Waste Management

Discussion in 'Waste Removal and Garbage Truck Driver Forum' started by Bigarmin88, Dec 9, 2011.

1. hellomcflywakeup

hellomcflywakeup Light Load Member

Oct 5, 2011
    fla,opps fl
    that was your stop,that does'nt count for how many stops there was b4 u.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bigarmin88

Bigarmin88 Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Tampa Bay Fl
    Who knows what time he started,all I hated was being waking up at 5 am on a Saturday morning!

4. RedDirtDriver

RedDirtDriver Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I actually applied for a job as an non-driver Account Representative for Waste Management a couple of years ago. Never even got a call or a letter and I thought I was decently qualified.

5. starmelt

starmelt Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Neither here not there
    I periodically check the WM website for driver openings in my town, and they're ALWAYS hiring for the same position. There are similar positions in other towns that are posted, but are eventually taken down when the job is filled. The residential driver position in my town is constantly in either "check back" or "now hiring" status. It makes me wonder why they're constantly advertising for the same position. I assume that it's because there is a high turnover rate at this particular location. Has anyone encountered anything similar?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  6. Trashtrucker1265

Trashtrucker1265 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Inverness, Fl
    Washington, PA is constantly hiring residential drivers. I think it's the nature of the job, very cold up here and densely populated are probably 2 reasons why there are always openings.

7. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I worked for WM for 11 years here in north Louisiana. The deal in a nutshell is this. GREAT pay! Great benefits! But they have rules that cover rules & rules to cover those rules. You can not do your job for breaking rules. If something goes wrong, they make a rule which conflicts with 3 other rules. Eventually rules get slack in order to get work completed. Then something happens & they make a new rule which again conflicts the last rule they made . In a couple of weeks they see they cant get work done because the rule prevents work from getting done. They dont take the rule out, they just ignore it. Then when something happens, its you who gets the blame & gets disciplined or terminated.
    While WM, on the face is a good company, its very, very hard to work for them. Thats why you see the same job posted all the time. There is a LOT of turnover in residential. A LOT!
    Here, front load started at 2:30 am. Residential starts anywhere from 3 - 5 depending on where their route is &/or starts that day. Roll-off starts at 5 am. A typical work day is 10 - 14 hours per day generally 6 days per week. It depends on contracts. One city may require saturday pickup for residential, some may not. Most front load is 6 days & they have the longest days. Roll off is 6 days & some work 7 days because, here we have a paper mill so someone has to work sundays as well, which is usually rotated with the drivers.

While sometimes I would bring home $1000 - 1100 per week in roll-off, I enjoyed the job but hated the system. I was so glad when I left WM & felt like such a load was lifted off of me, & tho now I bring home only $825 every two weeks, I would never, ever go back to WM.

The worst thing about the "job" is the landfill. If they don't keep it up when it rains, it backs up with truck after truck stuck & having to be pulled out. A LOT of wait time & wasted time. In front load & residential, no matter how long you wait, you can not go home until your route is finished. If you're on a 10 hr day & it takes 16 or 18 hrs to finish your route... you stay till your done & you will be back on time for tomorrows route. Its all about contracts with the garbage industry & especially WM.

Hope this helps :)

VaGump and BigJon310 Thank this.
  8. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    WM has a job listed on Career Builder today in Monroe, La for a residential driver.. $12 per hr.

9. starmelt

starmelt Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Neither here not there
    I'd heard that the starting pay for experienced drivers was around $17 per hour. Does pay vary from one area to another? Oh, and I went on the WM site today and they changed the status from 'check back' to 'now hiring' overnight :biggrin_2559:

10. Trashtrucker1265

Trashtrucker1265 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Inverness, Fl
    They pay differently at each location from what I can gather. At this location near me in PA, it's a daily pay plus some sort of incentive program. The ad says 44,000 yearly.

11. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    WM started getting into moving Mud and cuttings around here from gas wells in closed top roll off boxes, I was called around july and offered a job doing roll off for WM in homer city pa and the starting rate was 15.50/hr, I turned it down because at the time I was doing roll off hauling scrap and flatbed and on the side running water truck on the weekends.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.