Was thinking of Stevens but......

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by walstib, Sep 29, 2010.

1. walstib

walstib Darkstar

After reading thru these threads, and of course not believing everything I read, the overwhelming majority of views is negative...I think I'll have to scratch them off my list...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Your choice.
    I can say they've been very good to me. Have lived up to everything they promised.
    IMO, their training and safety is second to none.

4. TLeaHeart

TLeaHeart Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    Human nature to spend energy bad mouthing a former employer, to complain, but not give complements.

Your choice to go else where, but if you are basing it off of the negative comments here, that tells me you do not understand human nature. businesses always receive 10 times the number of complaints as they do positive compliments. There are positive things about Stevens, read the positive threads and discussions about Stevens.

They enforce safety, and if dispatcher ever trys and push a driver, a call to safety is all it takes to get it straightened out to the safety of the driver and load. training is long and good.

bonbonsron Thanks this.
  5. walstib

walstib Darkstar

This company seems to have ten times the amount of complaints and I'm totally intune with the fact happy people tell almost nobody, unhappy ones tell everyone they meet...

I actually posted an update in another of their threads to the fact I spoke to the recruiter about some of the negative things I read here and they were very nice and addressed all my concerns so they're back on the list!...I'm not crazy about the amount of time away from home but will do what I have to with a smile on my face...I just sent them all my paperwork also...I should have updated this thread as well...My bad...

6. Gears

Gears Trucker Forum STAFF - Gone, But Not Forgotten.

Aug 20, 2009
    Yeah, I've been banging the table trying to help newbies when they read all the threads and all the negativity. This quote from above makes the most sense:
    "This company seems to have ten times the amount of complaints and I'm totally intune with the fact happy people tell almost nobody, unhappy ones tell everyone they meet..."
    Just do your research. PM guys that are with the company you're considering that aren't posting all the negative stuff. You'll get more unbiased answers and opinions. When I started driving, Stevens was on my short list....of course that doesn't mean much:biggrin_2559:

7. peto

peto Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2010
    denver,co
    Hi I'm a former driver and trainer from stevens transport who was also one of the top drivers drivers in there leasing program . My name is peto and I drove for them for 3 and a half years and I can give an interesting perspective about the company .the training program is without a doubt second to none of that there is no doubt , but your experience after that will be based on what your current financial and family situation is . In other wordswords , a single person who is relativly debt free with no attacthments would have a more favorable exp. Than say a married person with kids at home or one who is in serious financial trouble . That is not to say that one could not make it work if they have a family but finding the balance between home time and making a descent living can be the biggest challange at any company but ecspecially at stevens . Your first inclination after training willbbe to sign up for the highly advertised lease program which unless again you are financially prepared to commit to and have your familiies full support could wind up disasterous . My suggestion would be to get your training in at stevens , be patient and prepared not to make any real money until you fully understand how to become opportunistic about getting miles , keep your driving record as clean as possible , and once your year is up with them shop around again for work . You will find that with the schooling and a year of exp. Behind you , you will be able to attain a job that will pay you a fair wage and get you home more often . That's the honest truth , stevens worked for me and my family and when it was no longer a good fit , I left and found something that paid more and got me home a lot more . Good luck to you and be safe my friend .

RealityCheck and uglydave Thank this.
  8. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2010
    You are correct about Stevens, Walstib. They are a bottom feeder company.

There are so many choices available for the new driver. Do not get caught up in being processed with a mill type school. Try to avoid any contracts including a lease/purchase.

Many of the posters on this thread sound like Stevens employees (recruiters, safety, dispatch...) I can almost here their phones ringing, just by reading their glorifying post.

Have you checked with a college program? They are not as biased as a trucking company driver training school.
    Plus, they would help you with finding a job, that suits you and your family's needs.

You can always retract your application to Stevens and give yourself a bit more time. They will push you to get started now.
    Trucking companies make big bucks for CDL training and then get incentives from the Govt for hiring the new inexperienced driver. With the condition of the economy, this, training business, is their bread and butter. Their main concern is to make a profit, not to produce good drivers that have a solid career

9. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I love these morons that decide anyone that is happy at Stevens must be a recruiter, safety, dispatch, etc. Standard fall back for a detractor that can't fit their likes and dislikes into the reality.
    Hard to believe that ANY driver could be happy, eh?
    Well, I'm happy. I'm a driver, never been a dispatcher, recruiter or anything else at Stevens. Don't care to be.
    Different strokes for different folks.

frankreno Thanks this.
  10. SVTStingRay

SVTStingRay Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    another mostly-happy stevens driver here. you just dont hear about the drivers doing good. maybe they (im one of them) dont want to jinx it by talking bout it. lol

11. TLeaHeart

TLeaHeart Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    Another happy Lease driver here. Stevens has lived up to their part of the contract, and so have I.

I went to a school of my own choice in my home town. I would suggest anyone thinking of being a truck driver, do the same, that way you are not indentured to a company for your training. If you do not like the company, then you have the option of moving on.

The guys who can not believe someone is happy at stevens, think everyone should be just like them. I am not a recruiter, don't even get referral bonuses :biggrin_25523:, will never be a dispatcher locked in a cubical looking at a computer screen.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.