Watkins shepard

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by sal, Aug 31, 2007.

1. techiekate29

techiekate29 Light Load Member

May 27, 2009
    Michigan City, IN
    Hey everyone. I was wondering if W/S is doing more hiring now then they were earlier in the year. I'm about three hours away (by car) from both Indianapolis, IN and Taylor, MI. I'm seriously thinking about getting into trucking and W/S seems like the best place for me to start.

Any information would be very helpful.

Thanks! :biggrin_25526:

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. frmerdrslmer

frmerdrslmer Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Missoula,MT
    Geez nawlins, you got it ALL figured out.

frmerdrslmer = former door slammer, thought it was funny because an arrogant flatbedder was shooting off his mouth while Soon2be and I were at the terminal, I was waiting on flat bed class.

As for LTL and miles, it apples to oranges, if you were running those runs it was paid by the day and not the miles

2nd, I dont just drop and run, 3 out of 5 of my loads are LTL, In fact im on one now.
    Difference is my loads run 2-3 thousand miles before I start making stops.

3rd, I used to run vans, Ive run my share of LTL out of Jersey and Austintown.
    I dont need an atlas I know those areas.
    Your not the only driver running them.

4th Im assuming, as you assume onto me, that you have 0 flat bed experience.
    I judged your book because i have read it, you simply judged mine by the cover.

5th, I wait for it, STILL PULL VANS from time to time.
    If they need a guy I handle it.

6th, If your sitting for 5 days It is YOUR fault.
    Obviously your not a priority on the list in dispatch.
    7th out of the 700 plus drivers the reason you dont see a bunch of us on here complianing or putting down the company is because we arent afraid of work, We know what the job entails.
    If you think I just throw straps and go, your seriously mistaken.

Try having a dozen stops that need to be delivered that day because your pre planeed 2 loads out, you have to tarp to start, then untarp/retarp every stop, unstrap/restrap every stop because each stop is on top of the next stop, all while the wind is blowing 40+ mph and its raining/sleeting and or snowing.
    Show up to the next stop and your refused because what your hauling is sensitive product going to airplane companies or military providers and you let a few drops of water on it.

As for the miles, its envolopes turned in. Im guessing im driving an actual 14-16 thousand a month.
    Mean while between the driving, im getting soaked in sweat, ruining clothes and shoes and LOVING every minute of it.

I love working for W/S and I know there is bad, but the good out wieghs it.
    Plain and simple.

Like I said QUIT and let some one who wants to do it have a swing.

PS the logs are 100% legit, I havent learnet to lie good yet.

4. frmerdrslmer

frmerdrslmer Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Missoula,MT
    techiekate29
    They have a room full of newbs every time I pass thru Missoula.

Pretty sure we are still hiring.

Dont see a lot of 30 dayers because they like to have 6 per class and many people dont have the cash for school or the credit.

techiekate29 Thanks this.
  5. mopar408

mopar408 Bobtail Member

May 18, 2008
    Ca
    yea i see newbs too in missoula, they must still be hiring. BUT......

I have a new issue with W/S! The #### "so called mechanics"!

I have learned over the last 6 months that for minor issues that only require a basic tool set (that you have space for ) you are way better off fixing your truck yourself!

Take for instance my blackrock APU that was constantly overheating in weather over 80 degrees, like when in california or arizona 2 months ago but in helena it was only 50 degrees. Well the head mechanic in helena told me he couldnt find anything wrong with my apu....

Well I jumped up on the #### catwalk and took the cap off the #### lil radiator and showed him that the rubber on the base was cracked and the rubber on the end of the spring, that controls the release pressure was not there anymore and he said ########, a cap can not make a apu overheat and i told him, your full of it cause that was like the first thing i learned in auto shop in high school 25 years ago!

well that was 2 months ago and after adding coolant to an overheating apu for the last 2 months i finally replaced the cap on my own 2 weeks ago, i have not had to add coolant since!

Today i was in helena, and i asked for a fuel filter for my apu.
    Well I dont get one, I have to let them put it in and wait all day 14 hours to replace a filter that takes 5 minutes, LOL.

I had this truck in this shop 3 months ago for a oil change and they also changed the fuel filter ( the one that looks like a oil filter on the drivers side of the engine on a cummins) well I got about 130 miles and I smelled raw diesel fuel and I pulled over and found the filter was not even hand tight!

Wow , good thing were not flying airplanes, that mechanic could have been sued for his whole life earnings for that mistake!

As u may be able to tell I use to be a mechanic and went to school for avionics and this is unacceptable to me, but they just think we are all dumb ### truck drivers so we dont care if some 17 year old that doesnt know crap is replacing our brakes?
    I saw macon actually put a burned up truck in his lil email report with the drivers name and his truck number!, this is BS, this had nothing to do with the driver!
    what do you all think about this???
    Oh, I was driving along and the fuel filter that was just replaced by 17 year old jimbob that is barely out of highschool , born and raised in helena mt that never even drove a a diesel pickup, let alone a 80,000 lbs tractor, but was hired to fix trucks that have to pass stringent checks but he doesnt know #### cause he is only 18!Wake UP W/S

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  6. soon2betrucking

soon2betrucking Road Train Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Philadelphia, Pa
    :happy1: this is getting good....

:Bike:<~~ the 17year olds ride to work...

7. mopar408

mopar408 Bobtail Member

May 18, 2008
    Ca
    the reality is we work for some cheap people!

8. mopar408

mopar408 Bobtail Member

May 18, 2008
    Ca
    hiring 17 year olds not even out of high school is really cheap! No wonder we are are getting out of service at the scales, my truck I brought in for an air leak 1 month ago , they said it was fixed, Not....

9. mopar408

mopar408 Bobtail Member

May 18, 2008
    Ca
    i worked for some cheap SOB'S but i really dont want to identify myself so i wil leave it at that i wasnt subject to DOT crap.

10. soon2betrucking

soon2betrucking Road Train Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Philadelphia, Pa
    yeah, you are right, i have noticed that it is taking way longer to even have them do anything to the truck, then, the shop boss man dont wanna pay the break down pay ne more, like its coming from his sons piggy bank,
    im not sure what going on,
    but as far as disp goes i get treated pretty good by them, simply by doing just about everything they ask,
    as for the shop, i just go in all the time and bother and annoy them till they get my truck in the shop. it pays off.....some times haha

11. techiekate29

techiekate29 Light Load Member

May 27, 2009
    Michigan City, IN
    WooHoo! I just submitted my online application. Thanks to everyone for their input and information regarding W/S. Maybe I'll see y'all on the road sometime :biggrin_25525:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.