Week One at Central Ref...(woman's perspective)

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by techiekate29, Jul 12, 2009.

1. techiekate29

techiekate29 Light Load Member

May 27, 2009
    Michigan City, IN
    Oscar,

I know for sure that there were four people that couldn't pass the work-well physical. I older lady couldn't lift the 50 and 75 lb. crates up to the eye level shelf. One guy couldn't stand on one foot and one guy couldn't squat all the way when we were picking stuff up off the floor. The last person's heart rate was to high so they didn't make it either. Some people had issues with their blood pressure and others starting getting pulled for their backgrounds that first afternoon. I think some of them may have had issues with their pee tests too.

That's as much as I know. I think you'll be fine.

Oscar Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. halfburn

halfburn Medium Load Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Jasper AL
    This is exciting. Promise to keep us updated and not get on the road and never post again like the other 200 people who have documented their school experience.

4. jess-juju

jess-juju Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2008
    Shelbyville TN
    The ones you don't hear from again usually don't finish there training or don't last three months!

SAD BUT TRUE!:biggrin_25511:

5. bullet888

bullet888 Light Load Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Salt Lake city,UT
    You all hear from me. If I can help someone, I will and I will tell you exactly how it is. Am I the most experienced? No, but I think every bit of info helps. Good luck Kate!!

techiekate29 Thanks this.
  6. jess-juju

jess-juju Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2008
    Shelbyville TN
    I didn't mean you BULLET! You still post.

People find out when they get out on the road it isn't as easy as they think!

I am not knocking anyone for leaving!

7. bullet888

Jun 2, 2009
    Salt Lake city,UT
    :biggrin_25520: Just messing with you Jess. I just got the call and I got a job now. It wasn't the $50,000 a year one but $15 an hour plus overtime will work. Dang, now I wish I hadn't sold the motorcycle. If I go look at another one I will be headed for the big "D" for sure.

8. bullet888

Jun 2, 2009
    Salt Lake city,UT
    Kate, i'm not trying to hijack your thread here. Keep us posted while you are out on the road.

9. Oscar

Oscar Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Andice, TX
    Could you tell me more about the work well physical, I'm no spring chicken anymore. After beating myself up in construction, I still have a few aches. Do you know how they figure your heat rate? I've had stress test done in the last year with no problems, no other physical problems. Maybe just a little worried to be 1400 miles from home taking a test to get a job? Thanks

10. techiekate29

techiekate29 Light Load Member

May 27, 2009
    Michigan City, IN
    Sure thing. When we first got to the class room, there was a lady with a portable blood pressure monitor who went around the room and took our blood pressures. There was also a guy that followed behind her and asked our age and weight. From those figures they have a chart that tells them what the highest rate your heart can go is while doing physical work. Mine was 171. While you're doing the work-well, you wear a heart rate monitor watch thing and a sensor that goes around you just under your pectoral muscles. While you perform each task, your heart rate goes up. At the end of the task you tell them what the heart rate monitor watch reads. As long as you don't go over that peak heart rate your fine. If you do hit it, they have you sit for two minutes and in those two minutes your heart rate should fall a certain amount (I think it was 10 points, but don't hold me to that). If it does fall, they have you try again, if it doesn't they sometimes gave people a couple extra minutes cause they realize that people may be nervous. If its really bad and they can't get it under control then it may disqualify you.

The one key piece of advice that I can give you about it is keep breathing! Alot of people kept holding their breath, especially when they asked us to lift the 75 lb. basket onto the shelf that's at eye level and when we had to carry the baskets 100 feet and back. In through the nose, out through the mouth.

The other thing is, they take you into a different little area after the work-well is over and have you do an eye exam and then they take your blood pressure again and ask you some health questions. I think that they take your blood pressure a second time just as a fail-safe to make sure the original reading was correct.

Since you passed a stress test recently, I would assume that you'll be fine. I know the one guy in our class who finished with the top score on the driving test, his blood pressure was slightly elevated and he still made it through. He just has a three month DOT physical card instead of the one or two year card. He maintains that his blood pressure is never high, and I believe him. He had ridden the greyhound from Connecticut to Salt Lake without eating or sleeping well for almost three days. He got in the night before we took the tests at 7am. So there is a good possibility that that had something to do with it, but who knows.

Hope this helps! And I promise to try and give updates as often as I can. They may be a little sparse while I'm out on my 28 days, but hopefully I can do them more frequently once I'm in my own truck :)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
    mama mia and Oscar Thank this.
  11. bullet888

Jun 2, 2009
    Salt Lake city,UT
    Are you suffering from information overload yet Kate? I was worried about the Quallcom with all the different Macros but once I did it for about 3 days, piece of cake. I think theres a reason you get out a little earlier your last 3 days :biggrin_25526:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.