Wanting to go roehl

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by whiterock48, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Dr. Venture

Dr. Venture Medium Load Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Ithaca, NY
    It's good for the ego. Makes you feel like a really bad ##* when you're done. Ha!

I don't know about this. I usually pick up at a lot of the same shippers, but you just never know where you are going to end up. I have unloaded everywhere from Downtown Chicago to a cow pasture in the middle of Arkansas. I love job site deliveries, you just never know what to expect. Nothing like locking the differentials in and going off-roading.

Exactly. Great information.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CMoore2004

CMoore2004 Road Train Member

Nov 2, 2007
    OTR
    I've talked to a few drivers recently who have hired on as flatbed and chose to go with van instead, mostly drivers sitting around at Gary like I have been most of this time out. Van doesn't have more options and flatbeds certainly go a lot more places than van, due to all the construction sites and such. I've delivered a roof for a house right to the actual house on flatbed--a one-time thing at a place not too many trucks will ever see. Also, we can choose to go to the van fleet at any time.

If you really want a challenge, try backing a flatbed into that same spot. Better yet, try backing a flatbed into a place that isn't even designed for trucks. The better challenge yet is trying to keep a 10'6" wide load in your 11' lane with the cement barriers on both sides of you at 60+ MPH. If you want to look back and be able to see what you've helped make, drive flatbed. If you want to wonder if some girl is wearing the tampon you delivered to the local Wal-Mart, go van.

4. Dr. Venture

Jun 29, 2008
    Ithaca, NY
    Better yet, try backing that spread fully loaded into a tight spot and not ripping a tire off.

5. southalabamatrucker

southalabamatrucker Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2008
    mobile, alabama
    wish I could help you decide but it is all up to you you have to decide if you whant to drive a flat bed truck or a box truck both have there advantages and disadvantages

6. Etch-A-Sketch

Etch-A-Sketch Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2008
    The Peach State
    If you really want to get a good laugh, just sit at any local truck stop and try to watch the flatbedders back into a tight parking spot between two trucks...haha:biggrin_255:

7. captK

captK Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Lynchburg, VA
    lmfao! Are those things made in China like everything else at WallyWorld?!? Been considering flat, but Roehl only does the Nat. Van thing out of my area. Also looking at Grayson Mitchell, flats out of the Emporia, VA area. God willin' and the creek don't rise I'll have my CDL on Dec. 2....lots of choices to consider. It seems to me that Roehl hires a quality crew. I think I'd be honored to join.
    Kevin

8. whiterock48

whiterock48 Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2008
    alexander city, al
    I am looking at going after the first of the year, but what about the
    weather up north and trying to get you training done.. I have thought
    it might be good to get some proper snow and ice traning at school and
    be better than over the road...

9. Dr. Venture

Jun 29, 2008
    Ithaca, NY
    I went in the Winter and loved it. The range is kept in good condition, as are the roads in the area. The instructors will take care to make conditions aren't too bad for safe training. Just dress warm as you'll be standing outside of the truck for long periods watching others practice backing. When I went to RDTC, I'd never driven a standard transmission or in the snow/ice.

10. kebo072

kebo072 Light Load Member

May 6, 2007
    bristol va
    that would be me:biggrin_25511:

11. Dr. Venture

Jun 29, 2008
    Ithaca, NY
    I don't even try and hit 'em anymore. I'm not so much worried about getting in between them as I am about peeling a tire off trying to get the angle.

:Wheel:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.