Warnings on your CSA score

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Rigbuilder, May 13, 2014.

1. TLeaHeart

TLeaHeart Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    again proves my point, only the state may revoke a license... and they can choose not to....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. allan5oh

allan5oh Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Winnipeg, mb
    Not according to FMCSA. Rating means satisfactory, unsatisfactory or conditional. It is an overall rating. A ranking is part of the rating. Again you're just trying to muddy it up with these ridiculous arguments. You simply cannot admit you're wrong.

The "Rating" is called a Safety Fitness Determination and is currently determined via on site inspections which are triggered by rankings and scores in the CSA program. That's what the article is talking about when CSA does not "rate" drivers.

It is not a ranking.

It is not a score.

4. allan5oh

Jan 6, 2010
    Winnipeg, mb
    It doesn't need to be a standalone program.

They aren't allowed to rate them, but they do rank and score them.

edit: This may or may not be entirely true, they have already propsed driver safety fitness determinations. Whether or not this requires congress to act remains to be seen.

Double edit:

Whenever the federal register mentions SMS that includes both DSMS and CSMS.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  5. allan5oh

Jan 6, 2010
    Winnipeg, mb
    http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/section/385.11

[h=3]§ 385.11: Notification of safety fitness determination.[/h] (a) The FMCSA will provide a motor carrier written notice of any safety rating resulting from a compliance review as soon as practicable, but not later than 30 days after the review. The notice will take the form of a letter issued from the FMCSA's headquarters office and will include a list of FMCSR and HMR compliance deficiencies which the motor carrier must correct.
    (b) If the safety rating is “satisfactory” or improves a previous “unsatisfactory” safety rating, it is final and becomes effective on the date of the notice.
    (c) In all other cases, a notice of a proposed safety rating will be issued. It becomes the final safety rating after the following time periods:
    (1) For motor carriers transporting hazardous materials in quantities requiring placarding or transporting passengers by CMV—45 days after the date of the notice.
    (2) For all other motor carriers operating CMVs—60 days after the date of the notice.
    (d) A proposed safety rating of “unsatisfactory” is a notice to the motor carrier that the FMCSA has made a preliminary determination that the motor carrier is “unfit” to continue operating in interstate commerce, and that the prohibitions in § 385.13 will be imposed after 45 or 60 days if necessary safety improvements are not made.
    (e) A motor carrier may request the FMCSA to perform an administrative review of a proposed or final safety rating. The process and the time limits are described in § 385.15.
    (f) A motor carrier may request a change to a proposed or final safety rating based upon its corrective actions. The process and the time limits are described in § 385.17.

THAT is the "rating"

6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    when i woke up this morning. i checked my bank account. and this is what it said.

my methodology has a grade of F-. becuase i racked up 150 points on my credit card. to be used as my csa score.

last week, i also has an F- becuase i racked up 300 points on my credit card.

300 + 150 = 450 points. which is what my points balance shows. it doesn't show 450 divided by 2 = 225.

it does, however, say that becuase of my higher then normal accumulation of points which is above the national driver average. will result in termination of my driving privileges of i don't send in a letter of action.

TLeaHeart Thanks this.
  7. TLeaHeart

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    you get so hung up on words, and synonyms that mean the same exact thing... it is fun to push your buttons..

and yes there is a driver point system that is USED in evaluating a carriers score....

as I have posted many times,

the FMSCA does not have the authority to rank, or rate individual drivers, or to take their CDL away.

8. TLeaHeart

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    yes the whole system was proposed in 2005... and has been overturned changed, overturned, changed, and sent back to congress by the courts...

here we are in 2014, and the very first part of the system is still not implemented, the automatic rating of carriers, which was to be finished by 2009....

9. TLeaHeart

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    cliff note version,

drivers: anything written on a inspection report will be held against the driver for 3 years... after 3 years, the information will no longer be used. A crash report the time is 5 years. There are NO points assigned to the driver report, by the FMCSA.

carriers: anything written on an inspection report will be assigned a point value, and multiplied by a time factor to arrive at a point total for each violation, driver and carrier. each violation is assigned to a category, and points are totaled within the individual categories.
    That point total is divided by total number of inspections. so clean inspections do lower a carriers point total.

Now if this was about safety, there would be a determination that any carrier above a certain point total would be out of compliance, and subject to intervention, fines, and possible closure.... and FMCSA could work themselves out of a job.

But that is not what the FMCSA did...

instead they created sub groups based upon number of trucks, then take that point total, and create a list from 0 to the highest score within each sub group, and category... then they said, the top 20% in two categories, and the top 35% in the other 3 categories, of each list are out of compliance, and subject to intervention and fines....

See with this method, the FMSCA will always have a job, and they will always have a revenue stream.

PS you are welcome to substitute the word score, for points.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    Condense it down further, The top tier company jobs will never look :biggrin_2559:

11. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    You're all gonna get a violation with a 7 severity, being current you get a factor of 3 and I'm considering putting you OOS. Take your 23 points (score,value,ranking tool) and shut the F up.

TLeaHeart, Shaggy and Sublime Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.