Wanting to become a driver

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Corn-Fed, Oct 21, 2019.

1. FerrissWheel

FerrissWheel Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2015
    NV
    Some you can get a federal grant via Fafsa depending on institution. Certainly one out of a community college, and i know some "trucking schools" allegedly get this too. Also many trucking schools will finance, but its usually with the caveat you go with thier prefered Carrier. So buyer be ware.

Corn-Fed Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Corn-Fed

Corn-Fed Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Big Clifty, Ky
    That may be I had a cousin go through Truck America Training a couple years ago in Shepardsville, Ky. She swears by it went to work for super service after that. I just ain't sure I can get financing for school so looking at all my options.

FerrissWheel Thanks this.
  4. FerrissWheel

FerrissWheel Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2015
    NV
    That case, youd need to call any near you that you may attend. They will know thier financing options if any, it changes so much institution to institution, i don't wanna throw out any blanket statements.

Corn-Fed Thanks this.
  5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Jim Palmer only allows pets/riders after 6 months of clean driving, IIRC. Good company, good training, IMO.

6. Corn-Fed

Dec 24, 2016
    Big Clifty, Ky
    Alrighty I've got one for you. Called Jim Palmer and they require that I hold my regular license for 3 years. Which I have not. They also have a good pet policy 60 days after you finish training. I asked what if I had my cdl already they still want three years with regular license.

Called Prime and they test on automatics. So I let it go at that. I'm not interested in a automatic restriction.

Called CDL Training Services and Consultng in Elizabethtown, Ky. They offer a 160 hr course and it cost 4.5 grand in cash. They also offer financing through Us Exspress for 7 grand. Waiting on one of the schools recruiters to call me back now for some more questions.

So I get on us exspress website only thing I saw that interested me was pet policy. How bad is us exspress really cause I've never heard any good. Any ideas on who to call next. Yes I'm going to call us exspress.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  8. Corn-Fed

Dec 24, 2016
    Big Clifty, Ky
  9. Corn-Fed

Dec 24, 2016
    Big Clifty, Ky
    500 dollar non refundable pet policy fee 1 pet per person. Apperantly a rider can also bring a pet. They test on manuals or automatics depending on which I would prefer. The lady I talked to is going to have a student recruiters contact me. About time I found one that claims to test on manuals. Sorry China didn't mean to make it sound like I found it. Calling company after company is beginning to be a chore.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. Corn-Fed

Dec 24, 2016
    Big Clifty, Ky
    CFI school student recruiter says they only test on automatics. DANG IT!
    Talked to Truck America Training in Hillview, Ky miracle I reckon. All they test on is manuals. 160 hour school. Basically 4,400 dollars for the classes. They will finance the classes if I get 3 pre hires. They figure due to some of my complications it may be difficult to find a few pre hires but us xpress should be one they figure. So I figure it is time I admit a minor problem I should've mentioned, didn't think it would be a problem I have not currently held my license for one full year yet. I will have towards the end of January. Us Xpress only requires 6 months CFI doesn't care how long I've held it either. However due to automatic testing, they are a company I don't approve of. Truck America is emailing me a packet for their school for me to send in. I realize I'm not helping much by not having my license very long. Would prefer to start driving sooner than later that's the reason I'm trying not to wait a full year. And no my license wasn't suspended I was young and dumb and kept putting off getting it. Still am young and dumb just trying to make up for my mistakes.

11. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
    You could save up a month expenses and the cost of a CDL school.

Corn-Fed Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.