Walmart should you go!

Discussion in 'Wal-Mart' started by Cal Wally, Apr 6, 2014.

1. TomOfTx

TomOfTx Road Train Member

Jul 13, 2013
    Friendswood, TX
    Cal, it is no secret that Walmart seeks younger workers. That was exposed back in late 2005 when the infamous "Chambers memo" was uncovered. I have to chuckle when I hear other drivers who openly admit how poorly workers at the Walmart stores are treated, yet think they will never be treated the same. Sure, the job driving for the private fleet has many good points that cannot be overlooked, but to quote my colleague Chewey, "Just remember...it is a job...these people are your friends till you are a blip on their trouble radar, then you are history no matter how well or how long you have done you job."
    I found this out the hard way by assuming the "respect for the individual" mantra was sincere. It wasn't. A member of my church who is my mentor, who spent 28 years working for Walmart as a Vice President until recently, enlightened me to just how downright evil some of these managers in Bentonville really are. If you like your job here, great, good for you. But, do not be surprised when you find out later that as a driver you are not much more than a tissue waiting to be pulled from the box of Kleenex to wipe someones nose and throw you in the trash. Enjoy the job for as long as you can, but do not count on retiring from Walmart if you are fairly young and recently hired.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    Cal Wally, big props to you for delivering the true message of Walmart's private fleet. They aren't any better than anyone else. Sure, the pay is a little better, but just wait until that hammer drops too. And it will.

Cal Wally Thanks this.
  4. Cal Wally

Cal Wally Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2014
    Its not really a message Im proud to deliver but its one thats needed to counter the seldom negative messages from the new school of Wallys. And your right about us being no better than any other drivers,it's going to be even more of a slap in the face as we move forward. I and many others have been far from impressed with those hired under the new less than difficult standards. Who knows maybe they will just start running their own school,at least then they could mold new drivers into the image that fits the new private fleet.

5. Taipan

Taipan Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2014
    private fleet is a business yu are there as long as yu give it value goes with any other business and yes am in my 2nd year made 97000 1st yr .Do your job do it well and yu will always be employed

6. Cal Wally

Mar 16, 2014
    There is money to be made no doubt,the question is should a driver leave a better job to come to Walmart. By better I mean seniority,benefits and general treatment. Very few are out there that fit this description,I was one when I hired on. I actually took a pay cut because I wanted the job,it had nothing to do with the money. Knowing what I do now I would have stayed with my old job.

7. trucker1979

trucker1979 Light Load Member

Apr 25, 2014
    Thanks for the response in the pm. I can't pm you back because I have not posted enough yet. I am seeing a lot of changes at my current union job also which I don't like. The use of contracted carriers is one big issue. We have taken a pay cut and I am just worried about my future. I am young enough to start over so that is why I am thinking of the private fleet at walmart. Most drivers at walmart seem to be happy with how they are treated. How are the benefits? Is it really that bad at walmart? There are many positive posts where drivers are very happy at walmart. Pm me if you need to thanks

8. Cal Wally

Mar 16, 2014
    The problem is that there is no loyalty,at least not like there used to be. Its a very good job but is it worth the gamble? You may be fine,just be sure you think it thru and look at the future.

9. Cal Wally

Mar 16, 2014
    Jippos are a problem at every union shop. Walmart will always be here in one form or another,seniority really means nothing. How's the Mrs feel about you being gone 4-5 nights a week,also think of that little one. My teamster job raised two kids and being home everyday with a union job is what most of these guys would kill for. I know its not an easy decision,at least your willing to think it thru.

10. trucker1979

trucker1979 Light Load Member

Apr 25, 2014
    Yes my union job is not to bad, but I am not home everyday and the waiting by the phone for a 2 hour work call is getting old. I run the road board with abf. At walmart at least you keep rolling and stay busy. I keep contemplating weather to fill out the application or not. I don't want to if I am not serious about it. I might not hear anything from them anyways but you never know. It's a tough choice.

11. grabberblue12

grabberblue12 Medium Load Member

Oct 9, 2012
    between here and there
    cal wally I totally agree with some of the things you have in this thread. If you have a really good job do your homework before making a decision. I left a excellent job to come here and have no regrets but anyone considering the change should look at their own situation.

As far as micro managed dont really agree with that its any different then any other good carrier. If you have a obc in your truck your being watched dont matter who your driving for. As far as the gear head mechanics they are still here but the bottom line is you cant work on today's equipment without a laptop. Your living to much in the past.

The standards are still high and lots of people being turned away. They just interviewed a mess of drivers at my DC and 2 where offered positions.

Again I hear you its not what you old timers say it once was but its still a premier driving job. And if you want to be truly honest its really hard to get fired outside of stealing and the cell phone policy.

To the very few unhappy ones no one is holding you captive here your free to leave at anytime.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.