Watkins shepard

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by sal, Aug 31, 2007.

1. soon2betrucking

soon2betrucking Road Train Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Philadelphia, Pa
    very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very veryvery very very very very very very very very very very veryvery very very very very very very very very very very veryvery very very very very very very very very very very veryvery very very very very very very very very very very veryvery very very very very very very very very very very veryvery very very very very very very very very very very veryvery very very very very very very very very very very veryvery very very very very very very very very very very veryvery very very very very very very very very very very veryvery very very very very very very very very very very veryvery very very very very very very very very very very veryvery very very very very very very very very very very veryvery very very very very very very very very very very veryvery very very very very very very very very very very veryvery very very very very very very very very very very veryvery very very very very very very very very very very veryvery very very very very very very very very very very veryvery very very very very very very very very very very veryvery very very very very very very very very very very very

much sooooooo :biggrin_2553::biggrin_2553::biggrin_2553::biggrin_2553::biggrin_2553::biggrin_2553:

if u see her, tell her that her boy from philly is extreamly upset :biggrin_2553:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Warpdrvr

Warpdrvr Heavy Load Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Corona, CA
    Is she one of the recruiters? I think Roxy told me that's who could assist me while shes out.....

4. noodler

noodler Bobtail Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Raleigh,NC
    nah, I think thats Krissy in dispatch, Warpdrvr, there's a recruiter filling for Roxy name Christy...... I've been dealing with her. Just as nice as the rest of the ladies..

5. noodler

noodler Bobtail Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Raleigh,NC
    Why don't you guys like to run on the east coast? I start school the 25th with W/S 10 day and I've lived out east my whole life and I don't have any trouble. I guess I'm not driving a truck either though. I can't wait to get out there and get some miles under belt. How many miles are you guys averaging a week? Do you guys from out west come to the terminals out east much? [​IMG]

6. soon2betrucking

Sep 28, 2007
    Philadelphia, Pa
    noodler, where are u doing ur 10day? conover i assume?
    ill tell you exactly why most driver, industry wide, dont like the east coast.
    i happen to enjoy it myself.
    most dont like it over here, more the north east then the south east cause the raods are a LOT smaller, when you start getting into the New England States, Mass, Ri, Ct, Nh, Vt, Ma, Ny,nj and even Pa, its hard, low bridges EVERYWHERE!!, tolls, EVERYWHERE!! traffic EVERYWHERE, tight right turns EVERYWHERE, you cant make a left hand turn in Nj on most highways, you have to take whats called a Jug handle-very easy to miss.
    watkins does not give EZ-Pass ( electronic toll pass ) to every truck, ez pass has a monthly fee, and they say that u have to spend over 300 a month on tolls, regularly, in order to get a an ez-pass, there is no telling how much money you will spend in tolls in any givin day, and sometimes youll come across 8 or 10 tolls in one day and those toll fees add up while some tolls are as much as $35 bucks and even more then that,..
    the people in the north east are rude, your dealing with people who have zero concept of a full size 18-wheeler, sleeper truck and and 53ft trl, we are 72feet long, give or take a foot. sometime the docking areas are only 70 feet long, even less. old areas such as boston is a great example, one u get off the main roads and u have to make a right turn, you need to prepare well in advance, ( r. turn signal on early, and start doing lane control, ( gotta swing WIDE ) ) if u miss that right turn, no telling how much further ull have to go to make another right turn...
    the stress level in the mid-west on a scale from 1-10 is about a 1, the stress level on the east coast, ( ne ) is about a 10-12 depending what area you in.

tho sayreville is my home terminal, i run out of the Dalton Ga. terminal regularly and i average between 2800 - 3200 monthly. the upside to running over here is that most drivers dont want to go anymore north then here or conover, rightfuly soo cause of the above, the downside, all loads have to leave anywhere between 11pm and 4am, so your mostly running late nights early morning, and usually pulling all nighters, its hard to get used to, but after a while its like a normal day, you just need to prepare yourself for all night driving and plan your sleep accordingly...
    thats for me anyway, as for the guys out west, i couldnt tell you what they average, but i do no that one driver, poster on here Rednek, bounces from coast to coast pretty regularly and gets killer miles.
    ill tell you how to get the good miles...
    never ever ever use the word NO to dispatch... that simple, as i have stated in many post before, I have never ever said the N word to them, ever, in 2 years, unless my truck was in the shop.
    i hope that i have answered your questions, plus some, about the company..
    if u are doing ur 10 day in conover, then i highly recomend getting with Tim, the trainer in conover, and talk to him about running the short line, multi stoppers out of conover, they pay by the mile, and $20 per stop. it adds up and it adds up to a lot if u hustle!! the more stops the more money in ur pay!!! they deliver as far south as Miami and as far north as Maine.

Jmurman and Irishtrucker Thank this.
  7. noodler

noodler Bobtail Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Raleigh,NC
    Soon2BeTrucking, you did a great job explaining that, i could see why those guys dont like the north east. Im originally from NY & travel the north east quite often here from NC. Brother in Boston, Cousins and other family in NY, Niece in NJ, Another brother in DC, but never driven in a rig so im sure its different. Do you have to pay those tolls outta your pocket, and then get reinbuirsed? Thats a headache if thats the method, having an e-z pass on my personal vehicle, this gonna be weird, im used to just zipping through.Yes I am doing my 10 day in Conover, and I believe I am being hired for the short line position, because its what the recruiter and I talked about mostly, but she also said a run to LA wasn't out the question, since we are a long haul company and i dont mind. Thanks for answering my Questions...

Jmurman Thanks this.
  8. Znine

Znine Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Spokane, wa
    I liked the upstate NY area. Never seen so much green in my life and loaded there once and talked to people that ate road kill deer and that is no lie. That was a culture shock to me!

Philly seemed to be the easiest town to get around and Pittsburgh the hardest in my experiance. On the west side Seattle is terrible as well and if you can drive that town then you can handle any big city.

9. Henley

Henley Light Load Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Rock Springs, WY
    Sounds like love, S2B.

I might be crazy, but I think the northeast is fun. Maybe it's the challenge, maybe it's the pace, maybe I've just been lucky so far. But I also like the LTL runs and slinging boxes off the trailer.

10. soon2betrucking

Sep 28, 2007
    Philadelphia, Pa
    yeah u pay out of ur pocket for the tolls then get paid back, that sucks because u could spend over 100$ in 1 day... thats a lot of money... but since ur doing the shortline you will have an ez-pass... did u deal with roxy or sandy?
    they are right, a load to La is def not out of the question. the pay is good, $20 per stop, it adds up, the last one i did was 30 stops... :)
    henley it is love!!! haha, she is....was...is...awesome at her job, the biggst area to cover yet still had everyone moving most of the time!! im just glad that robbie is not doing disp anymore!, that guy would put his srew ups on the drivers! i tried it with me but didnt get very far with it! nope!!
    i enjoy doing the ltl, its a great work out, noodler, if u doing the ltl prepare for some work, we do Tailgate Service, which means u take the freight to the doors of the trl, and often youll help them take it off the trl and in the store, youlll meet some really awesome people..

henley, how long have u been working here? another driver and i were talking and neither of us seem to know who you are... most know who i am :(
    ohhh yeah, if ur still in mudzulla go ask krissy about the 2 guys that met on matchmaker d ot co-m haha

11. WingRider

WingRider Medium Load Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Salem, OR
    Hey s2b, where ya at? Im at the Sayreville term for the rest of the day, del tomorrow at Macy's in Secaucus, just got my oil changed and getting a reset while I wait. Just chillin watchin the satellite tv.

sal Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.