walmart a good company

Discussion in 'Wal-Mart' started by hkbravo34, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Ernieymarta

Ernieymarta Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2013
    You're not going to change the business that walmart does with china now 100 dollars an hour ill take it any day.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ernieymarta

Apr 26, 2013
    They outsource their loads to these outside carriers because they have more than what they can handle now do u think Werner Snider and Usexpress is going to pay u 100,000 a year to work for them,think again Walmart drivers the majority of them retire there.

4. Monkey1house

Monkey1house Light Load Member

Jul 7, 2013
    I've heard amazing things about Walmart Trans. I work for Poly .48 cpm hub miles, get to pick our outbound loads and broker loads back to our facility are forced dispatch( we haul our own stuff too) and length of haul is around a 1000 miles. How the hell are walmart drivers making 100k? Ltl union up north pays the best and they are not making that. What is your pay scale? How is it possible for someone to drive a truck for a living to make that much. .48 is as much as I can find in the south otr and thats what I'm doing and they run me out of hours every week with the miles. 100 grand a year? Nope. If I ran hard and I wont I could maybe make around mid 80's. And that's staying in the truck year round trying to get 4000 every week. Where does this extra money come from?

5. Ernieymarta

Apr 26, 2013
    Walmart doesn't only pay milage, they pay for all your activities and sleeping in the truck plus down time.and any safety courses you need to take.

6. Extreme4x4

Extreme4x4 Medium Load Member

Jul 6, 2013
    For Walmart, you get mileage (hub miles), mileage premium on weekends, drop pay, hook pay, stop pay, live load pay, live unload pay, layover pay (you get paid to sleep in your truck), unscheduled time (any time over a certain limit from vendors or even stores, or when you have a breakdown), mileage premium for hauling claims, and a safety bonus (quarterly).

I believe there are other bonus's also, after you have been there a year. My year is up in December. Plus you get raises yearly until you top out.

My mentor, who I drove with during training, had an ADP (Average Daily Pay) of $450. You work 150% legal, and have a full 2+ days off every week unless there is mandatory full 70 (due to being extremely busy)............... which I haven't had yet. My first year here, I will do better than my best year at my X employer.................. and that was $82K.

$100K wouldn't be too hard, and if you really want to work (my mentor was crazy fast), much more is fairly common.

drozzer69 and Desert_Skies Thank this.
  7. Desert_Skies

Desert_Skies Medium Load Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Victorville,CA
    UPS Feeder drivers are also able to do well above 100k.

8. Chaos268

Chaos268 Light Load Member

May 20, 2013
    I agree with you about the insurance thing. My daughter was there a year before she got insurance, and it was so high compared to her pay, I had to pay it for her. I have heard that some stores actually tell new hires how to get government assistance. WalMart is a crappy company, but they do pay well and have good benefits for truck drivers. I guess they figure they have to hire good drivers so they don't get sued if they had drivers that had wrecks and all, and good drivers call for more money.

9. Desert_Skies

Aug 30, 2012
    Victorville,CA

10. Extreme4x4

Extreme4x4 Medium Load Member

Jul 6, 2013
    We are all ambassadors for the company, as we are giant billboards driving down the highway.

While the insurance may not be comparable to union shops, it is certainly better than what many of us had. My X job was a small company that employed around 50 people. Our insurance had a $5000 deductible, and it was so expensive, we insured our son separately. We were paying around $750 a month for the 3 of us. Now, we have a $1500 deductible, and pay $206 a month. The company pays for short term disability, which I have never had. So, I opted for long term disability, accident insurance, dental, and buy stock.................. and we still pay about 1/2 of what we were for insurance alone, before.

Everyone loves to hate Walmart. I guess being the most visible out there will foster that in this "hate big business" atmosphere we live in today. Yes, they pay entry level wages to entry level employees................... just like any other "no skills needed other than the ability to suck air" jobs do. The real problem is their success. For some odd reason, "we" hate successful business in this country. So many talk like the successful business should be like a non profit, and have no profit. We talk like there is some evil "owner" of Walmart, keeping the little man down. We are all the owners of Walmart (if you have a 401K), so we should celebrate their success. I know many long term employees who have moved up with the company (because they actually work for their paycheck), and they are pleased with their income and benefits. Nobody wants to talk about them, however.

Desert_Skies and TexasMike Thank this.
  11. Desert_Skies

Aug 30, 2012
    Victorville,CA
    Insurance of any kind is a benefit not an entitlement,to many people are stuck in an entitlement mentality and they expect way to much. Most drivers coming to the private fleet will be getting not only a bump in pay but the benefits will like in your case be better. Your right,they never show the positive side when it comes to Walmart and thier contributions to the community. Great example,we have had two new super centers built in the high desert with two more under construction. I have not seen any press about the lines of people that were looking to get one of those crappy horrible Walmart jobs.

My employer before Walmart did at one time offer a 100% all inclusive benefit plan but as the years went by we were asked to cover a portion of the yearly rate increase. This amounted to about 100.00 a month for a plan that would have easily cost 1400.00 on the open market. There were guys that screamed like crazy and actually were talking about a strike.

Being self employed I have now seen both ends of the field and I do miss having the benefits from Walmart. I still have kids at home and I would like to have the security insurance offers but its just not an option. We get buy and make things work with the resources available.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.