We should park our units

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by freight-time, Jan 11, 2018.

1. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

Man you havent been driving long have you. First I have never "cooked the books to run cheap". I either profit or my rig sits still. If you have to know in the past I have cooked the books to get a job done for a customer in need. IT WAS NEVER CHEAP. Now I haven't fone this for some years. Actual its a rare occasion that I work over 10 hours. As for the other ideas you listed are either taxes that go to roads and bridges, or legit safety items. Which all have a effect on my safety and revenue. Better road, easier on the truck. Better for me. The ELD in my choice for my operation now or in the future. If you like then that should be your choice to use them. But Im not running to pro Eld rooms and shooting of at the mouth about it. Drag your self to the little boys room, grow up and get your own truck. The you might start to realize the full implication of this mandate. This is the start of it, in trucking and especially America. However most Americans are to self-interest to even notice what's about to happen. Its not about running illegal at all. My friends and family are on these roads. Owner Operators want them safer. This is not the way to go about it. Change HOS, ELD's by choice, More training, and raise rates. And to the guys that cook the books to run cheap, well they are never in business long and rank with the megas to me. They come and go, and some of us do this successfully for generations. I'm forth generation.
    #eldorme

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    I have $20,000 of Michelin Tires setting on my equipment in the parking lot. You do not need to talk to me about saftey. Pole rider, Pole crusher or whatever.

4. Ristow

Ristow Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Fema Region 5
    some people have a dislike for having nonsensical laws applied to us, then being forced to buy an active tracking device to force compliance. same group of people see thru the "safety" propaganda program being used to garner support.

....and some peopledon't,and embrace it.

Grubby, stwik, Justrucking2 and 2 others Thank this.
  5. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    I guess I’m the only person who used the OOIDA sticker.

4mer trucker Thanks this.
  6. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    No they quit, heard it on both ends, left Fort Wayne scrambling. The guys in Lansing were po'd to say the least... This outfit worked for two months, and then one day, they never showed up. Sounds like quitting to me. ;-)

And you are correct, GM contract freight is CHEAP. So is Ford and Chrysler too.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  7. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Contract automotive was always dirt cheap around here. I quit expedite several years ago when it turned it to ordinary everyday cheap rates. I do it once in a while for CHR. They're the only ones that don't flinch at some really high quotes. I don't mind trucking overnight 400-600 miles nonstop but I ain't doing that #### for peanuts. Lots of people will tho. The shorter local expedite were always my favorites but those aren't for #### anymore either. I'd rather put up with reefer BS. At least the rates are easier to come by. It's funny because as in demand and hot as vans are everywhere right now, including my area, no-one really seems to want to pay much for them. Mine has sat for a couple of months now and probably won't move until May or June.

8. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Yeah, reefer rates look pretty tempting. I just can't stand getting off the I-5 corridor anymore or I'd buy a reefer trailer and go after it. I was perusing refer rates out of Portland tonight. Some of the rates are pretty juicy, I think ;-) Screenshot_2018-01-12-18-09-17.png

9. phantom 310

phantom 310 Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2017
    Its trumps fault!! When you don't like something blame trump.get with the program!

10. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    There is money in automotive expedite, depends on who you are working with. We are small, less than 10 o/ops, Tier One Carrier, and GM Expedite Carrier of the Year. I drove around 1800 miles this week, Net after fuel was $4800. I went to work Monday afternoon, finished tonight at 1830. I don't think that is bad. Oh, and that is with the ELD... ;-)

11. PoleCrusher

PoleCrusher Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    This is why you will not win the fight against the ELD mandate.

While you have some valid points, you completely discredit yourself by;

A. Assuming things about others who you do not know.

B. Taking what somebody else is trying to point out to you as a personal insult, therefore becoming defensive.

C. Resorting to low brow name calling.

Would you point out to me one place where I have stated that I supported the mandate? Don't bother looking because I never have.

I know facts are hard for some to follow, but the spike in load to truck ratios and corresponding freight rates shows how many small outfits and O/Os were running illegal logs.

When the last HOS revision was in the works, FMCSA published the rules for comments, for 30 days, twice. They recieved a few hundred total comments from truckers. Why care what the rules are if you're not going to follow them regardless?

Now that all you super trucking cowboys have no choice, its suddenly time to give a ####?

It's the same crowd that runs around saying "Don't haul cheap freight." Then runs after buck a mile freight throwing paper out the window just as fast as they can pedal. Or the company hand that thinks they're a big time trucker running 4000 mi a week for pennies, then bragging about how they "run hard".

ladr and sealevel Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.