We lost a good guy this last week...

Discussion in 'Watkins & Shepard' started by zmpart, Feb 22, 2013.

1. zmpart

zmpart Light Load Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Well with all the crap that went down last week i guess they needed a scape goat and we ended up losing a really good guy, one who always took the time to listen to the drivers and address their needs as best as possible, a driver himself once, and a #### good one, who always went to bat for us. I wished he wouldn't have taken the job when they strong armed him into it, cause they always use that position, thankless as it already is, as a place to put the blame for all of ours inability to do one of the simplest tasks we are asked to do, to log correctly. And so they did.....the blame for the act lies with the managment, but the blame for the situation lies with each one of us.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. hup

hup Medium Load Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Missoula, MT
    A "good guy" maybe, but a useless one. Never had any respect for him. Sent him multiple QC msgs asking questions, to which he never even bothered to respond. Useless. Just seemed like a joke to me. Good riddance!

(ps I'm just guessing about who you are referring to.)

Milktanker Thanks this.
  4. Milktanker

Milktanker Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Frenchtown, mt
    He was a really decent guy to get along with just talking to him but in the end he wasn't doing log audits the wAy he was supposed to and it ended up hurting the company big time with this audit. By doing that he pretty much guaranteed we will be on e-logs within the year. It is sad to see someone with that much experience with a company get fired because he is a good guy for the most part but unfortunately every place needs a scapegoat and unfortunately he was Watkins.
    If the company isn't willing to correct the offenders then dot sure as h*** will step in and do it for them which is exactly what happened here.

5. BackIsSore

BackIsSore Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2008
    USA
    What was the initial to his first name??

6. RAGE 18

RAGE 18 Road Train Member

Jan 31, 2011
    GOLD£N☆STAT£
    So he wasnt informing you guys of violations? I know a lot of mistakes are done at scanning and it makes it look like I had a long list of violations but I only had one in 6 months and they need to be adressed and corrected. So u guys failed the audit? Just cuz someone is cool to talk to It dont mean hes doing his job.

7. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Something similar happened at our carrier . While safety claimed nontolerance for HOS violations a small percentage of drivers could falsify the logs and get it past the safety department . They didn't fool the FMCSA auditor . The carrier has over 100 terminals but the corporate safety office wants to manage everything and control log auditing . I feel it would have been better for each of the hundred terminals to audit their own average 30 drivers than have one office try to audit over 3,000 drivers .
    The carrier got nailed due to ignorance . They gave us Blackberrys that got pinged every 15 minutes when we were under load . The safety department never bothered to match Blackberry GPS locations with the driver logs . The auditor had a field day when he did that .
    The consequences were all drivers were required to take several hours of online HOS training . The poor safety rating resulted in an INSPECT rating at scales which resulted in all PrePasses being redlighted and we are now on e-logs .

sherlock510 and Milktanker Thank this.
  8. Milktanker

Jun 25, 2012
    Frenchtown, mt
    The story I got is he was telling the company that they were doing in house audits and taking care of the problem, but it wasn't being done. What dot nailed us on was they found a lot of fuel stops that didn't match the books. 25 company drivers have been fired so far as well as 5 owner ops because of it. So now we have 38 days left and dot is going to come back in and make sure the problems have been fixed.

9. RAGE 18

RAGE 18 Road Train Member

Jan 31, 2011
    GOLD£N☆STAT£
    Shucks I was afraid u were going to say that I assumed everybody already knew about the fuel stops. Yea thats a given.

10. sherlock510

sherlock510 Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Intercontinental.
    Haven't been here long but the guy never gave me a problem.

Maybe a QC here and there telling me to slow it down, on the west coast.
    Oh well....

11. Milktanker

Jun 25, 2012
    Frenchtown, mt
    Yeah it's really pretty sad how many guys thought they can't track fuel stops.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.