Watkins shepard

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by sal, Aug 31, 2007.

1. sal

sal Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2007
    sacramento Ca
    Hey Jeff let us know how it goes. I'm working on going to the November class. Sandy is working on my application but the November class is on the back burner till the Oct, class is all taken care of. Say can't you send the tools with the check in luggage ? I sure don't want to ride some buss from Sacramento to Missoula. Well Good Luck and let us know how it goes

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. B-rad

B-rad Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    The tools could also be sent to Missoula in a box by UPS or FEDEX so they would get there by the time you arrived.

I think that trucking companies send a person to training by bus to get you used to long road travel as well as saving on the price of an airplane ticket. It would be a long grind from Sacramento to Missoula by bus.

4. Raak

Raak Bobtail Member

Sep 11, 2007
    Vancouver, WA
    Yes you can ship the tools in your checked bags when you fly. I have done that before when I flew to Ohio to get the RV. Didn't want to make that trip west without a few tools on hand.

My wife asked me how far of a drive it was from here in Vancouver to Missoula. I looked it up and yahoo said about an 8 hour drive. Now she wants us to drive there so she can look in on some friends there that we haven't seen in years. Looks like we'll be making the trip in more comfort as long as W/S hasn't purchased my bus ticket yet. I emailed to ask but won't hear back until Monday.

Oh I went and took my CDL Permit test today and passed. All set to go now!

Jeff

5. sal

sal Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2007
    sacramento Ca
    Say Jeff.........keep up posted if you can. Let us know how things go, good luck and stay out of the cold:biggrin_25523: Sal

WingRider Thanks this.
  6. johnnypage

johnnypage Bobtail Member

May 2, 2007
    Congrats on getting the permit Raak! Did they tell you that we would have to take the test again for Montana's permit :biggrin_2554:

Oy vay, I hated taking that test and we have to do it again.

For the tools thing, I think I'll wait till I get there and buy what I need at Sears or something, I don't feel like toting those tools around with me.

Don't worry Sal, I'll try to keep you updated and let you know what it is like there. I'm thinking of doing a blog for my friends and if it works out I'll let you know.

Cheers everyone, enjoy the last of your weekend. Or in my case, my last weekend here.

Johnny

7. sal

sal Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2007
    sacramento Ca
    Sounds good Johnny , will be looking foward to it.
    Sal

WingRider Thanks this.
  8. Arkie

Arkie Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Bullhead City, AZ
    I am jelous, All these guys are going to beat us to the snow.
    Hi! I am new here and have been digging for more W/S information also and if all goes well I will be in the Nov 26th class as well. Got my new work boots yesterday and have to look for warm shirts. This is going to be like going back to Thule Greenland again. But I think the best training around as far as location goes. Clean Fresh Air

I have been looking at companys for months and almost started with couple but backed out because of bad press on the forums and change of policy right before I was to go. Bait and Switch I think.

43 Days and Counting
    Arkie

9. sal

sal Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2007
    sacramento Ca
    Say to all that are going to the October class. Besides getting you drivers permit and DOT physical what else was involved before getting accepted ?? Was there some sort of a W/S physical or stress test??
    By the way congratulation's , good luck and stay out of the cold.:biggrin_25523:

WingRider Thanks this.
  10. JonDC70

JonDC70 Light Load Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Watkinsville, GA
    When I went for the DOT physical/drug test, they also administered an agility test on the part of W/S. Basically it was repetitions of exercises that simulated potential job tasks. You go up and down a high step like climbing into a truck. Test your grip strength. Push and pull a weight (75lbs.?) around on the floor (pallet jack). Lift weight up to shoulder level (60 lbs?). Bend every which way. Couple other things and a five minute walk on a treadmill. It was nothing strenuous, just remember to use good lifting technique and keep breathing.

Also there is apparently some kind of post offer interview. I haven't done that part yet, but they left a message with me on Friday saying they would call back about that today. Jeff? You've had that I'm sure. What's this about?

Jon

11. Arkie

Arkie Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Bullhead City, AZ
    I went to the schneider web site and downloded their stress test PDF file and now I will be practicing it. I would leave the link here but I think that is against the rules on this board.

Maybe I will shoot off a email to Bonnie and ask her.

Arkie

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.