Wanting to become a driver

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Corn-Fed, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    R.E. West cdl school is free and no contract to sign. It's the only company I know of with that policy.

Corn-Fed Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Corn-Fed

Corn-Fed Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Big Clifty, Ky
    I'm very interested in seeing what they have to say. You've been a massive help throughout all of this thank you.

4. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Chances are they will test you on a manual then stick you in an auto.

Per my driving instructor automatics recently started becoming more cost effective. They save on gas mileage. That's what I was told, but I'm no mechanic. They shift fairly smoothly most of the time. At least the Freightliners and Volvos I've been in so far. The Volvo trucks are more ergonomic than the Freightliners, and the Freights leak water when it rains. lol

But I like the Freightliner. She gets me where I need to go.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yes, with an automatic, much better fuel mileage. Some disagree, but the facts speak for themselves.

6. Corn-Fed

Dec 24, 2016
    Big Clifty, Ky
    I look at it fairly straight forward why teach someone to do something that technology has made "redundant". New drivers could easily tear out a clutch or a transmission in general, so by having an automatic it makes them less likely to be destroyed by new drivers. They would Also be more fuel efficient with new drivers however every vehicle I've ever seen gets better mileage with a stick than an auto, however that is only in personal vehicles not semi trucks.

BigDog Trucker Thanks this.
  7. BigDog Trucker

BigDog Trucker Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2018
    If you know how to drive and control your rpm's, then youre getting better mileage and saving your brakes.

8. Corn-Fed

Dec 24, 2016
    Big Clifty, Ky
    Ive been thinking about updating this thread for awhile and as i stand in a loves washing clothes i figure now is a good time to do so. I waited until after the holidays to attend cdl school. I went to cdl training serrvices and consulting in Elizabethtown, Ky. The school was good better than i expected however the property is a bit run down. The instructors were good people. Im glad to have attended but i had one major problem that i still hate, i have an automatic restriction. I know how to get it lifted so I'm not asking questions. I passed all test first try written and road test. No endorsements yet but i have to obtain hazmat where i work. Im working on that and studying for the test yet, with all that is going on now it may be awhile before the dmv opens up back home.
    I wound up hiring on with CFI. Here is what i can say so far they've been ok. Im currently out with a trainer. I have to say he is doing a good job and is awake and in the jump seat when im driving. We do not run team. Which was one of my big requirements in a company. I haven't been here long enough to form an opinion and thats the truth. So far we have had good miles and my paychecks look pretty. Thats about all i can say once im in my own truck we will see how it goes.
    So experiences so far learning to actually back into a spot or a dock is far more difficult than i thought it would be. (I anit seen nothing yet). Traffic has been good ive not hit rush hour yet but i suppose thats what happens when people stay home. New York is pretty country but Texas is beautiful. There is definitely a lack of truck parking. It doesn't take long to figure that out.
    I will say this so far im glad ive gone over the road. I looked into local class b work but never applied. As I thought when i moved on someone else would want class a experience. I wanted to do otr anyway so i went with it. So far leaving the drive way has been the hardest thing ive done but, im getting used to being gone form home. Hope everyone is well. Im going watch my clothes spin round and round for awhile. Hope to see some responses or questions if you have any.

9. Corn-Fed

Dec 24, 2016
    Big Clifty, Ky
    Ive got a couple of quick questions for anyone who could awnser them. Im hopefully going to upgrade to my own truck next week so Id like to know these things. As we are preffered not to idle. Not a problem as i sleep comfy most nights with the truck off.
    No 1 If i park for a ten hour break with the truck off could i run the truck and trailer marker lights with the headlights off or would that run the battery dead?
    No 2 We have 1500 watt inverters cobra brand i believe. I want to get an actual mini fridge and run off the inverter. Would i be able to run said inverter all night or 10 hr break using the fridge or would that run the battery dead?
    No 3. If yes to both above could i have both on for the 10 hr break and still have enough juice to start the truck after my break?
    The trucks are KW T680 i dont know how many batteries or how many amps they are because the step is bolted on. Hopefully you all can awnser my questions thanks.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you are unemployed to covid19 you can stack the federal 600 per week until 7000 is reached. 6000 for school and 1000 for your first two months expenses OTR.

Corn-Fed Thanks this.
  11. A Bug

A Bug Heavy Load Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Sevierville TN
    The fridge will drain your battery fast while the truck is off. Even trucks that are designed to shut off when power level gets low will fail at times and leave you stranded with a dead battery.

I have been stuck a couple times now with a dead truck in below-freezing temperatures. Probably best to just use cooler.

Jenn72 and Corn-Fed Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.