We all like the current HOS

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by tucker, Aug 28, 2018.

Do you like the current HOS

This poll will close on Aug 28, 2028 at 12:22 PM.
  1. Yes

2. No

3. I'm too lazy to comment to the FMSCA

4. It won't help

5. They'll do what they want anyways

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Here's a few of the comments

Comment

Hello i am a truck driver and i think the rules should be 13 hours driving and 14 hours on duty and a i enjoy the 30 min break and i think we need more places to park and i also think that these truck stops with paid parking should not be allowed to charge a driver to park there cause we spend sk much money i there facilitys and we dont get any kind of respect from them

Why must the government interfere with my business? It's my business for reason so why should The government have any say on how i run it..... The government has never sat there ### in a seat of a truck and they want to make up the rules... I am the oldest of the fourth generation of my family to be driving truck which I got 22 years of experience doing running my own business..... you can put all the rules you want to put out here but I'm still going to do what I want when I want to do it... I propose you get rid of the ELD's they are unsafe you say the government it will save lives with more people kill themselves trying to rush around to get the job done number one number two you got more people out here and drugs that kill themselves

Comment
    I am a long haul Trucker. I have driven over one million accident free miles,and have never been issued a speeding ticket. Flexability can't be overstated here. what if I were to tell you, you had one job today get loaded in the DC area and drive to Jacksonville,Florida. Now here's the catch you have 14 hours from now to complete this task Go! This is the first problem with our current hours of service, the 14 hour clock. It never stops. What if you went to get loaded in DC but there was heavy traffic(the clock still tics). What if when you arrived at tbe shipper to get loaded,they took three hours to load you,(the clock still tics). By now you only have 8 or nine hours left on your clock and remember you have to drive to Jacksonville,Fl. Will there be bad weather? Doesn't matter the clock says go go go. Would you like to take a nap,maybe stop and not have to go thru rush hour? No go go go beat the clock while driving 80000 pounds down the highway. Why must you hurry? Our second problem 10 consecutive hour break. If you don't make it all the way to your delivery tonight,even if you make it TEN miles away and shut down,you are stuck for 10 hours maybe on the side of tbe road with no facilities,no morning coffee,but even after 6 or 7 hours of sleep you will get up on the side of the road and watch your clock tic away for 3 more hours. So maybe long haul driving would be better. So after Jacksonville you take a load to Seattle,Wa over 2400 miles. You arrive Thursday morning for delivery and we run into our third problem the 34 hour restart! Yup you deliver thursday morning and shutdown 10 am. You sit at a truckstop all day and all night. Friday morning comes around and you feel refreshed but you still have to sit? Why? You sit all the way until 8:00pm friday night.unfortunately business hours are over and now its tbe weekend you won't get your next load until monday morning. Yup you will sit for over 40 hours more than an entire work week not at home with your family and not making any money. You were rested after 24 but? You wonder as a professional how can an 19 year old kid jump in his car and drive unrestricted from Jacksonville,Fl to Seattle,Wa. No regulation no rules the government expects the 19 year old kid in his car to use common sense. Sleep when he is tired drive when he is not. Hmmmm. Why are you being punished just because your making money. Now if the kid screws up enough they will suspend his license. But if he doesn't ever have a problem he will be left to make his own choices. He will have his freedom. Last problem and the most important ELD's. You wouldn't let your dentist give you a root canal if he had a stopwatch that counted down in his face. He must be finished in 25 minutes no matter what, that would be crazy! How about you get in an uber the driver peels away and says buckle up I only have 9 minutes left on my clock and I have to get you across town in rush hour in a snow storm. You would demand to stop the car and get out! So why would someone mandate an 80,000 pound vehicle,drivin by (Unskilled Labor). That's right truckers are considered unskilled labor. Why did you put a stopwatch in there trucks? Look at Landstar inc they used to be a safe company. 5 years ago they started installing elds now look at there crash ratings. Pretty log books NEVER MATTERED! Its about the crashes. When I was on paper logs I slept everytime I got tired, I stopped everytime the weather got bad. I stopped and waited out rush hour so I didn't cause more problems in th big cities. And yes Everytime I made these decisions to be safe, I was breaking YOUR laws. I choose saftey over log compliance......not now I wake up and rush through a 14 hr day every day as fast as I can. I have to drive through snow, rain,fog with one eye on the road. And one eye on my eld. All freedom has been taken from tbe american driver. Im 35 years old I wanted to do this the rest of my life. Please help do the right thing this time. Here are some solutions. No 14 hour rule. you can drive how ever long it takes to get 11 hrs in then take an 8 hour break. Or you can split your break up then it should become a 10 hr break so 5 and 5. No 34 restart it should be 24 hours off after 70. We need personal conveyance/safe haven to have a very open meaning such as while loaded and looking for parking. Also Eld'should always be optional. One last Idea what about a performance based log book? Start with my rules as a silver level log book all driver begin with it. 5 years of no at fault accidents move to gold status 12 hrs driving 7 hrs break or 5 n 5 split no restart. If a driver has an at fault accident move them down to the bronze level 10 hrs driving 10hrs break only 8/2 split full 34hr restart. If a driver has more accidents in the same year go to black status 8 hrs driving 10 off 34 restart and ELD! However if after 10 years of driving accident free put a driver at legendary status no log book! Encourage good drivers stop forcing it!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 2old

2old Heavy Load Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Not sure how to handle this ( just another in a long series of "tales of woe" )
    I have questions regarding both comments. Are you able to answer questions on behalf of those two authors? Both comments are full of very common problems. How did they legally handle things before ELD? Let me guess...?

4. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Before ELD they would just draw pretty lines that would satisfy Mr. DoT. Was that your guess? Yeah, I thought it was.

2old Thanks this.
  5. 2old

2old Heavy Load Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Amazing ain't it?

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    No you did good.

The problem is the peanut gallery buried you.

Trucking has nothing of a organized union or group with the power to enforce 250 a hour. Truckers are disposible. 50 show up in many company orientations who take the pick of the litter and discard the rest.

I am familiar with a 747-200 in virtual flying on computer but I would have a little trouble doing one in real life. Two completely different things. It's not going to happen. And likewise some people would do well never to be in a big truck, particularly when they do stupid stuff with one.

The trucking industry will have to undergo a significant reformation in order to pay drivers very good money. That will not happen any time soon because way too many people show up and think oh .30 a mile OTR cool. Not.

2old Thanks this.
  7. 2old

2old Heavy Load Member

Jun 12, 2018
    You wrote a lot and said bunch but the really important thing that stuck out in my mind was:

"The trucking industry will have to undergo a significant reformation in order to pay drivers very good money. That will not happen any time soon because way too many people show up and think oh .30 a mile OTR cool. Not."

My response to that is... very well said!

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. MBAngel

MBAngel Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Tucson, Arizona
    My question is, how does several breaks during the day equate to a full 6 to 8 hours of sleep that most humans need? I'm not sure that 3 - 2 hour naps = 6 hours of rem sleep. How do we tell the difference between someone who is actually resting in those breaks, and someone who just "logs sleeper" when they hit the dock yards? Don't say it doesn't happen, I've only been reading this forum for about 3 months, and I've seen it actually said several times. But yet, they'll admit that they still have to go in and do paperwork, and move their truck to the dock, and be available to move when their load is ready to go, or even move their truck in a line waiting to get a dock. 10 forced hours off the road, and you're going to rest, most likely, although that too doesn't always happen. Great example - that walmart driver who ran into the comedian and killed someone. He had decided not to sleep during his 10.

Multiple breaks like that are just some ppl's way of jerking the system. It's a way around getting enough sleep to be safe. It's dangerous and bad for the general public. I'm not saying that you, personally, would cheat the system. I'm saying that those "supertruckers" that are complained about daily would definitely use it to game the system.

Cattleman84, 06driver and 2old Thank this.
  9. MBAngel

MBAngel Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Tucson, Arizona
    And you all seem to forget this point above all. Without the regulations, there would be companies, not all, but enough, saying "this load needs to be there in 24 hours, so drive all night, and speed to get there". Without the rules they could dock your pay if you don't get there on time. You could lose your license, or your life, for a "load". You could lose your life because that driver runs into you. Your family could die because of "that guy". Without forcing companies to allow you rest, and allow you a break, you wouldn't get it. The government HAS to be involved because people die without some oversight. People are turned into slaves for the industry without oversight. We're not some car driving down the road, who might kill a person or two... we are 80 THOUSAND pounds of DEADLY FORCE IN MOTION. When a truck crashes, it can wipe out SEVERAL cars. They don't drug test class d drivers. They drug test US because we have control of massive deadly forces. There are certain professions that should not be done while drunk, or drugged, or tired. This is one of them. I don't want my doctor drugged out, or too tired. I don't want airplane pilots, or heavy equipment operators, or crane operators, or the workers in any other industry where ppl die if a mistake is made to do those jobs while drugged or drunk or too tired. Math and science have told us the answers. It's up to us to follow the rules that were made for our own good, and for the good of those around us. We are not on those roads alone. It's not just truckers on those roads, who all agree to take this risk. It's all the people that we love who are out there too.

tucker Thanks this.
  10. 2old

2old Heavy Load Member

Jun 12, 2018
    I enjoyed your post because it really gets to the intended (for lack of a better term) >>> matter which would seem, is the end goal of 10hrs off. That said, there is the obvious question which looms large regarding carcadian rythem or alteration.
    For those whom are not familiar I quote in italics below

"The sleep cycle is an oscillation between the slow-wave and REM phases of sleep. It is sometimes called the ultradian sleep cycle, sleep–dream cycle, or REM-NREM cycle, to distinguish it from the circadian alternation between sleep and wakefulness. In humans this cycle takes 1–2 hours. Wikipedia"

I do NOT pretend to be expert in explaining it, but, in simple layman's terms, it is that cycle that "most" of us know a bed time, which regularly occurs at a pretty regular time each day.

Example: 10 o'clock PM. That time is when you might be accustomed to going to bed.

When a driver is forced to take his 10 hrs off beginning at 10 o'clock in the morning, he is not likely to be able to fall asleep let alone get 6 hrs of Rem sleep. That is where I think the weakness is in mandating sleep. I can well understand how frustrating it is to be wide awake but supposed to be getting 6 hrs of Rem sleep.

Bank_Lbr and MBAngel Thank this.
  11. 2old

2old Heavy Load Member

Jun 12, 2018
    @MBAngel wrote: "And you all seem to forget this point above all. Without the regulations, there would becompanies, not all, but enough, saying "thisload needs to be there in 24 hours, sodrive all night, and speed to get there".Without the rules they could dock your pay if youdon'tget there on time."

"And you all" .. sanctimony??? WTF??

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.