Watkins shepard

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by sal, Aug 31, 2007.

1. JustSonny

JustSonny Big Dummy

Oct 22, 2009
    Troutman NC
    You pricked my curiosity Warp! I hope someone answers you. I found some info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_particulate_filter but I'd like to hear it from someone who's been there too!

American-Trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. soon2betrucking

soon2betrucking Road Train Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Philadelphia, Pa

i started a tread under the trucks [ 18-wheelers ] about my problem..
    in short,
    the truck has an exhaust filtration system on it... when it gets full it should clean its self out as i go down the road... but, sometimes you have to pull over and do a parked regen, the rpms rev up to 1850 and run there for about 45 mins... really loude!!!
    i did that 4 times in the past 2 days, and they all haved lasted clost to 2 houes and the 4th time the shop said something is f-d up, that it may be more then just the regen giving me a problem.

4. Warpdrvr

Warpdrvr Heavy Load Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Corona, CA
    Ahh..well Oldnewbiegonnabe, there is our answer!

I have to get some work done as well on my beast. I was driving along today, wet roads from snow. Had the wipers on. Hit a bump and they quit. Stopped along the road where I could and checked the fuse and it had blown. The guy from the shop told me to put one in of something I wasn't using, the AC, and it worked fine until I started moving, then blew again. That tells me there is a short somewhere that only happens when something rubs against something else. I made it to a truck stop here in Odgen 2 miles from my delivery, so tomorrow after I deliver, I will call the shop and see what they want me to do about it. It needs it's oil changed as well, so I suppose I'll get that done at the same time....

Drove in the worst weather ever for me today thru WY...blowing snow, icy roads, the works. Did ok, just kept my speed down and paid mucho attention....

5. Deserted1

Deserted1 Medium Load Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Riverside, ca
    Im sitting near Lodi, Ca, I need to be in Pomona by 8AM, aint gonna happen. They scheduled me a pull from lakeview, wa to pomona, ca its 1k miles, which is cool but they wanted it done in 1 day time. I had finished a run, picked up my official truck finally and had already driven 250 miles that day, I dont have enough time to be there on time and will be up at 4am just to get a early start tommorow. which being atleast 7 hours out still im going to miss my appt time. Awesome. This has been a huge mess, jumping from one truck to another. This is #3 and hopefully the final one for now. ofcourse I go from a freightliner thats messed up to a nice volvo thats got all the bells and whistles to a volvo thats an automatic that has a roof leak, no habachi heater and no apu, and it smells like piss in here. Whoever had this before was a douche nugget, why must you piss in your own truck, find a rest stop dont piss and spill it all over the fawking place.

Its missing 1/2 the cabinets, there was dogfood growing into the front curtins and it appears the guy used the front curtains to clean up his piss spill because they smell of piss also. I am going to request new ones and if they say no i am going to make them smell the old ones. I took them off and strapped them to the catwalk for now, I will not keep those on this truck. The mattress also smells of urine. And of course being out in BFE I cant request my new mattress until I hit LA. course then im getting my list of crap looked into. (fuel gauge is borked, fuel filter needs changed, not sure on lube job as whoever had it removed that info for me, roof leak had water comming out of the top bunk light into my bed weeeee.)

Yea basically for teh past week I have been thrown to the wolves and left to fend for myself to get this figured out. The driving has been good, but the way things are going down sucked.

6. Deserted1

Mar 8, 2010
    Riverside, ca
    oh yea and I didnt request a empty and available yesterday after I picked up my truck because tehy sent all the routing for my past 2 loads + my current one into the new truck. Well I didnt know it but even if you get your trip info you must send it or teh fuel info will not be correct. Hmmm So i sent it this morning after talking to dispatch about this and getting an ear full. Next thing I knew fuel info came back and I missed a Fuel stop Ohhhh 400 miles ago. So i bit the bullet and put 60 gallons on in the wrong stop, there goes my fuel bonus and my qualcomm bonus, all in one day. Awesome. And to top it all off its raining here in norcal and im getting wet while typing all this stuff out.

