Warm-up procedures when starting from a cold start?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by petefan4000, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Mine spikes to 100psi on oil if i dont warm it up when its 40 or less. Been told by 4 diffrent dealers thats normal for a paccar and i shouldnt worry about it....butttttt om parinoid. So typically i wake up, start it and put my boots on and get ready. Usually by the time ive gotten dressed done my pretrip, double checked my route, poured myself some coffee and eaten breakfast its been about 20 mins and its ready to go.

mwhjr1988 and Mototom Thank this.
  4. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    Start it keeping a very sharp eye on oil pressure. Start the truck do an actual pre trip (not the drink coffee for 5mins kind) go take care of my business in the truck stop and just don't floor it till it warms up.

Diesels won't get to operating temp without a there being a load on the engine when it's cold out.

5. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    With the old trucks I run, building air pressure is more of the concern than the oil pressure.

Milr72 Thanks this.
  6. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    I put it in third gear, leave the clutch pedal out, and then start the engine and go. Saves on the clutch. If it's a slight downgrade, I do it in fifth.

Speaking of starters, anyone know a quality brand? I'm going through like three a month.

Mototom, beastr123, Oxbow and 9 others Thank this.
  7. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    If its 40 or above I build air and roll down the road. Granted I have 3 miles of gravel at 30mph before I give er the coals.
    Half mile before the shed I kick engine fan on, roll easily into the yard pull into the shed and shut her down

D.Tibbitt and God prefers Diesels Thank this.
  8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I've always let it idle for a minute or 2, then bump it up to around 1100-1200. Let it sit there for a couple minutes and that's good enough.

Cool off is more important IMO. About 1200 with the fan on for a few minutes to bring all the temperatures down and then idle and off.

Brettj3876 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  9. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Starters are overrated. Just park on a grade and pop start it like a real driver.

10. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    So we’re more afraid of idling a DEF rig to warm up because it will cause emissions issues?

do you kill it at red lights and stop signs too?

I guess it’s a waste of fuel but till my oil temp gauge moves and the regulators open I don’t move. A coolant regulators job is to prevent hot spots. Keep the coolant a consistent temp which in turn keeps the cast a consistent temp. There is always a shunt line in the system to bypass the regulators so coolant can flow and not dead head and make pressure. So here we have potential hot spots. It’s also best with cast to warm it and cool it slowly. Emissions or not an engine is still an engine.

cke, InTooDeep, Oxbow and 5 others Thank this.
  11. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Does that even work anymore with the electronically controlled engines?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.