want a cdl-a but...

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by uscscott, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Honesty is fine, but don't go overboard because that doesn't work in trucking.
    "You're under arrest for robbing a bank on Feb. 4, 2019."
    "Ok, you got me, but what about the other two I robbed in December 2018?"

x1Heavy, austinmike and buddyd157 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uscscott

uscscott Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2019
    Actually, They stated that they never even checked past the initial app. That i sent. But when they asked me to confirm that I did have 3 dui's they said they wont take anyone with more than 2. So far Millis, Swift, Schneider, US xpress said no. No more that 2. Some of the hiring actually will tell you beside the company name in requirment etc... No more than 1 in a lifetime. No more than 2 etc... So far, cant find anyone that wants to gamble on me due to the "wreckage of my past" But thanks for your post.

4. uscscott

uscscott Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2019
    I just figured that if I didnt come clean now. They would eventually find out and fire me immediately. I didnt want that to happen. Especially if they put the cause down. Yes, I agree with what you said. I would never be honest to the point that it would injure myself or someone else. But i dont want to be dishonest either. It could injure me worse in the long run

5. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i would say that since i have been in this industry for 48 years now, 100% honesty, will get you no where, despite your "recovery"

the 1980's do not count anymore. on most if not all job applications, they go back about 5 years on your driving record...now,....IF YOU MAKE THEM SUSPICIOUS, THEY CAN AND WILL order up a lifetime DMV on you, so SHUT THE HELL UP.....!!!!

now try a few companies, you haven't tried yet, including any that chinatown suggested...

you can also try (maybe thru the Vets GI BILL) to get schooling from your GI benefits, then apply to companies WHEN YOU GET your CDL, and again...SHUT THE HELL UP about your past...

best of luck to you.

truckguy391, x1Heavy and Chinatown Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Try some 2nd chance companies that hire from private cdl schools, but don't give information that isn't asked for. You're only hurting yourself when you do.
    TransAm
    USA Truck
    Celadon - www.driveceladon.com
    Senn Freight Lines (Newberry, SC)
    Paschall Truck Lines
    Western Express
    Roadtex Transportation
    Carolina Cargo Freight - www.carolinacargofreight.com
    Carolina Southern Inc. - www.carolinasoutherninc.com
    Rusty Dog Express
    Liberty Logistics - Address: 4149 Arcadia Industrial Cir SW, Lilburn, GA 30047

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  7. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    Try covenant. They hired me with way more than you’ve got. All from the 80s and 90s.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  9. uscscott

uscscott Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2019
    Did you answer honestly when asked if you ever had your license revoked? I woulnt feel comfortable being dishonest about that. Also drivers had warned me about not answering that question honestly as it will get you fired. And disparaging comments put on your file. Just want to make sure that wont happen. Actually, if they just asked if I had any violations in the last 5 yrs i could easily answer NO.

buddyd157 and austinmike Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There is a thing in this industry as a sort of a necessary evil.

Let's say I had your 18 wheeler with a load of wine and I was speeding on the GWB one night, broke a pallets worth.

Which is the greater issue? Me buying that much wine in the shop a few blocks away by the case to build that pallet so that no one ever knows but me? It never happened. If you the trucking company does not know damages happened on my end, no harm no foul.

If you DID know then.. well Im out of work, you have a stranded truck that will probably get stripped and god only knows what happens to the rest of that wine which you will pay for and never drink a drop.

This industry is not.. black and white. If I spent 3000 dollars against a loss of 30,000 for being unhireable to cargo damage. 3000 is cheap. You follow me?

Let's step a little further. Suppose I applied to another company and somehow they were aware that I had some cargo damage. Because they know people who were involved in my wine fiasco. Ask me about it? Well there are stories and there is keeping quiet. I never volunteer anything, if anything they have to make a case and show me evidence. If they did, they will get told the story whatever may happen. It's over, the damaged wine was replaced and as far as the trucking is concerned no damage to load. Delivered as BOL'ed etc. (The seal will be a trip up but Im not introducing that wrinke to keep it simple)

That kind of cargo damage in losses is enough to keep anyone from being hireable in this industry IF it makes a database or into the employers history anywhere. If it happened.

I work hard sometimes to make it right without the employer being wiser. IF that makes me dishonest then I don't know where to argue that end. I replaced and paid for the damage in cash on the spot. It;s over. Would YOU prefer the whole truck load be lost? Of course not.

There is value to being silent. Decades later there is value to stories to teach lessons on how to be silent.

Now, if you wish to be totally honest, then call your boss and say you broke stuff and it's going to be very expensive to fix it. Ive made a whole lot of those calls. Sometimes the boss made it paid, othertimes took it out of my pay or fired me and so on. Whatever happens is happen.

There is one thing. The most horrible are the calls on the SMALLEST of stuff in damage. I once took up three payphones. One contained my angry dispatcher in one ear, another contained someone in the NYC trade center and a third back overseas in Holland that flew the Tomatos in the bottom of 900 pounds of green peppers which got crushed on the way to Philly overnight from Kennedy. Something like 45 dollars american in destroyed tomatoes you cannot get for love or money anywhere in North America.

But it is still a special order which is lost. SOmeone is going to be paying for that. My boss paid ultimately. Why? Because he did not have a air ride reefer truck like they asked for.

This industry does not run on honesty. If they really did? Like your principles setforth and so on? The whole nation would cry in hunger because not a single truck can run on time with the right freight.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  11. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    To be honest I don’t remember. But they did go thru things with a fine tooth comb

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.