Wandering WiFi RANT!

Discussion in 'Cellular - Voice - Data' started by MrMustard, May 15, 2010.

1. MrMustard

MrMustard Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Dayton, Ohio
    I'm stopped at the Pilot on I64 west of Louisville, KY. My Sprint modem has no 3g here, just the slower 1xrtt network. A tad better than dial up.

So...I plunk down the $4.79 for WiFi..

[​IMG]

Their router is obviously hooked into the same 1xrtt Sprint network.

For $4.79 I got the same slow speed I had when I pulled in here, the only difference now I get to share it with a half dozen other drivers.
    Wandering WiFi....You've had reps posting in this forum before, so hopefully you are reading this..if this is a joke, I don't find it funny. If the connection is this hampered, to the point of being useless to me, then there should be a warning on the page before I spend my non-refundable money.

cetanediesel Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MrMustard

Dec 11, 2008
    Dayton, Ohio
    Decided to relocate to Evansville, In to do my 34 hr restart there. Surely in Evansville Wandering WiFi would have faster access there, wouldn't you think?
    [​IMG]

Wow.

4. GTS2010

GTS2010 Light Load Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Queen Creek, AZ
    If using your Sprint SmartView connection, try disconnecting ... then go to your "Connect to..." tab on your "Start" menu on your computer. Try connecting thru each of the connections ... 3G, CDMA or Mobile.

I've found that I can connect sometimes through the CDMA or Mobile connection and get a faster connection than running through SmartView.

5. MrMustard

Dec 11, 2008
    Dayton, Ohio
    My Sprint modem is fine. In fact I'm running Linux and don't use Smartview. The problem is Wandering Wifi, the people who provide the equipment and internet feed to the Pilots, Loves, and TA. I paid my money thinking I was going to get broadband, only to find that they have the same Sprint card hooked up to their router I'm using. You have 10-15 drivers out here trying to use the same 1xrtt (2g) connection. It took FOUR MINUTES to load the Wanderingwifi.com page so I could write a complaint. I'm back to using my Sprint modem now, and I'm $5 lighter in my wallet. It's the same awful speed, but at least I'm not sharing it with everyone in the parking lot. My point is, why would they set it up this way? Why are they selling an unusable service? If they were stuck with mobile broadband, why not use Verizon or AT&T, both of which have 3g in this area? You know you stick your credit card number in, get billed $5 and get dog crap in return. It's enraging.

smirkyboy and Corporal_Clegg Thank this.
  6. MrMustard

Dec 11, 2008
    Dayton, Ohio
    Well, they called me back after I ripped them an email. They told me that they are indeed using a Sprint aircard, because they are unable to find a local provider in the area. I told him that the service is unusable here, and this type of service would turn off customers for good. I also told him that if he was going to use an aircard, why use the only company that doesn't have 3g in the area? It makes no sense. Even pitiful AT&T has 3g in Evansville. Anyhow, he gave me two week's free time on the service, and apologized profusely.

Bottom line: Don't plan on using Pilot's wifi service in southern Indiana.

cetanediesel Thanks this.
  7. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    Wow. With the bandwidth split like that... No wonder.

Thanks for the followup on this. I couldn't get over your speedtest numbers above, but now I see why.

bullhaulerswife Thanks this.
  8. WanderingWiFi_Support

WanderingWiFi_Support Bobtail Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    As the technician you spoke with mentioned we are continually qualifying these locations for faster internet as they become available. These locations are often out in the middle of nowhere and even if near a big town, the DSL usually does not run to the outskirts. DSL is limited by distance to the CO and being far away would put you worse off than Sprint.

I am still working with our developers on a system that allows you to attain information before you buy, so you can make an educated decision.

I hope that we handled your complaint appropriately and have provided ample reimbursement for the trouble. We are not in the market to simply take your money. While occasionally our physical service may not meet your expectations due to issues outside of our control, hopefully our customer service exceeds your expectations.

If there is anything else within reason that I can do for you please contact us at pilotsupport (at) wanderingwifi [dot] com.

9. MrMustard

Dec 11, 2008
    Dayton, Ohio
    My suggestion is that if you are going to use air cards in these circumstances, why not use one that has 3g service in that area, instead of using Sprint in all of them? Sprint's mobile broadband works fine at most locations, but if you look at their coverage map, in the area I was in, southern Indiana, they have 1xrtt coverage, not EVDO. 1xrtt is a tad faster than dial-up, and having a dozen or more trucks in a parking lot sharing a >100 kbps connection is NOT a workable service. You're wasting your money on labor and equipment, and scaring off potential long-term customers. I was parked at the Haubstadt, IN Pilot, and in the Evansville area, 2 out of the 3 major carriers, AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint, have 3g coverage in that area. Sprint doesn't, but that's what you had in your routers.

Your tech asked me if I had any suggestions. I do. Google "3gstore." (they get persnickety when I post commercial links.) They are a nation wide dealer that deals with all the major carriers and I'm sure they have the ability to help you pair each location you have to use air cards at with the best 3g service that suits that particular location.

10. Big Al C

Big Al C Light Load Member

Sep 29, 2009
    boondocks, MS
    I put down for a month of sevice and thought it was high speed internet. Oh well, I was wrong and will NEVER pay for internet service through a truckstop again, that's for sure. Why would anyone pay that much money to share bandwith with every trucker in the parking lot if its just 1 megabit (that's what 3g is everytime I test it)?????? I honestly thought that if they were going to charge money for a service, they were going to set that sevice up with a decent bandwith dedicated line to each store. LOL, they are only after your money so don't even TRY to come on here again and dispute that, as if!

11. MrMustard

Dec 11, 2008
    Dayton, Ohio
    To be fair, some of their locations are cable or DSL, but others are not. When the support guy in this thread posted about 6 months ago, I suggested that he unlock a speedtest site and link to it from the log on page so we could at least test it before we buy, since it's hit or miss. Aircards are passable, as long as they are 3g. Yeah they're only a megabit, to 1.5 megabits, but they have several routers located around the parking lot. If your sharing that with one or two other people, it's not too bad. I put $20 down on it last month, I've used it maybe six times, so I guess I got my money's worth. On the other hand, there were also 5 or 6 times I pulled into the Pilot parking lot and expected to use it and it just wan't usable.

It can be done right. There are plenty of Mom and Pop places out there that do it right, the Pilots that are owned by Bosselman's does it right, and they don't charge for it. Sapp brothers does it right, except for the location in PA which rarely works, and they don't charge for it either. Heck, even IdleAire had decent wifi for $5 a night. I think the best company that ever tried it was a few years ago, TruckStop.net. They were putting them up just about everywhere, the number of locations they had was staggering. They put routers up just about everywhere a group of trucks pulled their brakes. (The Waffle Kings in SC pop in my head.) They were ahead of their time, in my opinion, they couldn't get enough customers to pay for all that equipment they put up.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.