WalMart DC's.... ALL OF THEM

Discussion in 'Shippers & Receivers - Good or Bad' started by I am medicineman, May 20, 2011.

1. Rubber_Duck

Rubber_Duck Light Load Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Great Bend, KS
    I've been to a lot of Walmart DC's. I've encountered crabby guards, and crabby people inside at the receiving office. But it can be like that anywhere.

Every time I've delivered to the ones in Mt. Pleasant, IA or Menominee, WI everyone has always been polite.

Walmart's annoying policy of making you chock, drop & pull away and sometimes even put that greasy jack under the nose of the trailer is all about insurance. They just want to avoid situation in which a drivers pulls the trailer away from the dock before they're done unloading it and the forklift guy drives off the dock and crashes on the ground. (I never understood how they can NOT see the trailer isn't there, especially when they're UNLOADING and there's no freight on their forks when re-entering the trailer.)

Some places even refuse to unload the truck unless they have your truck keys in the receiving office. I just hope those places don't ever figure out that most of us have more than one set of keys, LOL. That would get miserable on hot or cold days.

FYI, if you've never been to a Walmart DC, your appointment time means you have to be at the WINDOW at that time, not at the guard shack. Plan on being there 20-30 minutes before your appointment.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. federal221

federal221 Heavy Load Member

Mar 29, 2010
    new haven,IN
    when I was driving for werner it was a problem some times for me
    I was rejected a couple of times for some bogus reasons.
    I remember a couple of times getting there 45 min early and being told were too early even though it was a drop and hook

4. DirtyBob

DirtyBob Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Indiana
    They're usually pretty decent attitude wise at that one. Never fast though. I had the same thing happen to me the other day with being late as we rescued the load which almost always means being late. They put us in a dry dock accidently and then made us move when they finally realized it so we ended up there a good 4 hours. On time it's usually not much better there though.

The guard was one of easiest going I've ever met though. Doesn't have the "I get paid $10/hour to have a power trip" attitude. Lady at the window is usually nice too.

In Bedford, PA I had some cranky old man at the window. Give him my paperwork and yells at me quite loudly, "Go stand back at the wall!" "Excuse me?" "Go stand back at the wall, I can't stand people standing over me while I do paper work, I can't handle it." Whatever dude. He had that about to go postal look to him so I complied lol.

5. ronin618

ronin618 Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Benton, IL
    wow I work receiving at walgreens dc in mt. vernon IL and I had no idea that walmart made you pay for lumpers. why cant they afford their own people to unload the trucks thats bs.

6. Rubber_Duck

Jul 26, 2011
    Great Bend, KS
    They're not lumpers at Walmart, actually. Real lumpers are either self-employed or work for a lumper business that's independent from the grocery warehouse.
    Walmart's "lumpers" are employed by Walmart. I have no idea why they charge for unloading. But compared to independent lumper businesses, their rates are pretty low.

One time I had to get an EFS for $300 at some place in Taxachusetts.

7. johnday

johnday Road Train Member

I ran into one of the DC rejects the other day. They move the fast ones to the store. It was one of the very rare occasions I'll go to a mallwart, actually had no choice. I stood in line for a good fifteen minutes, while "slowmotion joe", had to think about each item he rang up for the person ahead of me. Geez, if Advance Auto would have had the oil I needed, I'd have never graced their parking lot. Oh, I came home and took a shower as well, for some reason I feel I have to do that after visiting mallwart.:biggrin_25523:

8. harrybottom

harrybottom Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Fitzgerald, Ga
    I do very little business at or with walmart, for that reason...

9. Rubber_Duck

Jul 26, 2011
    Great Bend, KS
    They had that South Park episode on the other night when they were trying to destroy Walmart because it was an uncontrollable monster. I was laughing all the way through it.

10. johnday

johnday Road Train Member

Rats, I didn't see it.

That's just one reason for me, there are some others, but I think I posted some of them earlier in this thread. God I hate that company.

11. corneileous

corneileous Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Podunk, OK
    Its an oldie, but a goodie....

I dont mind the shoppin part but Im really startin to feel that way about the haulin loads to'em....

Most of the claims Ive had to deal with have been at Walmart DC's..

The DC I was at a couple days ago, one of the other England drivers I was talkin to had his whole load rejected because they ordered green grapes and he had red ones......

johnday Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.