Warranty Answers

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Belials, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Thed302

Thed302 Light Load Member

Oct 30, 2014
    USA
    I haven't seen it yet either... But what do I know, I'm just a tech. Warranty is up to my Service Writer.

IH Truck Guy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. peteno2

peteno2 Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Belials, I am new here but not to trucking, i have never had a warranty and just now replacing an older model pete with a newer one. The truck I'm looking at is a 2013 pete 388 Vin#DD189456, Is it worth the cost of a third party warrant and if so , what is the best one out there? The truck is at a dealership but not a pete dealer, He does not offer warranties but says it does meet the criteria What to do

4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    A 3rd party warranty isn't worth much....Your biggest problem will be the emissions system.

Is it a mx or isx ?

5. peteno2

peteno2 Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Isx 485 with 270k, i have previous owners maint records and there well documented but nothing with drivetrain issues

6. larry2903

larry2903 Heavy Load Member

Oct 18, 2009
    On the trails
    I would suggest contacting Cummins to see if an extended warranty is still available.

Myself, I would not go anywhere near a third party warranty.

7. Belials

Belials Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Hi,

I took a look at your VIN. Your truck is at 43 months in service so unfortunately you are not eligible for any OEM extended warranty. You're only able to purchase warranty on the engine up to 18 months. If you have less than 100,000 miles on the engine you are still within your emissions warranty, though. Your emissions warranty covers all of the emissions components, and quite a bit, of the engine, for 5 years and 100,000 miles. Nothing on the chassis is covered.

Regarding 3rd party warranty, the only one I know of is Premium 2000. We personally don't sell them but a couple of the dealerships in our group do. When people call me looking to buy them I direct them to our other dealerships. Whether or not they're any good, I can't attest to that and don't want to steer you in the wrong direction. My best advice there would be to either call a dealership and see if they give you an honest opinion or look around online and see what the reviews are.

8. peteno2

peteno2 Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Thanks for the reply, It sounds like I should just keep my maint acct growing if something does arise i can just take care of it myself, the truck in question has 271000 on it. Not used to the vehicles with all the emissions, Just sold my last truck which had a series 60 and 1.9 million miles on it ,But living in ca, hard to get around a newer one. From what I've read online the third party warranty isn't worth the paper its written on in most cases

9. Belials

Belials Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2014
    I've seen them pay, I've seen them not pay. We don't see them too often though so they're just like any third party insurance / warranty company. They're going to pay what they have to but there are probably plenty of valid claims they find a way to not pay due to sneaky loopholes in the contract. If you don't follow their maintenance requirements or not exactly, they have a way to refuse payment.

If you can afford to pay any possible repairs out of pocket, that may be the best route.

10. Garyk

Garyk Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Belials i hope you are still around on this forum. Your insight helps alot. I am going through an electrical issue that as of now has cost me nearly 5000$ to find and replace a component in the dash. I have an extended warranty on my 2015 579. I am currently waiting for a part to be flown in and installed tomorrow. It seems ludicrous to me to have a 5-6 thousand dollar repair on a truck that isnt even 2 years old. Is there any way to get some relief from paccar or peterbilt? Thanks

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.