want a cdl-a but...

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by uscscott, Feb 28, 2019.

1. uscscott

uscscott Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2019
    I have been in the same industry since the early 80's. Recently cut and would like to get my cdl and start driving. Have wanted to for some time. Started investigating different companies to get training support. But i am now being told by those that i have sent applications in to are refusing me based on my history. I had 3 dui's in my youth. all coming at or about the same time. 2 in 80 and last one in 1983. Thats when i went to treatment for alcoholism. Have been sober since that time. I was in the service at the time of the first 2. Served USAF 1978-1982. Honorably discharged. But i really do have a checkered past. Guess i am paying for it now! But i was wondering if there were any companies that would hire me if i went out on my own and paid for my cdl through a local school. Thanks for any help or advice that you guys can offer.

austinmike Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where is your location; state and nearest city/town?
    Yes, you're hirable, but we need to know the hiring area you live in.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Those are ancient. The 80's do not matter if you never held a Class A and got those DUI's

What will happen is if you applied to certain companies that ask if you EVER had been arrested for DUI in your life, you have to say yes. Because if you lied and say no, they find out through databases etc they fire you with prejudice instantly. And fly someone to collect the 18 wheeler youre in. Leave you aside to make your own way home with your stuff.

A possible workaround is that Juvenile under 18 crimes may not exist. I did a few things in that youth myself and frankly there is nothing anywhere. zip. Ancient history.

Companies will hire truckers when they finish school. The nature of this industry is the loss rate among those who get CDL's and try to drive and stop for a variety of reasons. We always need more replacements. That's you. IF you want this you make a go of it and see how it works out for you.

austinmike Thanks this.
  5. uscscott

uscscott Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2019
    Thanks, I live in Lake Wylie SC very close to Charlotte NC (8 miles). Appreciate any info you can help me with. Thanks alot.

austinmike Thanks this.
  6. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    Chinatown is your man

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    First, most applications ask questions about DUI's in two ways;
    "Have you ever had a DUI?"
    or
    "Have you had a DUI within the last 7 years?"
    Do not answer; "No, none within the last 7 years, but I did have 3 in my younger days."
    So, read questions carefully and never reveal anything that isn't specifically asked for.
    Those old DUI's may show up anyway on a background check, but with some companies that won't matter because they're so old, plus you were honest on the job applications.

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Probably a good way to start is by attending a private cdl school. Choose the cheapest 160 hr. school you can find. Community college cdl schools are really good also and if one of those is near you, try for it.

9. Arel3

Arel3 Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2018
    The dui's aren't the reason they're declining to hire you. It's either something else on your record or life is trying to tell you driving a truck isn't for you.

Many companies are that desparate for drivers they're putting a ton of people through school like cattle. One of those might be a good option for you. Little to no company is going to hire someone to drive that doesn't have any driving experience.

Roehl
    C.r. england
    Millis
    Werner
    Swift
    Crest
    Western Express
    Prime

Those are some of the truck driver cattle companies. They pay for your training/school and require you to work for them for so long (a year usually) after school which gets you experience other companies will then consider hiring you once you have.

I'm not promising you're going to love working for any of them or that you'll like truck driving at all. They're suggestions of places you can pretty easily get in the industry with.

I suggest you go with what life is trying to tell you.

10. uscscott

uscscott Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2019
    Thanks, I know that they only ask about 10,7,5,3 yr. driving history but since I do work a program of recovery that requires honesty. I realized answering the application that i need to complete it with total honesty. I assumed that they would go way back despite the listed time periods. For me, its the best policy. Thanks for the response.

austinmike Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Carolina Logistic in Candler, NC has their own cdl school and might hire you.
    www.carolinalogistic.com
    Carolina CDL Training Center is offering CDL class A training to residents of Carolinas, Tennessee, and Virginia.
    Full course 4-week training is $3,500. Contract financing is available.

*$0 out of pocket Training with one-year employment commitment
    *DMV fees and Medical Certificate expenses are not included
    *Housing available at additional cost

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.