*Waves* Nice To See Ya? :)

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by just_Joie, Jun 23, 2009.

1. just_Joie

just_Joie Bobtail Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Catahoula Parish, La
    Thank you, Pat! I scoped out google and forums and joined up here for the reasons you mention and how friendly and straight up most seem to be here. I did join one of those mass application submission sites to the trucking companies out there but that seems close to worthless. They allegedly matched my app to companies wanting people like me and when I checked on the ones it sent them to, most do not advertise accepting newb drivers, so that is a joke.

I have people in Navarre over your way. I will see about finding coonass, too, but this no pm rule is a hassle for an adult not looking to cause trouble. The companies hold your training fee over your head to keep you and the forum here holds your post count over your head too before you can pm or join social groups. Kinda funny :). I say let us be after about 10 posts to prove we're not spambots and kick out and penalize the few who abuse it.

Of course, opinions are like... well, everyone has one at least, and you know the rest of the joke ;)

just j

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tankergirl80

Tankergirl80 GangstaGirl

Jan 7, 2009
    West Texas
    Yep, I work with a guy who did the lease program with Prime for 10yrs and never left TX and OK.
    I hate to say it and I know you don't want to hear it..... You may need to go OTR with a major carrier. They'll generally always accept new drivers. There are a lot of smaller companies that may be willing to train but I'm guessing you don't have the time to be doing that much leg work trying to find one.
    Then yep sounds like tanks could be your thing. Not just liquid but dry bulk as well.
    1- There are companies that train, some of them major carriers:biggrin_2557: i.e. Schneider.
    2- Why hire you? Cause they are cheap and they don't have to pay you what they have to pay someone with a lot of experience. (Just MHO)
    I've never gotten a cop to apologize....:biggrin_25513: so you got me there. lol
    Yea I've heard the stories of rape and abuse. I did not experience that with my trainer, but it was a girl. I can tell you my other half used to be a trainer and his dispatch called him one day to go get a trainee that was stranded at a gas station, abandoned by her trainer. She told him that she was broke because the trainer she had was making her pay tolls and other expenses. When she ran out of money he put her out. My fiancee can't say for sure but he said he thought more went down in that truck than she was admitting to. He said she was jumpy and timid (but maybe that's how she was all time, who knows.)
    I'm originally from Maryland and things are different up there than down here. Up there I never had any issues. Here, however, I had some issues. I'd call about an ad in the paper for a CDL position and the girl would say "Umm, that's driving a big truck" ah, yeah I know "well you need a CDL for that" ah, yeah , got one. "oh well um, I don't know, I know there's an office position available" :biggrin_2554: It was really frustrating. Even when I started here I didn't catch any flak but nobody really spoke to me. After a few months I finally earned their respect and now I'm just one of the guys I guess.
    Most places will ask your preference, I'd tell them either, that way if they have a female maybe you'll get her, but you won't be stuck waiting forever if there isn't one. You were a cop so you're one step ahead of a lot of us. You've seen the ugly side of soceity, you know what some people are capable of. Make sure you have a cell phone or at least some money on you at all times in case you get the heebie jeebies and think something's amiss with him. Truth be known though, he's not gonna teach you much. I mean he'll give you the basics but that's all he can do. So much of trucking is judgement calls and there's too many variables. You just have to learn most on your own and figure out how it works for you. For example, he'll teach you how to back up, his way, it's up to you to figure out how you like to do it.

Ok I gotta go to bed now, 3:30 comes awfully fast. :yes2557:

just_Joie Thanks this.
  4. just_Joie

just_Joie Bobtail Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Catahoula Parish, La
    I have an app in with Prime, now. No response yet, though, and it sounds like a billion people are applying as the economy stays rough. Plus, I really do not want to go OTR if there is another way... and there always is one if you persevere. Nobdy here to take care of the house, etc. I need to get back every week or so for a while. Just how it is. So...

Leads? an effective google term I haven't thought of? I am applying to anything for now, including wally mart, but nothing says I cannot run down options I may like better and do better with in the longer run.

I'll take a look at Schneider and see what I found out.

Oh, there would so be "issues" if a trainer ever tried a bit of that shine...

I was from Florida before moving here a couple years back (oh, why??) and know just what you mean. Things are different here and I find it very hard to even make friends here because of it. I need to relocate to a larger city versus this absolute rural, for more reasons than a job only. I am the wrong age, sex, marital status, accent, religion, you name it, and if a few were any more judgemental they'd have their own tv shows like Judge Judy. I have lived all over the world and never run into such minds as I have here...

Thank you for your time Tankergirl80! I really do appreciate you taking the time to reply to me.

just j

5. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Check out Schneider . They are expanding their bulk tanker fleets due to new contracts . Google Scneider Growmark .

6. Tankergirl80

Tankergirl80 GangstaGirl

Jan 7, 2009
    West Texas
    I was thinking today (dangerous, I know) I'm not sure where you are in LA but do you have any distribution centers around you like Dollar General, Family Dollar, Auto Zone etc.? Most of the major carriers have dedicated accounts with the DCs and a lot of the work is primarily regional. If you have a DC near by, scope it out and see who's running in there a lot (preferably with the DC's trailer on, but not necessarily). Probably Werner, US Xpress, JB Hunt and such. Then give the recruiter a call and ask about getting on board for that since you live near the DC.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.