warning for mudflap missing but cant tell

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by stylicho, May 14, 2010.

1. dmg1029

dmg1029 Light Load Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Coeur d Alene, ID
    All this for a mud flap? Why not just fix it? Pretty easy fix. Did you see it on during your pre-trip inspection?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. old-six-pack

old-six-pack Heavy Load Member

Oct 24, 2007
    vernon hill, va
    does it sound like he pretriped anything????????????? ...........recon he knows what is on the flip side of a log book page????????????????????

4. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

I got caught in TX when I lost a mudflap. The trooper pulled me over and asked if I knew why.

Told him no. I then said it could not be speeding since the truck only could do 63 in a 70.

He said I was missing a mud flap. Asked which one and he said Right rear. Went back and looked and it had ripped the entire thing off. Said it was there when I last stopped in Austin. Next truck stop was in OK about 30 miles up the road. Asked if he knew if they had a shop and he did not know.

No ticket, just get it fixed.

5. old-six-pack

old-six-pack Heavy Load Member

Oct 24, 2007
    vernon hill, va
    a ragged mud flap is the fasted way to get an inspection.... streight from the man's mouth

6. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

So let me see if I read this correct.
    Driver gets stopped. Bad / missing mudlfap.Ok I'll drop it and grab another trl. so I can go and ld my ld.

Am I reading this right?

That why he/she does not have to bother in getting it fixed. Let the next poor guy worry about it when they come get the trl. at 2 am or whatever time..

But I sent in msg. it needs fixed..
    Fix it...

You driver are a lazy water buffalo.
    You could of gotten it replaced right after you got that high dollar hurry up and wait ld. Or fixed it before lding.

But Oh No I can't be bothered by small repair issues..
    I'm to good for that..B.S.

Injun Thanks this.
  7. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Don I believe your incorrect, and surely don't need to attack the poster.

If you write it up on a DVIR and notify dispatch/service/safety what or how ever your company takes care of repairs you have fulfilled your obligation as a driver. As a driver it is not your place to baby sit defective equipment if there is safe legal equipment available.

Write it up, and get down the road....

8. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick

Yeah, what he said...It's your ticket. Even if it is a fix-it warning ticket. If you do not show that the problem was fixed, it will remain in your name. You're lucky it's not California: you would have to get the repair and then return to a DOT officer with the repaired trailer to show it was done, then the officer signs off on it. And it had better be done before you go into the next scale or you will get a ticket you'll have to actually pay. And they do check trailer numbers. They're not dummies.

Regarding just dropping a trailer, I'm on board with most of the real drivers here. I can't say how many times I've had to get repairs done on a trailer that was dropped by someone with a rookie attitude like yours. I hope you don't work for the company I'm returning to soon...I'd have to find you and feed you a mud flap.

rocknroll nik Thanks this.
  9. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    You were not issued a ticket. Just turn it in with a DVIR to your company. And thats that. If it were a ticket, I would hace called in to get permission to stop and get it repaired. This was kind of why I left May Truck. I was suppose to drop n hook in Albuquerque T/A, the trailer they wanted me to hook had 3 tire that were less that 1/32" I refude to hook up to them till they put tires on the trailer. They did, I turned the old tires into Phx yard and the held my safety bonus for refusing to hook to company trailer that had a number tag on them. They sent me with a load to drop in the Mire Loma yard and as soon as I dropped the load I quit. I refuse to work for a company that dose not want to maintain safe equipment. My final check they forwarded a freshly issued safety check with an apology (just to be fair). But I would go back.....

Bottom line Pretrip, inspect, walk around everytime you get out. I have seen driver cut mud flaps off trucks for blocking the fuel island... You have ro check.

10. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    I always carried an old ripped off mud flap in my side box that you can find on the ground at any truck stop. It wasn't 100%, but, could have been acceptable to any Cop. Why, you ask, would I do that? Just for this very reason, the driver replacing it himself would take 5 minutes and he would be on his way, right? Instead, too many people involved in a 10 cent problem.

Injun and rocknroll nik Thank this.
  11. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    Problem is the "union mentality" of "it's not my job...I drive it, they fix it."

Personally, I'm not above carrying extra lights, gladhand seals, nuts n bolts, tools...and when I ran for Swift, they would reimburse me for replacing mudflaps and then pay a little extra for doing it. Prime, as unhappy as I am with them, recently paid me for fixing a simple problem on the reefer unit that was preventing it from running. 10 minutes of my time equaled $75. No complaint there. And I didn't ask them for money...just remember me next time a decent load comes up.

rocknroll nik Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.