Wandering WiFi RANT!

Discussion in 'Cellular - Voice - Data' started by MrMustard, May 15, 2010.

1. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    What about just tethering your phone to your PC? I do that with mine and I can do everything I can with a wifi connection except D/l or u/p stuff. I have a crappy carrier, virgin mobile. They have unlimited data, but they go off of sprints wimax and it super slow even in the middle of slc but it beats having to have a separate service.

ThatFlatbedGuy2013 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ThatFlatbedGuy2013

ThatFlatbedGuy2013 Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Somewhere in the US of A
    I do that now with my Verizon phone, except I just use hotspot. Some reason faster than tethering with a usb. Awesome download speeds but have to he careful on what I download. Not that I download anything huge but every once and a while anyhow.

4. ThatFlatbedGuy2013

Feb 4, 2013
    Somewhere in the US of A
    Not to say I know for sure, but I can bet you aren't paying Wandering WiFi. Not directly anyways. You are paying whatever truck stop is using them, and then they keep a percentage of that and wandering gets the rest. Wandering WiFi, I think, is the middle man. Based on a posted speed test on here, I'd say Wandering brokers with various internet providers and then sells the accounts to whoever will pay for it and then Wandering WiFi goes in and sets all the equipment up etc. Just my theory anyhow, and in that case, interlinked accounts wouldn't be possible unless pilot bought out Love's and TA. Or vice versa. Or the government decided to ban competition between companies. But alas, a good thought.

5. VisionLogistics

VisionLogistics Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Jellystone
    Pretty sure that Millenicom is their provider at many if not all, of the points of service. You're right, they're a reseller.

I've only used WW at a couple of locations, and both were awesome. I wish they could provide those speeds everywhere. Next time you're near Denver, stay the night at Loves in Bennett, CO. and try the service. It's consistently fast for me. I was getting 8 megabits down for 3 days last week. I downloaded my entire Steam games library which is nearly 120 GB. During that download I also was surfing the net, doing OS updates, and streaming internet radio... no lag at all.

6. Cswann1

Cswann1 Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2012
    That location must have fibre running right to the truck stop.

7. speedracer 1963

speedracer 1963 Medium Load Member

Jan 12, 2008
    illinois
    I would dump sprint and get the verizon jet pack, you will notice a big coverage difference and average at least 3g service in most cities

8. ThatFlatbedGuy2013

Feb 4, 2013
    Somewhere in the US of A
    Here in Okemah, ok. Getting 3g full bars with my Verizon phone. If you don't care the price and want the coverage, Verizon all the way. But if you do switch to Verizon, might as well just get a phone with them too. I use my phone as a hotspot, no need for a jetpack except if I just want to pay for an additional line.

9. MsMoJo

MsMoJo Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2012
    Conway, AR
    I am in Indiana now I pais and can't even use facebook! not a happy trucker! my laptop is all i have and the money I've spent for nothing???

10. X-Country

X-Country Medium Load Member

Mar 27, 2014
    couple of options.

buy a data card and activate it through a carrier. (verizon is ideal). 3g cards can still use the 3g broadband data amplifiers made by cyfres and maximum signal.

http://www.maximumsignal.net

I have no affiliation with them but I bought one of their 3g amps a few years ago for my data card and they work flawlessly. nw oklahoma between weatherford and dodge city, ks where this is no signal...I had 5 bars and full service.

or you can get a 4g card and wait for the broadband amps from maximum signal to get their FCC approval and then go that route.

currently I use my galaxy s3 with foxfi on verizon and tether/hotspot to my laptop. once the 4g/lte amps are approved by the FCC then i will get one via maximum signal.

truck stop wifi is a joke. i dont even bother. my company spends millions in fuel and we as drivers cant even get free wifi.

11. markjustin

markjustin Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2014
    I'm at the Waddy Ky location. It has been down for about ten days over an ISP issue. they can't offer anything but an apology and a ONE day credit, instead of the TEN day credit I feel they owe me. They also cannot tell me any idea as to when this problem will be resolved. Will i re-up for their service? I wont rule it out completely but if i do, this "problem" and their solution, and their untimely resolve of it will leave a bitter taste in my mouth. I told them i would be on the phone daily to complain to them and that i would be posting about it online in whatever forums i can, as well as their own website via their "contact us". The service is anything but fast when it does work. At this point i cannot recommend this service. I will follow up on this post to let you know the final outcome. Thank you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.