weights on Rate cons?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by lokltrkr, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

Ayup. If you’re getting paid by the piece, or paid by the ton, or hourly or mileage, whatever piecework deal: there has to be a floor.

I like flat rates with defined expectations. At the end of the day if I go from point a to point B I want x amount of money, if there’s other considerations beyond that, I want them defined beforehand.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Concurred. If my customer wants me to arrange hauling item a from point b to point c, I need to know what it is, what size, and if there's a time component. I'm willing to work out partial rates, as long as none of those parameters start changing. Because guys running partials need to know that those weights/dims are going to hold so that we're not screwing with the other pieces they're putting on.

D.Tibbitt and God prefers Diesels Thank this.
  4. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    “how much is a 2x4?”

I remember I worked at a place in retail building materials that dealt with a variety of customer types. New management was installed, and they kept harping on “qualifying customers” Meaning determining what type of customer we were dealing with.
    A comparable example in trucking would be: someone calls and asks how much for trucking on a shipment from A to B (lets say 20 miles away from Each other)
    How do you qualify that customer without asking a bunch of questions about it? Only a stark rookie would entertain throwing a price on that without details. Because the details will be what ends up turning it into a fiasco and a money loser.

Sometimes you have to lay all that out for people for them to see it clearly.

D.Tibbitt, DUNE-T and PPDCT Thank this.
  5. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Ain't that the truth? And for the most part, I start training the customers, and they start getting me what I need in advance.

6. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Just don't ask questions ))
    Screenshot_20201216-122627.png

7. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  8. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    With the name on that email "fast freight freddy", I can't say as I'm surprised.

tlalokay, 86scotty, ZVar and 3 others Thank this.
  9. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Fast freight freddy aint got no time for ur questions

10. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    It always seems the lighter loads pay better most of the time. Either way the weight doesn't bother me as long as it's legal. One of my customers the rate con always says 41,110 and it's anywhere from 20k-41,110 depending on the product (food stuff)

God prefers Diesels and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  11. DMTLLC

DMTLLC Light Load Member

May 1, 2020
    $1,800.00/900 miles, That doesn't pencil out, I see talk of "light" loads, what is the difference in operating costs of a "light" load as compared to a "not light" load? has your Truck ever told you "that effin load was heavy" with it's tongue hanging out (jk) Having Attorneys in our Family their rate is the same across the board. My hourly rate is the same no matter what you put on my Trailer up to 89,000 lbs.

God prefers Diesels and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.