W900a motor mounts

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by jlmilli, Aug 11, 2012.

1. jlmilli

jlmilli Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Kansas City MO
    just got a set of poly bushings from energy suspensions. i need to change them out asap or i'm gonna break something. last time i had a mechanic do it but he cant get to it for 2 weeks. i'm replacing the rubber set (that lasted all of 3 months) with the new polys. ill have help and use of a good friends shop and tools. i'm assuming i need to support the motor/trans at the bellhousing unbolt the mounts and raise the motor enough to get the rubbers out. anybody with some helpful tips on how to do this myself will be much appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flc120

flc120 Heavy Load Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Miami,FL (yeah i know :( )
    are you doing the front set or the middle set by the bellhousing?

4. jlmilli

jlmilli Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Kansas City MO
    middle set by the bellhousing

5. flc120

flc120 Heavy Load Member

Jul 11, 2012
    whoa those are some tough suckers to change out if they are seized. What year truck? I would also put in new hardware as well and not re use the old bolts and nuts.

basically loosend front mounts i have pulled them up depending on the engine from the top engine hook with a picker or forklift.

if they are seized you will need to heat them up to get them to free up, watch the driver side and all air hoses,wires and lines as you will need to move them out of the way and free them from chassic clips and maybe even wrap them or block them with a thick piece of cardboard.

good luck shes a job.

jlmilli Thanks this.
  6. jlmilli

jlmilli Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Kansas City MO
    the truck is a '80 w9 but i just had them replaced about 6 mos ago. I've heard these trucks bad for this problem.

7. flc120

flc120 Heavy Load Member

Jul 11, 2012
    one thing is for sure they dont get tightened down with a impact gun or they will crush and smush providing you know bounce whatsoever. LEt us know on the poly mounts as i was scared to run them as i feared the idle shakes would be to brutal.

i replaced mine about the begining of the year but opted for the regular rubber pieces but would like to see how the outcome and feel of the polys are, especially since your truck and my truck use the same bushing mount.

8. jlmilli

jlmilli Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Kansas City MO
    I'll let you know

9. jlmilli

jlmilli Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Kansas City MO
    got the new poly bushings in. don't notice any more vibration than the rubbers. helped but didn't cure problems starting on grades w/ load. will order poly front mounts if i can find them. don't think they will cure this problem either. will look into changing entire rear mount to new style. let you know what i find out.

10. Outback w900

Outback w900 Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2017
    Hi jlmilli, I know it's been a few years since you have posted a update, I'm from a Australia and own a w900a, I'm wondering how you went with the engine mount upgrade? I also have similar symptoms.
    Thankyou

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.