Watkins shepard

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by sal, Aug 31, 2007.

1. hicksie

hicksie Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Franklin, North Carolina
    Hey guys, Been thinking about going to W/S since my job is about to starve me out. I was wondering how it is running out of the Hickory, NC. term or Dalton Ga term. is and how many miles do you think you can get running out of one of those 2 and what kind of home time you been getting. Next question is how do they handle getting you home for unexpected things, like a sickness or something. been hung out before and just wanted to ask someone who works for them now how it is. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Java Joe

Java Joe Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I have been with W/S for almost 3 months now, and I enjoy it a lot. There has been a little bit of fingerprinting, but I am a youngin' so I can take the beating :biggrin_25525:
    But, overall, I would recommend them to anyone who wants to be treated like a person and not a number.

4. Java Joe

Sep 19, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I haven't been to the east yet, so I can't comment on that part of it, but everytime I have asked to be home, they have gotten me there in time... once was cut a little tight, but I got there.
    Although i havent had anything come up unexpected... i just drove through being sick

hicksie Thanks this.
  5. Tragic Magic

Tragic Magic Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Albertville Alabama
    What is training like at w/s? I'm gonna give them a call tommorrow. I turned in an app friday.

6. Java Joe

Sep 19, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    They have 3 different programs as far as I know... A 3 day for experienced drivers, a 10 day for new CDL grads or 30 day training.

If you don't yet have your CDL, I would recommend looking into their 30 day class. I was there for my 10 day and saw that the 30 day students got a little more real world experience during the training. They do not operate like a CDL mill that you are likely to come across elsewhere.

If you already have your CDL you will do the 10 day. Which is more of just an orientation with a little bit of driving.

The biggest bonus I felt is that you can go out in the yard and practice backing anytime you want after hours.

I'm sure a few of the 30 day students will chime in, but that's my $0.02 :biggrin_25525:

Baack Thanks this.
  7. Tragic Magic

Tragic Magic Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Albertville Alabama
    Thanks Java Joe.
    That sounds good to me. Being a woman i'm a little scared of shifting gears and may need some extra practice. CFI trained us in automatics but I held my own there. Is it 30 day training and then you go out with a trainer or in 30 days your turned loose? What is starting pay? The website had very little info.:biggrin_25526:

8. npc2009

npc2009 Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Texas
    Could someone explain me what dirt miles is?

9. soon2betrucking

soon2betrucking Road Train Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Philadelphia, Pa
    its 30 days hands on, real deal, real weight training, up down the mts of montana, teaching you all you need to no, and best part is they are going to teach you the way watkins shepad wants it done, which is a good thing i think. after your 30 days you are turned lose, but they wont send ya on your own if they feel you are not ready for this, so really you have no worries.
    they have 2 different starting pay's, first one is .28cpm if you take the tuition pay back. the second is .29 if you choose not to, id imagine most people opt for the .28. its kinda the nicer way to go. i agee they should have more to the website. but they dont, but you found us here that will offer any advise you want/need.

NPC2009, id imagine that " dirt miles " could mean crappy miles.
    it used to be, 3,000+ miles a week was a good week, and now they call a good week 900-1000 miles a week, could be wrong about the meaning but theres an idea of what it could mean.

10. Java Joe

Sep 19, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm sure you'll do fine with a bit of practice. As far as with the trainers? What's a trainer? Heh, You'll get all all the training you need in their class and then get let loose after the 30 days in your own truck. That was one of the major draws that got me to go with W/S. I didn't want to get stuck with someone I didn't know for several weeks just to hold a steering wheel for the guy.

Starting pay is at $.28/mile and goes up from there, ask the recruiting dept for info, they can email it to you.

Hope that helps a bit... Also, make sure you read through all 90 pages of this thread, there is a lot of good info here.

11. 6309

6309 Light Load Member

Jan 26, 2009
    NORCAL
    Hey Java Joe,

What was the driving tests like? Did you do a lot of mountain or city driving during orientation? Can you give any in site on the instructors?
    Thanks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.