We all like the current HOS

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by tucker, Aug 28, 2018.

Do you like the current HOS

This poll will close on Aug 28, 2028 at 12:22 PM.
  1. Yes

2. No

3. I'm too lazy to comment to the FMSCA

4. It won't help

5. They'll do what they want anyways

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. 2old

2old Heavy Load Member

Jun 12, 2018
    "WHAT IS CIRCADIAN RHYTHM?

If you’ve ever noticed that you tend to feel energized and drowsy around the same times every day, you have your circadian rhythm to thank. What is it, exactly? Your circadian rhythm is basically a 24-hour internal clock that is running in the background of your brain and cycles between sleepiness and alertness at regular intervals. It's also known as your sleep/wake cycle."

Sorry...one should never be in a hurry to post.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 2old

2old Heavy Load Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Katy bar the door!

There's a sanctimonious FREAK outside whom owes the good people of this thread an apology!

Thank goodness for this clever little "ignore button"

4. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Without a straight 10 hour break no driver would ever know if he can take a 10 hour break or be asked to repower a load at a moments notice.
    Plus the load planners could schedule pickups and deliverys at any time leaving the driver to nap a little here and a little there.

And the 70 hour rule would make all that spilt Breaking meaningless.

5. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I agree that there would be people that would take advantage of it... But you yourself pointed out that some people take advantage of the system as it is and don't sleep any way.

Another benefit of adjusting the split berth to something similar to that which I described would be the ability to shift your day to better align with your personal sleep/wake cycle. I personally function better when I can drive at night and sleep in the day... Not to mention many other the benefits of night driving.

2old Thanks this.
  6. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    Every sector is different. For me a 650 mile day, do it however you want, but as soon as you hit 650 you would be required to take ten. Plain and simple. Surely easy enough.

2old Thanks this.
  7. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    I was at the store this afternoon. I strolled through the bakery and saw the individual cake slices I was just going to get two. Then I saw that I could get a whole single layer for a dollar more.

I'm a little sick to my stomach now.

2old, tucker and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  8. 2old

2old Heavy Load Member

Jun 12, 2018
    You did a very nice job of suggesting a change. The FMSCA (hopefully) knows that there is always room for improvement and since you were careful to make yours;

1. Viable
    2. Clearly understandable
    3. Respectful
    4. Showing examples of how it would help many others (if not all)
    Then I would wager to say it caught the eye of someone. Who knows? It may have gone in the "save for future consideration pile" ... frustrating as it might be to make an effort like that, and to feel like it was in vain, is perfectly understandable. But... you are an example of the kind of driver who needs to voice his opinion on matters such as this.

You did it the right way and that is a reflection of both character and professionalism.

I'm glad you shared it with us.

Thank you.

Bank_Lbr and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  9. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    No where in the reg does it give time frame of the 14.

10. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    A local guy could drive 24 hours a day and never hit that number. OS/OD could drive 20 hours some days and not make that.
    Guys doing good service would be driving after 24 hours........

Not a good plan.

11. 2old

2old Heavy Load Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Oh?

"The 14-hour rule prohibits the driver of a property-carrying commercial motor vehicle, operating in interstate commerce, from driving after the 14th consecutive hour after first coming on duty following 10 consecutive hoursoff duty. ... Of those 14 hours, 11 may be spent driving."
    14-Hour Rule

14-Hour Rule

Bank_Lbr Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.