Watkins shepard

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by sal, Aug 31, 2007.

1. soon2betrucking

soon2betrucking Road Train Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Philadelphia, Pa
    yeah, as soon as im mt im going to hit a scare with full and mt tanks and a mt trl as well,
    thansk for nothing minus. :biggrin_25520:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Naw'lins Born

Naw'lins Born Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2008
    elizabeth, nj
    s2b I think minus was trying to help. But with a ? like that I understand your response. Hey danc have u heard anything about central transport good or bad preciate it.

4. Graymist

Graymist Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2007
    On a slightly different tack, I'd like to know how often you guys have to hand-unload. When you do so, do you simply use a powerjack to move the pallets to the back of the truck ? What type of freight usually requires a hand-unload, and how much are you paid to do it ? Thanks.

5. Naw'lins Born

Feb 17, 2008
    elizabeth, nj
    s2b I think minus was trying to help. But with a ? like that I understand your response. Hey danc have u heard anything about central transport good or bad preciate it.

6. Minus...

Minus... Light Load Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Philly, PA...
    That's true S2B...well a gallon of fuel is like 7 pounds...so when ya empty...just hit a scale and read ya fuel gauge...if it's half way full then do 7 X 125 + (weight of tractor and trailer) =....then do 80,000 - ya answer to the first math problem...and that's ya answer...i'm soooooooooooooo smarrrrrrrrrrrrt...:biggrin_25525:

7. Minus...

Jul 18, 2008
    Philly, PA...

We only hand unload furniture...and that's normally furniture that's in boxes...and normally people help ya because when they load the trailer...it's 2 to 5 people loading it...so I don't know why they think 1 person can just take all the stuff down...so normally a cosignee helps you or they already have store workers that load and unload stuff around the store unload the trailer...

Also alot of places get 1 box here...3 boxes...so it's normally harder trying to park then then to throw ya 4 ways on...jump in the back and pull everything out...sign paper and leave...

8. Graymist

Graymist Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2007
    Thanks for the prompt response. A few more queries, if I may....

What kind of hometime can one expect, especially out of the Youngstown, OH terminal ? Does this terminal have good freight lanes ? What kind of products usually pass through this terminal ? Thanks once again.

9. Minus...

Jul 18, 2008
    Philly, PA...
    All our terminals have furniture...so loads going to the terminal and from the terminal is furniture unless you have a load that's being repowered and your just pickin a loaded trailer up from the term and going to deliver it because the driver ran out of hours or something or that nature...but every week you out you get a day off...but if you on the road for like 8 weeks which I normally stay out...and I say i'm takin 10 days off...they won't say nothing...but if i'm out for 3 weeks and say I want 5 days off then i'm sure they might say something...

10. Naw'lins Born

Feb 17, 2008
    elizabeth, nj
    gray mist we run mostly no touch frieght for otr drivers; we usually pay lumpers for that. As for running out of your home terminal that won't happen very often santa fe springs yes but not youngstown.
    hometime is 1 day for every 6 days out not weeks, if you want 2 extra days out let fridday be your last day out we do not dispatch on the eastcoast during the weekend.

11. msmspilot

msmspilot Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2008
    North Mississippi
    Weighing your truck with an empty trailer is probably a great academic exercise, but remember that different brands of trailers weigh different amounts. The Hyundai's are roughly 1000lbs heavier than most of the others (or so I've been told).

As far as going to Florida, we got to Jacksonville, and I know people who have gotten farther south into Florida than that.

Hand unloading, depends on the route you end up on. I've had weeks where I did a pretty good bit and weeks where I don't do any. Pay varies based on what it is and who you're delivering to.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.