Watkins shepard

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by sal, Aug 31, 2007.

1. soon2betrucking

soon2betrucking Road Train Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Philadelphia, Pa
    its is time to stay off the side walks, and play on the streets now....:biggrin_2559:

congrats steve!!!! you can post your truck number if you want... that way it will make it easier to stalk you.... :biggrin_25525:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lynchmob

Lynchmob Light Load Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm really going to miss him. It was an absolute pleasure working with him. :biggrin_25523:

Hope everyone's doing good. To all you guys that run the N/E :biggrin_25514:!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't have words that express my awe. I ran up there for a few days and NEVER want to go back. It was hell, and not even a good kind of hell. My hats off to you. And for those of you who "love the North east" ............... you're mad, you're bloody mad. I'll try to keep West and south of Maryland.

rednek Thanks this.
  4. soon2betrucking

soon2betrucking Road Train Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Philadelphia, Pa

Mr. McBride your a whimp!!!!!!:biggrin_2559:

but danm proude!!!:biggrin_25514:

5. rednek

rednek Light Load Member

Jun 14, 2009
    mesa az
    Hey lynch. I been there and agree I don't smoke and aftr jersey I wanted to smoke a pack lmao s2b dotn cry bout ur truck its ok baby lmao

6. Deserted1

Deserted1 Medium Load Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Riverside, ca
    Got a few questions for those driving for W&S. Figured I can see what you guys say and go from there.

1. How old is the average truck there, is it 18mo like im hearing or more?

2. Do they allow deadhead home from terminal? IE my local terminal is about 70 miles from me, and my house is a secure location would they allow me to run home or stay at terminal?

3. Do they still run semi regional? I heard they are all 48 only, but do they try to keep you near the west coast if your based out this way. I understand OTR, but just curious as to how they set you up.

4. Whats the average truck equipped with? Inverter? Do they allow idling if need be?

I know I should ask the recruiter alot of these but feel I would get honest answers out of you guys before them. Know what I mean.

I am leaving for Montana on the 17th for 10-day, I hear nothing but good about W/S but just still had some lingering questions.

Thanks guys,
    -Corey

7. Warpdrvr

Warpdrvr Heavy Load Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Corona, CA
    Brand new WS driver here, so I'll try to take a stab at your questions....

1. Probably a little older if I'd have to guess, but most in fairly good shape from what I saw in Missoula

2. NO on that..

3. I think you can stay mostly out west, but have to be available to take a load anywhere

4. Trucks are either Freightliners (Mostly Columbias with a few Centurys and they are now buying Cascadias) and Volvos. Most have 10 speeds, a few have automatics..I got crappy luck and got an auto. They will install inverters for you, but you have to buy them. I've heard 1500 max and 2500 max, YMMV. You can idle, but it affects your MPG bonus.

The recruiters are fairly honest with you I found out. I never and I mean NEVER had one tell me something that wasn't on track.

Just make sure you can drive when you get there. Double-clutching is mandatory there. They will take you on some tight city streets, so be able to turn them as well. There are 2 trucks that are available for students to use 24/7, so use them for shifting and backing practice. Oh, when you get there, tell Mark that warpdriver said hi....he'll know.

I see you are in Riverside, so we will be based out of the same terminal. When you get thru, look for me. I'm in truck 1832. Good luck out there and stay warm! Oh, for a good burger go to Fuddrucker's on Reserve!

JustSonny Thanks this.
  8. rockfish469

rockfish469 Light Load Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Philly Pa.
    Soon2betrucking ,Do you take your truck home during home time?I'm from Philly would i get good miles out of this area.what would home time in this area be like.looking for a company to start with when i finish allstate career in 3 weeks.I have 2 pre hires roehl and werner.Watkins may be a new place to try,Thanks

9. Deserted1

Deserted1 Medium Load Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Riverside, ca

Cool on the recruiter comment, makes me happy to know that I can ask them stuff. Ive been lied to a few times just talking to recruiters with some other companys so I was kinda weary on asking.

Hey also do ya need to bring a passport? I have mine but not sure if its needed. Do they go Canada?

The Driving school I went to taught us double clutching (im actually pretty good at it) I can turn also, tight corners suck but as long as I watch that trailer and I should be ok. I am looking forward to getting up there, I know there will be tons more that I will learn.

Yea I will look ya up from time to time and see where your at, maybe we can meet up and grab a bite somewhere along the way.

10. Irishtrucker

Irishtrucker Medium Load Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    Doing my test tomorrow so will be calling W/S this week to see if I am eligible and try for orientation in June after i finish my internship/ payback for the school. Will Hazmat be an advantage for me?

11. Warpdrvr

Warpdrvr Heavy Load Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Corona, CA
    If you have it, bring it. I don't know if they ever asked to see it though. They do run into Canada, but those runs usually go to the guys from Montana and Washington I believe. If you have any questions before you get there, just ask your recruiter. Mine was Roxy and she's awesome...they are located right on the same floor as you will be staying and have an open door policy. While I was there I just dropped in from time to time to hang out and laugh.

Although WS does not require the endorsement, hazmat is always an advantage in my humble opinion....at WS if you carry a placarded hazmat load, it's $.03/mile more. They dont carry a lot of it, but it does happen from time to time I was told...

Irishtrucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.