Wastegate

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by lwlevens, Jun 21, 2018.

1. lwlevens

lwlevens Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2018
    Bought this triaxle dump in March 1999 Detroit 60 12.7 waste gate is plugged off who knows how long its been like that and don't know why it is plugged off.Will this hurt the performance of the engine (probably). Was going to heat it with my torches to try to free it up and get a new actuator,or a new turbo with actuator.But don't know much on this. Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    Guys plug them all the time and even on cat engines. You get a little more boost and possibly quicker boost. Leave it alone and no it’s not hurting anything. The actuator dumps boost for whatever it is set at. My actuator was factory at 23 pounds. I’m not pushing over 30. If you buy a new turbo down the road with more boost, it won’t even have a wastegate at all

4. lwlevens

Feb 9, 2018
    Don't know how much HP this 12.7 is pushing but it's not the quickest thing. Thought it might have to do with the wastegate not being hooked

5. Cam Roberts

May 13, 2018
    Somebody else thought the same thing and that’s why they unhooked it. Your truck should have some good power. Do you have a boost gauge in there? Maybe you have a boost leak somewhere. I would undo the exhaust pipe off the turbo wastegate and make sure that the wastegate is indeed closed all the way. If it’s not then obviously your boost is getting dumped and you have no power

6. lwlevens

Feb 9, 2018
    No gauge. But I will check it out. Wastegate should be open right.

7. Cam Roberts

May 13, 2018
    Waste hate flapper should be in fully closed position so it does not allow boost to be dumped off into exhaust. If it is open, get it shut and then zip tie it closed.
    If you do this, plug that air hose going to actuator

8. lwlevens

Feb 9, 2018
    Thanks brother I think the vacuum line or air line is already plugged off. So if it was open this whole time and I close it I should have more HP right.

Cam Roberts Thanks this.
  9. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Unless you make too much boost and the airhoses leak or go boom.

10. Cam Roberts

May 13, 2018
    I don’t know much about Detroit turbos, but if it’s stock I don’t see it posssible to make too much boost

stillwurkin Thanks this.
  11. Cam Roberts

May 13, 2018
    My truck had a boost leak like that. Was only making 15 pounds of boost. Once I closed off wastegate and plugged the line, I get 28psi. Boost builds really quick. Truck wouldn’t get out of its own way. That’s what had me digging around the wastegate

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.