wanna help me test lug indicators?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by dieselsteampunk, Apr 19, 2018.

1. dieselsteampunk

dieselsteampunk Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2018
    Would anyone be interested in some custom made lug nut indicators? I plan on having some different designs and colors if they work out. I've designed and 3D printed some regular looking lug nut indicators. I put a tab on the other side to make them easier to pull off. I have test fitted them on 1-1/2" lug nuts and 33mm lug nuts. I would like to see if anyone in the kansas city area would be willing to help me test them out. I need to know if they will stand up to heat and stay on. They only work if you don't have lug nut covers already on. Right now I only have black, and their melting temp is around 375 to 400F. But I'm not sure if they will deform and fall off at a lower temp, that's why I need a tucker tester. If you would like to help me out by taking pictures of them on your wheels before and after trips, I would give you 10 for free, and would like them to be installed 5 on a front wheel and 5 on a rear wheel. Let me know so we can meet up.
    Thanks, Dustin

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    You might go to a truck stop and ask there. Not sure of what you are offering. Are these caps for the lug nuts them selves? Are they going to be on Thingiverse?

Never mind I just looked it up. Interesting idea

dieselsteampunk and 91B20H8 Thank this.
  4. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Pulling them off in the cold weather breaks the brand we use.. if someone gets the wheel end hot enough to melt them I think they would have other issues to worry about

dieselsteampunk and lovesthedrive Thank this.
  5. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Nope they are ugly as homemade sin .

6. dieselsteampunk

dieselsteampunk Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2018
    Interesting, what brand do you use? Ours sometimes melt off because they are on bus wheels, constant braking heats the wheels to over 350F when the retarder is off.

7. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Might be better to make them from stamped metal then. At least then heat wont be an issue.

8. Colt6920

Colt6920 Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2017
    I would not sell or use these.
    The performance of a lug nut in holding the wheel onto the truck is highly dependent on torque, which creates clamping force.
    Something like a loose lug nut flag, especially if it is made of ABS, will squish and wear over time, and the clamping force from the lug nut will be reduced to almost nothing, creating a loose wheel situation, possibly a serious wreck.

9. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    It is why I suggested getting something from stamped metal.

10. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Huh? They dont go on the stud, they go on/over the nut like chrome lug nut covers. The indicators play no part in the wheel except to let you know if a lug has turned.

Farmerbob1 and magoo68 Thank this.
  11. Colt6920

Colt6920 Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2017
    Oops, looks like I completely misinterpreted how these work. Sorry.

magoo68 and Blackshack46 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.