Want to play recruiter?

Discussion in 'Watkins & Shepard' started by reptij, Oct 13, 2011.

1. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

the website hasnt been updated since 2008. They closed the school down in 2009 or 2010 i cant remember. They do not have Trainers because they only hire good drivers so no need to spend months on the road with a trainer.

And yes on the unloads, but you will NEVER have a stop like that :biggrin_2559:.

American Trucker

mje Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. reptij

reptij Medium Load Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Good info thanks!

mje Thanks this.
  4. Nevanerviss

Nevanerviss Bobtail Member

Mar 29, 2011
    MOTOWN!!!
    Oh, well, then I got SCREWED!!! I had a 14 stop load out of the Myrtle terminal a couple months ago that I listed as a piece count on the trip envelope...

I need to get that fixed ASAP!!!!

mje Thanks this.
  5. American-Trucker

Nov 8, 2009

haha dont feel bad i did that once on a stop 17 load lost myself like $80 in stop pay :biggrin_25523:

American Trucker

mje Thanks this.
  6. Truckersmooth

Truckersmooth Light Load Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Denver, CO
    American Trucker, Since the company hires only "good" drivers and offer no training, how much experience is required before they will hire? I know most companies with this same type of structure require at least 2 to 3 years OTR.. How about watkins?

mje Thanks this.
  7. the flying scotsman

the flying scotsman Medium Load Member

Jul 28, 2010
    Portland, OR
    oh and if you haul Pier 1 out of WA, which i do alot of its 40 bucks a drop....but you work for it!!

oh and regarding paying lumper's ive never bothered with tcheck yet... i run alot of stuff to winco dist in portland and modesto....a heavy full trailer will set you back 130 bucks in fee's, i just pay the guys cash and get a receipt everytime...and i ALWAYS get it straight back in my following week's pay...this makes it easier when you have a delivery appointment in the middle of the night...just pay the guy and go!, but thats just my preference...as stated you dont need to be out of pocket!

also AT mentioned we run 48 and eastern Canada...its actually the western provinces, hence the reason WA,ID,MT drivers need to be legal to cross border...

But AT is an "american Trucker" LOL....maybe he is not too concerned with the "stuff in the attic" :biggrin_25513:

8. American-Trucker

Nov 8, 2009

they will hire a student straight out of school, but you need to be able to back, shift and drive. Some people come out of school so bad that they NEED to spend a few months with a trainer we will not hire thoes people, they get sent home.

But if you can get in a truck and prove that you can safely and efficantly operate a truck without damaging it they will hire you.

The dont expect perfection but you gotta have a working understanding of how to do the job, they will teach you everything else you need to know while in the 10 day orientation. They will also work on shifting, backing and driving techniques.

American Trucker

mje Thanks this.
  9. Mooniac

Mooniac Medium Load Member

May 19, 2008
    Vancouver, Washington
    One more clarification AT... The pet deposit of $500 is just that, a deposit. If your truck is clean and undamaged when you leave or quit having a pet, the $500 deposit is returned.:biggrin_25519:

By the way Reptij.... Great thread!!!

mje Thanks this.
  10. the flying scotsman

the flying scotsman Medium Load Member

Jul 28, 2010
    Portland, OR
    lol...a realiable source joked with me about not knowing anybody who ever got that back....:)

mje and American-Trucker Thank this.
  11. Shiftin

Shiftin Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Central-New Jersey
    Yes they will reimburse you for school up to ($2000, dont quote me on the amount) if you go through a school approved by W&S. It is $100 a month paid on the 3rd pay of the month, same time as your bonus. I run out of NJ and do about 30 to 40 stops a week, 2000-2500 miles and I'm home every weekend and most of the time wednesday nights. (run 3 days and reload and run for two more days). Unloads and pick-ups are $20 for each. 90% of the time I just bring the freight to the tail of the tractor. At least 50% of my stops are unloaded by the receivers (no touch except opening and closing the doors, Haha). Running this way I dont deal with QC, #8's or fuel stop routing or routing itself. They give me my stops and I route myself.

Nycmex77 and mje Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.