Weekend only jobs for a beginner

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by hasrem, Apr 19, 2018.

1. hasrem

hasrem Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2018
    hi, so i've been meaning to dive into trucking for a while but i'm not ready to just give up my day job. Currently my wife and I are making our ends meets, but we don't have much of savings and with 2 kids (5 and 1 yr old) its not easy.

I wanted to know if weekend only trucking jobs are available for a new drivers? I'm in the central texas area, so San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, Houston are 2-3 hours away from me. I have no problems driving to either of these cities during the weekend. Would these be LTL jobs? Do they hire new drivers? Would i get the most money for my time making runs to these cities or doing only local driving within the Austin area? Which would be the best to get my foot in the door?

This will also give me some experience to know if I want to do this full time which is my eventual goal, to become O/O within 2-3 years after some much needed experience, then hopefully get into tankers with a local company. These are the general outline of my plan so far, but one step at a time.

I've been browsing these forms and they are truly a gold mine of insight, so thank you everyone who contributes!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    Here in houston a company by the name of Edward's transportation placed an ad on Craigslist looking for a weekend driver. I have spoke to them before I got with my current employer and they are willing to train to the right person.

4. Texas_hwy_287

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    Also @Chinatown hes our guru resident and will point you at the right direction when it comes to jobs.

QuietStorm and Puppage Thank this.
  5. hasrem

hasrem Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2018
    thanks for your feedback, would you have any ideas what the going pay is for new drivers on the low and high end just so my expectations are balanced.

6. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    You didn't say if you planned to keep your current job while testing out driving.

It is practically impossible to work 40 hours at one job and then run the weekend ---> LEGALLY. If you are law abiding, you have to log ALL on duty time (including that from another job even if not trucking related). So, 40 at one job and two 14 hour days puts you at 68 hours. Come the next weekend you'll be over having not taken a 34 to restart your 70.

Something to think about .

Grumppy and spindrift Thank this.
  7. Texas_hwy_287

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    From what I seen here at the LTL world the low pay at least here in houston is around 18 to 20 dls depending on what carrier you get on, the company I mentioned above it starts you at 14dls plus OT, maybe the pay will discourage you but then again get some experience then you can jump into the premiere LTL. On the pay for all the LTL here in houston is as follows. Then again it might not be current but this is what I been told from drivers.

FedEx 28 dls
    Old dominion 27dls
    Southeastern 27 dls
    Estes 26dls
    Saia 26 dls
    Averitt 25 dls
    Central freight 25 dls
    Southwestern 24 dls
    Abf 24 dls
    Vocar 22 dls
    KC global 16 dls.

So on and so on there's too many too list. Again the pay scale might not be current as they might have given those hardworkers LTL drivers a well deserving raise but then again not.

8. hasrem

hasrem Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2018
    I was actually wanting to keep the current job until i got a good feel to move full time, hopefully within 6 months or so doing only weekends.

ahhhh, So even if those 40 hours are sitting in a office, they would still be counted for the trucking job? What if that job is working the docks, moving trailers/trucks around?

To fully understand this, that would mean, my first week on the job, i'd be ok doing my 11 hours of on the road for Sat and 11 for Sunday, but come next Sat and Sunday, i wouldn't be able to work because i'd be over my 70. so essentially i can only work every other weekend..legally.

Edit: What about the recap? once i'm over 70, do I not get a recap of the 7th day back (Saturday), so another 11 hours of driving is available on my 70 hours? I hope i'm understanding this right?

thanks for bringing this up..it didn't even occur to me.

EDIT 2: Still trying to wrap my head around this:

Mon - Fri = 40
    Sat = 14
    Sun = 14
    [Total so far 68]
    (I would then have to head to my regular work on Monday)
    Monday = 8 -- (i'm already over 70 by simply going to work here) So what happens now legally, am I in violation on my CDL meaning DOT can issue a ticket even if i'm in my normal vehicle or only if/when i drive the truck?

Does this mean i can reset my 70 on the weekend by not driving the truck? or i can't because of the violation?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  9. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Doesn't matter what "job" you do. If you're getting paid, it's considered "on duty" to the DOT and "LEGALLY" must be logged. I'm on my phone or I'd hook you up with the exact FMCSA rule. Maybe someone will post it.

hasrem Thanks this.
  10. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

There are "driver leasing" companies. They are temp agencies for drivers & companies that need drivers short-term. That's how I would work part-time & experiment with different driving jobs. It also let's you work for different companies without looking like a job hopper.

hasrem Thanks this.
  11. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    No. When you went back to your regular job you would be "on duty-not driving. You can work as many hour over 70 hrs as you want. You just cannot drive a cmv until you either get enough hours back or do a 34 hr reset

tscottme Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.