Walked out on mentor

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by rolldice25, Jul 26, 2022.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @rolldice25 --

If you get on with Swift (as suggested above, in post #22)--you would have access to all of Swift's terminals/dropyards for potential parking--plus all of the terminals/dropyards for Knight Transportation (Swift's "sister" company), as well.

Having access to many company terminals/yards for parking at the end of your shift is a HUGE advantage--especially for a new(er) driver.

--Lual

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    So, if your money was better, which part of crossing the line would you be willing to deal with?

4. rolldice25

rolldice25 Bobtail Member

Jul 26, 2022
    I wouldn't want to break any laws, but I understand rules need to be bent sometimes to keep things going, but definitely by a trainee learning the ropes. It's like this guy was making a point to break or ignore every rule there is. If a team of ###### drivers wanted to run on each other's logs a few hours or unload on break to run hard, I wouldn't fault them for it, but for me, it's practically slave labor.

Numb and Another Canadian driver Thank this.
  5. Another Canadian driver

Another Canadian driver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2021
    ALBERTA
    I wouldn't want to break any laws, but I understand rules need to be bent sometimes to keep things going, but definitely by a trainee learning the ropes.
    The trucking industry is so regulated today and the trucks are equipped with so many 'nanny' safety devices because of this mentality that bending couple rules is good, but, breaking all of them is bad.
    Trucking regulations come second to nuclear energy only. Does Chernobyl disaster rings a bell?
    If I were you I'll learn the law and follow the law.
    No breaking, no bending, no twisting.
    If you can't, maybe this industry is not for you.
    It's a safety sensitive job and lives are at stake if you make a mistake.
    It's that simple.

6. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    You mentioned that there were several things your mentor did to “cross the line”. Which ones would you allow to slide for more monetary compensation?

7. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    More concerned about your being forget trucking career. Been there done that got through 2 trainers before I got someone who could teach. A total different skill from knowing the skill yourself. Trucking companies make that constant mistake because they are desperate.
    Don't lose no sleep I had the first trainer talk trash about me to the second one and it took Jesus Christ restraining me not to leave him in Arizona. It worked out for me getting the right one. Definitely wouldn't have put up with that nonsense you had to deal with. All the best to you on your journey. Keep trucking.

8. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    About 18 months ago I was awakened by a guy I helped through school. I also helped him get hired. He was sitting in a Petro needing to get home. I got him a few hundred bucks even though he and I had to wait for businesses to open the next day. I offered to get him in a hotel, but he was OK. He simply got into a huge fight with the trainer and quit on the spot. Yes, his thermostat is set way too high. Once he got home he made some calls and had 2 job offers within days. Walking off a trainer's truck is not career fatal. I know many drivers who are currently training as well as some that now refuse to train. I will not jump on this bad trainer bandwagon. Once you hear some of the nightmares these trainers go through it will change your thinking. The last one I can remember was just after I got out of the Hospital in Jan. A trainer was ready to pick up a student and discovered the student had a small dog as well as his girl all 3 were planning on getting in his truck. When he refused the student accused him of racism. Thankfully he had everything on video.

9. rolldice25

Jul 26, 2022
    Copy that and will do. I'm going to forget everything that jerk showed me, meeting my new trainer today. If he's sketchy or hostile, I'll walk and find a new job

10. rolldice25

Jul 26, 2022
    None

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.