Watkins Shepard, Here I Come

Discussion in 'Watkins & Shepard' started by Trilleth, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Java Joe

Java Joe Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    She did an amazing job and allowed me to sleep through it all :)

Sent from my TBolt using Tapatalk.
    Running Das Bamf 2.0 (aka Death Rom)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. thePUNISHER

thePUNISHER Medium Load Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Merced, CA
    Good job Trill! Keep it up. I'm sure the more you do it the easier it gets.

4. Trilleth

Trilleth Medium Load Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Southern California
    We're back on the road after hometime; our hometime works weird 'cause we have kids in different places, so we do a couple days at his, get a load, and do a couple of days at mine. We're very grateful W/S works with us to do this, too, because we'd worried we would have to do rotating hometimes. We do try to make it up by staying out longer; we were out 6 weeks straight the last time.

We got an overnight run up to Washington (we did 22 hours of driving in 25 hours with two fuel stops; that probably sounds like nothing to some of you, but that was a lot for us!). Now we're doing an easier run out to Kansas for the long weekend; Chris worked his backside off to get us a longer load so we wouldn't be sitting most of the weekend.

My probation should end this week; I'm excited, to say the least. Should be a nice raise, I'll have benefits, and I haven't done anything to mess up the safety review whenever that comes around. I still have to really work at backing, but I can drive forward through almost anything (even sometimes when Joe says I can't do it) and I have edged only four curbs since I first set foot in a truck (never a lot; just the ones that had really, really tight turns). I've learned how to strap and chain by myself and can unload even a tarped load alone (man, those suckers are heavy!). Only thing I haven't done is tarp alone.

Can't believe five months ago I was ready to quit. I'm glad I didn't... thanks again to everyone who cheered me on to get me here.

AXE, thePUNISHER, wulfman75 and 2 others Thank this.
  5. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    When are you guys gonna come find me????? I wanna see what this FB thing is all about before I decide to switch.....:biggrin_25519:

American Trucker

6. Trilleth

Jan 17, 2011
    Southern California
    LOL... I keep track of where everyone on here is at and we never seem to be near most people. Of course, we don't get out east very often, so that might have something to do with it.

Unless we were under a tight deadline, we'd totally stop to visit with anyone on here... even if you just wanted to pick our brains on FB'ing. :biggrin_25522:

American-Trucker Thanks this.
  7. Trilleth

Jan 17, 2011
    Southern California
    Guess it's time for another good update.

I spent four full weeks sitting on my backside while Joe ran solo due to a personal obligation in SFS. Ugh. Finally took a bus to get back to him and am happy to be working again.

Made it up to Missoula on Thursday night. Chris had us on a load to Minnesota (with Diane as our backup) and we got to look at the Kenworths. After much deliberation and driving every one of the trucks (except for the one that a 25 year guy got first dibs on), we decided to go with it. It's tight in here, that's for sure, but it's a really nice truck and we decided it's worth it. Had to get rid of our nearly-new fridge (sold it to an incoming student) and using the microwave will be funfun... it doesn't fit yet either. But Joe is working on a built-in shelf that will not damage any of the cabinetry (can't make modifications) to hold our fridge and microwave and maybe one of those Keurig coffeemakers for Joe. :biggrin_2559:

I really liked meeting Diane and her husband Tim. They're owner ops... he drives van and she is the only other female flatbedder (and the ONLY solo female flatbedder). Talk about a role model. Not only is she very capable, but she's also really helpful and talked to us a lot about becoming owner ops down the road. Goals and planning... just gotta work on the goals and planning.

Apparently we have an oversized preload when we get this load to the receiver. We're gonna run hard now, 'cause we have to make up for putzing around on the weekend.

I'll try to update here a little more often. So many stories I haven't documented that I wish I had.

BTW, if I met you and forgot to list you, please tell me? I'm really bad about remembering screen names, but I know I met more of you. Thanks!!

8. AXE

AXE Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    Well I know you met RonPaul2012!

Trilleth Thanks this.
  9. Trilleth

Jan 17, 2011
    Southern California
    Thank you!

10. Trilleth

Jan 17, 2011
    Southern California
    Well, we only got to run Monday through Friday this week, but we managed 3000 miles. Not great, but it'll have to do. Chris tried his best to get us something Friday.

We shoulda checked on pet restrictions in the new Kenworths, 'cause we found ourselves a sweet border collie today. She's unnamed yet; Joe can't name her anything to do with Georgia. :p Not sure where we're gonna fit things, but we'll make it work. She was practically waiting on us.

Okay, Joe just threw out Belle and I like it. Ha! Maybe she'll get a sorta-Georgia name after all...

11. misc

misc Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2010
    It's just another company truck, so hopefully not a problem.

BTW I'm the fellow flatbedder with the dog Buster you met while you were stuck in SFS.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.