Wanting to become a driver

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Corn-Fed, Oct 21, 2019.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That goes against my experience in winter. Never shut off in winter. A dead truck will be worth your life in certain temperature and weather situations.

Corn-Fed Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    An inverter could possibly kill the batteries overnight. I have a factory fridge and I can leave the truck sit for 3 days with it on and it'll still start, but not well. Most inverters should have a low voltage cutoff that will save the battery, you'll have to check yours.

Actually now that I think about it, a Volvo I used to run had a small fridge running off a big inverter (big enough for the microwave) and I never shut that fridge off and it never killed the batteries.

Corn-Fed Thanks this.
  4. Corn-Fed

Corn-Fed Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Big Clifty, Ky
    So running a fridge all ten hour break would be bad. We can idle below 35 and above 75. Of course there are easy work arounds where the truck will idle anyway, but I hoped i could run a fridge for the night without idling. However it doesn't sound like i can. Hometime wouldn't have been a problem as the trucks have shore power plug. When I get my own truck ill have to see what inverter it has to tell if it will automatically shut off or not. No one awnsered but i assume i could run the marker lights all night without problem.

5. Corn-Fed

Dec 24, 2016
    Big Clifty, Ky
    As I sit around on hometime a tad bit of boredom sits on me. Ive decided to update my thread. I hired on with cfi in March and have seen several people leave here in that time. My trainer and two friends here have left and all of em left because of hometime issues. I respect that and understand that because if I had that problem I'd leave too. Ive been here for 6 months going on 7. I still have no problems with cfi none worth really complaining about maybe I'm stupid, maybe I realize any job is better than no job.

I stayed out 11 weeks this time around and mainly came home for a homecoming. Last time I came home I got my dog and he has been a salvation in over the road driving. I could stay out 6 or 7 weeks before but now ive yet to feel an end where I need to be home.

My biggest challenge with the lifestyle is boredom I find myself bored not while driving but if I'm sitting still ill eat for something to do. I need some form of mental stimulus instead of just drive sleep repeat. Swinging doors is boring. There i said it. I used to do manual labor but, then i started driving a truck and I truly love it but I want some kind of a challenge. Here lately I've been thinking a lot about coming home and getting a job running a wrecker because it seems like it would be fun. I don't want to leave cfi they've been good for me and or to me. So what would you all recommend? If anything.

I noticed real well the last few days being back on the farm I'm out of shape and, I've been noticing it for a while. I try and eat out of the truck because its cheaper as is I pay 1g a month for my cdl school payment and nearly have it paid of. Yet I know I need to make a change and get more exercise its pretty bad when I can't go for much more than a short walk through the yard packing a sledge hammer and get slight winded. I was wrestling around a tiller for the tractor today and got out of breath. So clearly I need more cardio. Walking seems like a good bet but I just won't make the time. I take a shower on my 30 usually. When I'm loading/unloading I wait in the truck and that would be a good time for some exercise.

I know I'm rambling its been a long day and I've worked on typing this throughout the day. But my biggest problem with driving a truck is a personal problem i find myself bored so I eat, which in turn makes me gain weight. Which makes it harder to move around and live comfortably. I need some kind of mental stimulus something that makes me think and i have no idea what that needs to be. I have a TV and use it and its great its does as its supposed to but id like to have a situation where I go how am I going to do that. Don't get me wrong I still run into challenging backing situations or tight turns. I'm curious though if I just find swinging doors boring and wouldn't be happier pulling a flat. But that comes into i really enjoy my time at cfi and don't want to leave but the only thing we do is dry van. I need to stick around till about April next year before I really consider making a move somewhere else.

So in short does anyone have any idea what I could take up in the truck that provides a challenge? Ive been trying to walk more for a basic exercise to get blood pumping and the muscles worked loose from driving all day. I just don't know how to explain what I'm trying to ramble on about but if someone understands me feel free to offer me some input.

Just passing by and Coffey Thank this.
  6. Atlaw4u

Atlaw4u Heavy Load Member

Jun 8, 2018
    Search this forum. There were several discussion on exercising in your truck. Also, maybe consider moving to open deck. Nothing gets your cardio going like dragging some tarps around or strapping down a load of wattles.

7. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    You pay $1000.00 per month for your CDL SCHOOL!!!!!?????? How much did they charge you??

Coffey Thanks this.
  8. Corn-Fed

Dec 24, 2016
    Big Clifty, Ky
    7 grand it took me a few months to be able to pay that much though.

9. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    Holy crap Batman. I went to the Swift Academy in Phoenix 4 years ago. Tuition was $3900. No money up front. I paid $150 per month, ($37.50 per week) payroll deduction., For 13 months. Total cost to me was $1950. Swift matched the other $1950. If I would have stayed an additional 13 months, they would have ADDED $37.50 per week to my check reimbursing me the $1950.00 that I paid the first year, making my cost of schooling ZERO! It just kills me how some people on this forum love to bash Company Sponsored training as "Indentured servitude" or other such garbage, yet encourage people to pay $7000.00 out of pocket for private CDL School. I never even missed that $37.50 per week out of my check. I sure would have felt the $1000.00 per month payment though. I got the same training that any other student gets at any other school. 160 hours and was taught HOW TO PASS THE DRIVING AND SKILLS TEST. That is what EVERY School teaches. And I paid 3 1/2 time less than you did. What is the interest rate on that student loan? Does your Company pay any portion of that $1000.00 per month in tuition reimbursement?? I am not digging on you, don't get me wrong. Just trying to make a point to some of the naysayers on this forum.

Dumdriver Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Roadmasters charges $7K for their school.

11. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    I know they do. And others charge more. I've heard numbers as high as $12,000. I finished school in 3 weeks, and was on the payroll at Swift by week 4. Made about $500.00 per week while with my "mentor" for about 5 1/2 weeks. Took home about $400. My take home pay during that 5-6 weeks, PAID FOR MY TRAINING. Once I went solo, and stuck around for a year my debt was paid. When I chose to go to Swift, I had the cash in the bank to pay them or any other outfit. Why in the hell would I shell out 4-10 K up front for schooling when I got an interest free loan from Swift that cost me $37.50 per week. You don't have to be a Rocket Surgeon to figure out which road to take in that situation!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.