Weigh Station Speed

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by seventhirty, May 23, 2017.

1. seventhirty

seventhirty Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2017
    Connecticut ~203~
    Mostly all the Weigh stations I go through all have posted signs for speed limit...15mph...or "maintain speed at"! I'm usually pretty good at spotting all the signs "being a nervous rookie..lol"! But today I went through on I80 goin into Illinois and I only seen the ramp sped signs!
    Unless I missed it. My question is if there is no posted sign what is the normal speed? Idk this may be a dumb question...I just don't wanna get jammed up over sumthin so petty!!

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

This is from the Ohio page..... not sure about everywhere, tho~!
    Definitely NOT a dumb question, sir.

4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    You probably missed it. They all have their own systems, protocols, and preferences. As such, they all have to be very explicit with speed postings.

But otherwise, use your own best judgment with the understanding that it's as easy to go "too slow" as it is to go "too fast"

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    seventhirty and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    And don't give them a reason to hassle you. If there is a sign that says "come to complete stop before crossing scale", do just that. If it says "cross scale at 5 MPH" then do that. Use your gps indicated speed if you need to. Not 8. Not 3.

Always have your driver window down and radio turned down through entire scale process. Don't be distracted at any point. Look for and follow all directions to the letter.

If somehow asked to stop on scale (light or verbally), try to stop as "gently" as possible

6. seventhirty

seventhirty Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2017
    Connecticut ~203~
    That's sumthin I ALWAYS DO....radio off window down!

bzinger and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Somebody probably wasn't paying attention and knocked the sign down, and they haven't put it back up yet.

G13's picture is correct pretty much everywhere when your rolling over the scale. Now if you get the guy that wants to play with the signal and wants you to stop three times on the scale, cause he's a jag off and wants to give you a Level 3, just take it like a man.

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Oklahoma I-40 scales. They'll park every single truck on the scale for every bit of 30 seconds before they give you the green light. Meanwhile trucks are backed up a half mile to the exit ramp.

9. breadtrk

breadtrk Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2015
    To answer your question, if there are no other signs, go with ramp speed signs of you get the bypass.

Otherwise, stop on the scale where the arrow thingy tells you.

seventhirty and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  10. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Agree.. what's it usually...15mph?

seventhirty Thanks this.
  11. breadtrk

breadtrk Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2015
    It's different at each scale, some 35, some 25, some 5. Spend enough time out here and you will become very familiar with every crack in every station in your lanes. No matter what you read or hear, you will mostly be in the same lanes all the time, you will learn them.

seventhirty Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.