Want to avoid getting burned by a lease-purchase agreement?

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by rookietrucker, Dec 13, 2009.

1. IMTruckingIThink

IMTruckingIThink Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Napptown, MD.
    ok your its an aquisition fee same as with a car and if my numbers are right total paid for truck will be around 28 grand which is about 6 grand more than one with the same miles in going for online

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. average joe

average joe Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2009
    I repeat see post # 1

Hermit825 Thanks this.
  4. Longshot34

Longshot34 Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2010
    InTheSticks, USA
    LOL LOL LOL...when you find the company that gets you "home when I say I need to be there", then please...let all of us know! I was hired on to a local carrier a few months back, with the promise that I would be home 6 to 7 nights of our 8 day week...I got home last night...AFTER 5 WEEKS OUT!!! I go out again tonight for a "short-haul" to Lodi, Ohio and back (home is in VA) but, I'm sure, in fact willing to bet my paycheck that this "short-haul" will morph into at least 3 weeks out.

5. Markk9

Markk9 "On your mark"

Nov 26, 2006
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Millis Transfer is the company you are looking for. When I drove OTR with them for 3 years, I was only late getting home twice. Both times I was home the next day before noon.

They were are great company when I worked for them, if I ever go OTR they will be my first call.

Mark

6. mindcrime83

mindcrime83 Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    can you guys give us newbs an idea of the tactics and promises they use to entice you into leasing? i'll be in the industry by the end of the year, and would appreciate knowing what to look out for. from what im hearing, this is a pretty obvious scam, so they must be doing something right to get these poor guys to sign on the dotted line. granted, there is always someone around the corner that will sign anything without thinking, but it would be good for us all to know what to watch out for and how to combat against them.

know thy enemy, etc etc :biggrin_25514:

7. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Never sign anything you do not completey understand.
    Never sign a contract without sleeping on it at least one night.
    Seek a trusted person's advice concerning any contract.
    If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
    Make sure they answer ALL your questions fully to your satisfaction
    If you dont understand something....ask, ask, ask.
    If they try and change the subject, move you to 'another way of seeing things', run
    Make sure you are in this business for a minimum of one year before committing
    Pay a lawyer to review the contract and explain it to you in terms you understand. it will be the best $300 you ever spent.

panhandlepat Thanks this.
  8. Krooser

Krooser Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Simple...ignore all lease/purchase offers....

panhandlepat Thanks this.
  9. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    The trick is weekly payments. What are you going to do when you have a bad week?

What are you going to do when you go home?

When you play catchup, it's hard to ketchup!

You will see alot of paychecks with a minus sign in front of the pay.

panhandlepat and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  10. bikermike

bikermike Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2010
    I wish I would have read this before I got talked into my lease and didnt make any of the money promised.

11. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    From what I've read, never go with a lease to purchase option from any company because it is too easy to be screwed over.

Go company driver until you can manage the down payment to purchase your own truck from an uninterested/unbiased financing firm.

New drivers should 'just say no ('at least for now' - as far as the recruiters are concerned)' when that option is presented to them.

70s_driver Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.