth..

10. orfordguy

Jan 21, 2017

11. orfordguy

Jan 21, 2017
    Stand corrected thought I was responding to the original poster.. and Smokin Cat is right. if the firewall isn't recessed the 855 won't fit.. mine has about a 4" concave in it and the 855 uses up most oh it..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.