Good news though, I am on my way home for my reset and maybe 1 extra day off :) I could use it.

7. Warpdrvr

Warpdrvr Heavy Load Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Corona, CA
    Sounds like you've had the last couple weeks from hell....as I keep telling myself "It will get better, it will get better". This truck has been a nightmare as well. APU don't work, bunk heater don't work, so I have to idle to keep warm. And, I've been going thru Nebraska and Wyoming, mid 20's at night....I feel your pain Deserted. As for the mattress and curtains, I requested new ones and got them, so all is not bad! My truck was trashed on the inside as well and it still needs cleaning that I haven't had time to do as of yet. I'm too busy keeping it running and trying to get some miles.

Good luck....

8. Henley

Henley Light Load Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Rock Springs, WY
    It will get better, guys. My first truck was absolutely disgusting inside and I spent the first two days cleaning and re-cleaning it, but found no way to completely eliminate the stale smoke odor the whole time I had it. By the way, that truck had previously been assigned to someone who posts in this very thread but no longer drives for W/S. Back in September the truck needed to go to Volvo in Missoula for an overhead, so I was moved over to the only open truck on the yard at the time. It was the same age and mileage, and had been registered at the same time as my first truck (plate numbers were one digit apart.) But this one was cleaner and had been better cared-for, and also had an APU so I considered it an upgrade. Of course, I had been slowly getting everything that needed it fixed on the first truck and now I had to start at the beginning with a whole new list of issues on the new truck. It's only recently that I've been able to address just about everything on my list. (I'll admit to being a picky sonofagun, though.)

Just about every company truck--at any company--is going to have some kind of issue you won't be completely happy with, whether it's missing cabinets, hood scratches you didn't put there, leaks, whatever. I mean, S2B is in one of the newer trucks in the fleet and lately he seems to be having all kinds of fun chasing gremlins in that thing. And while I have an APU, I've only been able to use it about half the time because every couple of weeks it chews up its main belt and so far we haven't had any luck preventing it. I had a bad ignition switch this winter I couldn't seem to get fixed no matter how many times I asked to be routed through a shop, so my truck ran continuously for more than five weeks straight.

As far as those bonuses go, just call or qualcomm the fuel guy in Missoula and he will adjust your fuel routing to keep you compliant. There are going to be times you won't be able to follow the fuel routing; just let him know about it and your bonus will be fine. Just make sure if you have to fuel out of route it's at a Pilot/Love's/Flying J/Petro/TA. I'd bet you could also explain the qualcomm mix-up and have that adjusted so it doesn't affect your bonus. And if you want to replace any of those sleeper cabinets, there's a trailer in Missoula full of them.

soon2betrucking and Deserted1 Thank this.
  9. Deserted1

Mar 8, 2010
    Riverside, ca
    Thanks, yea I have a pretty long list right now, some of its major like the Urine smell, the fuel filter (I didnt find the two that were on this truck till just now sitting waiting to be unloaded, so they can do that at the shop), the fuel gauge reading 100% incorrect, it goes from empty to full to empty again in 2 miles LOL. I know my long list wont be resolved but I am assuming they can atleast handle some of it. I never expected perfection just something that a company would be proud to say yes they own that.

Fun, fun, fun. Good news is I talked to SFS and one I get this thing parked im off for a few days. WOOT

10. Henley

Henley Light Load Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Rock Springs, WY
    If you look through the menus in the Volvo Driver Information Display on the dash you'll find several different fuel and mileage gauges that might still be accurate even if the regular fuel gauge isn't.

11. Mooniac

Mooniac Medium Load Member

May 19, 2008
    Vancouver, Washington
    What is W/S's fuel and qualcomm bonuses? Any other bonuses they offer? Thanks!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.