Walmart here I come!

Discussion in 'Wal-Mart' started by drozzer69, May 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomOfTx

TomOfTx Road Train Member

Jul 13, 2013
    Friendswood, TX
    How much of the 120 days had passed before this driver even went and took the hazmat test and background check?

Just a few years ago when I was hired you had to already have the hazmat endorsement before being hired. I can understand the grace period because the delay that can often occur waiting for the government to complete the background check. It should be mandatory that any newly hired drivers at least pass the hazmat test and have initiated the background check before coming to orientation. Just my opinion.

Ironhead2542 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ironhead2542

Ironhead2542 Medium Load Member

Jan 17, 2016
    He called Bentonville, they said they have a zero tolerance policy on new hires. They come without an endorsement, they sign on in good faith they will be endorsed within 120. He's not a renewal, he's a 1st timer, and a new hire. Add stupid as it sounds, once he gets it in the mail, he can apply immediately. If he had it already and was working for Wal-Mart, he just couldn't work until he received it. I think what brought this to Bentonville's attention was that about 2 weeks ago he was rear ended at 5am while sitting at a red traffic light. He had been told by our safety guy that he couldn't work past his 120 days until he got his endorsement, that was a week ago, then today Bentonville called and said he was terminated. There just is no common sense to this thinking, but I'll be the 1st to tell him, it was his responsibility to get this done. It's a tough lesson to learn, but might work out better as he was looking to transfer anyways after a year, and now he wouldn't have to.

TomOfTx Thanks this.
  4. Ironhead2542

Ironhead2542 Medium Load Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Totally agree. I was surprised they even hired him without one. He was warned 4 days before his 120, then on day 120 was told he couldn't come back to work until he had it, he took and passed it on day 122, but waiting for fingerprint process to come back.

TomOfTx Thanks this.
  5. de_sandman

de_sandman Light Load Member

Feb 3, 2011
    bakersfield,ca
    I got a question for everyone WM home office called me last Wednesday and told me there was a error on my license. I guess when I turned in my new medical card dmv put me to interstate only and not 48 states. so I already got that fixed. so I called the person at WM that called me the other day and told him everything is taking care of . does anyone know how long it would take to run my license check again to verify everything is good. ?

6. TomOfTx

Jul 13, 2013
    Friendswood, TX
    I hate to see anyone lose their job for something like this. However, waiting until day 122 when you agreed to obtain your hazmat endorsement within 120 days in really unacceptable. If he had done it within the first 90 days and was still waiting for the background check to be finished, I doubt he would have been let go. Unfortunately, this may be a tough lesson learned.

georgear1084 and drozzer69 Thank this.
  7. TomOfTx

Jul 13, 2013
    Friendswood, TX
    No definite time frame as it varies from state to state. Could be within 1 to 30 days. It would be wiser to have a copy of your license status in hand before telling Walmart it was fixed.

8. de_sandman

de_sandman Light Load Member

Feb 3, 2011
    bakersfield,ca
    I did get a dmv printout the day it got fixed and also told HR about it she said she just waiting on home office to call or email so that way she could get my orientation date started

TomOfTx Thanks this.
  9. Jmfahey

Jmfahey Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2016
    We have one that has also been "parked"for this same reason.

10. TomOfTx

Jul 13, 2013
    Friendswood, TX
    Ok good. The problem you had is a pretty common mistake. The same happened to my license last year where my new DOT physical was not correctly updated and I received a downgrade notice. All was fixed soon after.

11. Billbigrigger

Billbigrigger Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2017

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.