Wanting back in the flatbed game

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Displaced Yooper, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Displaced Yooper

Displaced Yooper Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    I'm about as tired of this doorslamming gig as I can get. I'm making OK money right now, but if I was happy with 'OK' money, I would've stayed a company driver.

I'd like some advice from the old grizzled ones. I'll lay out my tentative plans here & let you guys poke holes in them so I don't make too many mistakes when I start laying down my cash for equipment & wave bye-bye to docks & door times.

First, I'm looking at four companies to lease on with. In no particular order:

Bennett Motor Express
    Mercer Transportation
    Admiral Merchants
    Greentree Transportation

I was originally all gung-ho about getting an RGN & getting back into OD & heavy haul, but after talking with a lot of people, I've decided I like the LTL deal a lot better. Less headaches, less stress, less overhead.
    Any thoughts you guys have on these companies would be greatly appreciated.

Now on to equipment. I'll be keeping the T2 in my sig for a while, as she's been good to me so far. I need to get a good trailer.
    I can go a few different routes here, and want to hear your take on them.

1. Flat or stepdeck
    2. All Aluminum or composite
    3. new or used
    4. 48x102, 53x102, or some variation in between

My gut reaction is to go used, get a decent 48x102 aluminum flat as cheap as I can & go to the races. The truck is kinda heavy (21,500 w/ full tanks, me and my stuff on board), so I expect with a headache rack, chains, binders & tarps, I'll probably be closer to 23k. I'm thinking lightweight is gonna be a good thing when I buy a trailer.
    But when I start looking at used trailers, I really wonder what I should be looking for... What's going to really be a necessity, and what's just fluff? What's too old? What do I really need to avoid? Am I just asking for trouble going used instead of just buying new & getting what I want from the get go?
    Those of you who have dealt with all this before, asked all those questions, and started a lot of thoughts with "Next time I'm gonna get...", please help me make some good choices & avoid some pitfalls.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    IMO, I'd buy new. Just look at truck paper right now and you'll see 5 year old trailers going at 75-80% of new, when you can find them. I' d personally wait until you switch companies before buying though to make sure what you'll buy will be the best for where you are. It would suck to buy a two axle step, go to Bennett and find out they have a ton of three axle freight and awesome rates. Or buy a step and then realize a 53 flat is better for your area and the company you chose.

4. Displaced Yooper

Oct 18, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Appreciate the input, fortycalglock. I was kind of feeling the same way about used flat prices. I'm a little skittish about buying a three axle. Don't really think this truck's specs would handle a lot of heavy loads like that without busting at the seams sooner or later. I could be wrong, just don't want to get in over my head.

5. aiwiron

aiwiron Road Train Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    Just tossing in a little information, OD and OS loads are starting to move at 1.00 per axle now. So a regular tractor capable of pulling a 3 axle trailer can ask 6.00 per mile at this time, that is rates for under 80,000 GVW and not oversize either.

Displaced Yooper and V8SuperDog Thank this.
  6. Displaced Yooper

Oct 18, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Thanks for the info, aiwiron. Any recommendations on companies?

7. aiwiron

aiwiron Road Train Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    Companies will not pay that rate, I suggest strictly O/O myself. Some companies are only paying 1.80 a mile and best rates are around 2.70 per mile.

If you could do the independent route I highly recommend it.

8. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    how much weight can you save if you pull all your skirting off the tractor and all that other hardware? You'll be hard pressed to be "aero" with a flat or step.

Loose the ground effects should help considerably I would think.

Displaced Yooper Thanks this.
  9. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    He wouldn't lose anything most likely, and gain some probably. Those fairings are light, but if removes them from the driver door back, he'll need to add steps to the catwalk/headache rack. Those most likely will be a step box for storage, along with their brackets and the junk going in, on top of loosing any aero gains possible.

10. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    exactly, he's GOT to add storage anyway.

And fiberglass isn't the lightest on the market.

He's going to have to play a give and take game here.

11. WMGUY

WMGUY Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Nine Mile Falls, WA
    i like the 53 102 step it gives the option to pull more stuff, it is a little heavy though

as for a company have you thought about sammons?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.