Watkins shepard

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by sal, Aug 31, 2007.

1. manofwar

manofwar Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Greatlakes, state
    So I read all these nice post and sent in an email application yesterday:biggrin_255: this is what I received today...We received your on-line application. At this time we have a hiring freeze in our Taylor, MI terminal. Thank you for applying with Watkins & Shepard.:biggrin_25512:

So back to square one ....Thanks trucking

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Deserted1

Deserted1 Medium Load Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Riverside, ca
    hahah back in PA I be! i got a beer run from PA to GA after I hit sayreville... Awesome! Funny though because I wanted to hit my fuel stop first before the load. I ended up passing the load spot by 20 miles (its not until tomorrow morning anyway so doesn't really matter). oh well its like OOR but for fuel + parking with a morning shower. Cant go wrong with that.

4. Deserted1

Mar 8, 2010
    Riverside, ca
    yea some terminals arent hiring right now, just keep trying. I know they are on a california kick right now, the past 2 classes were all california guys. infact I think the ones just finishing up are also.

BTW if your reading this, to the guy who called me asking me some questions, do me a fav and post up how you ended up doing? I know you guys finished on friday I believe.

soon2betrucking Thanks this.
  5. hunter223

hunter223 Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Greenville,Pa
    thank you for the replies .. i am not due to graduate my school until mid august ,just checking out different trucking companies that will actually hire newbies and this one is high on my list , i live in pa but only about 30 miles from youngstown. also today on 422 i saw a watkins shepard day truck.. is there much of that or is it mostly over the road

6. Deserted1

Mar 8, 2010
    Riverside, ca
    They have both day and OTR, you gotta put your OTR time in before you can go Local. And after doing this a few weeks I can see why, I prefer the open road sections with occasional city stuff, I know in the end I want local work, however for the time being until my experience level gets up there I think this is the way its gotta be.

7. wibarnboard

wibarnboard Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2009
    montrose colorado
    I think I'm going to Watkins & Shepard in Missoula at the end of the month. has anyone gone through orientation there? What do you guys and gals think about going otr solo right out of orientatation?

8. LostOne9

LostOne9 Medium Load Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Emerald triangle

Go for it! Thats why I went with them in the first place....no trainers.:biggrin_25515:
    It's kinda scary at first but just be CAREFUL and watch all your sides and you'll be fine.

9. Deserted1

Mar 8, 2010
    Riverside, ca
    You are exactly where I was a month ago, and I can say it is a decision I do not regret. Its funny thought when I am sitting at the table with 4 other drivers and they ask how long ive done it for. i say 2 weeks. they ask where my trainer is and I tell them about how W/S doesn't use trainers, they just kinda seem dumbfounded by it.

I prefer to see it as Trial by Fire. If you can drive a truck, then you can drive a truck. I think W/S sees it the same way, either you can do it or you cant, a trainer isn't going to teach you how to drive. They will teach you all the bad habits they have. Starting out its actually very humbling, I watch others and listen alot, I dont open my mouth unless asked my opinion. I am soaking up everything everyone has to say and taking it with a huge tablespoon of salt. I am learning that most people are helpful, I dont trust anyone as far as when backing up, when I get to the truck stop and start backing up I turn the CB off, I dont care if some old guy is telling me i got it just get it done, I am getting out and double checking everything. Its just stupid not to.

Day by day I am becoming more comfortable with driving this thing, the hardest part for me was city driving, yea I can do it but figuring out your routes and such is something nobody really shows you, ya kinda gotta do your own thing. Me and the guy that I had in class had talked a bit to Kelby during our 10 day about what they expect of new drivers and such, they know we are green and know that we are "scared" (I use that word even though its more unsure than scared). But they also have to know you can drive, they do test you and find out if you can or cant do it. Do not expect to be perfect though the 10 day program. you are going to miss shifts and do stupid stuff, its that nervous driving with a trainer thing. Once your out on your own you will relax and find shifting easier every day.

The other thing, and I found this the hardest part, once you get released into the world with your own truck, its going to get very quiet very quickly. You will find you miss home a bit more for the first few days. Stick with it, when you get your home time the first time around you are gonna want to get back on the road pretty quickly. I ended up staying home for a good 4 days or so. I wanted to get back to driving after 2 days. I actually missed it. This go around I am having a bit more fun and I am a bit more comfortable with living out here. I do want my 90 days to come up quick though, I am wanting to get my GF out on this truck and let her see some of the stuff I have seen. I know she would like it as much as I do.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
    LostOne9 and soon2betrucking Thank this.
  10. Warpdrvr

Warpdrvr Heavy Load Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Corona, CA
    Wow, I've had one heck of a day....first thing this morning, I have to fuel out of route since my truck runs like crap in this high altitude of Colorado, then I get a QC from dispatch, deadhead the 160 miles or so from Genwood Springs back to the terminal in Denver. So, I get here, find out I have a load, but isn't ready for pick up until midnight...oh boy. I tell him (dispatcher) ok, I'm here and waiting...he QC's me back and tells me the load has been cancelled and there is nothing else at this time. There are at least 3 other drivers hanging around the yard as well....I say fooey, head over to the "J" and get some sorely needed laundry done, and grab a shower and dinner. I figure I may as well as stay here instead of the terminal. Better food (oh, wait the terminal doesn't have food!), cold drinks and a bathroom that isn't out of paper towels and seems cleaner.

That's trucking some days......

11. Deserted1

Mar 8, 2010
    Riverside, ca
    wait we have a terminal in denver LOL

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.