Weird dreams, drifting thoughts.

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by cabwrecker, Sep 1, 2013.

1. cabwrecker

cabwrecker The clutch wrecker

Mar 23, 2012
    So, I didn't really know where else this ought to be posted- so it's going here.

I recently got off the road after about 15 months OTR with FFE. Paid my dues an all to get the CDL, in return for the 12 month contract. (I recommend against them, btw.)
    I came home about 3 weeks ago and got a pretty nice local job, back in college an all. Everything went as planned- except these few little things.

I'm having the just most off the freaging walls dreams of being in my old truck OTR. Everything from just generally driving down a random interstate, to a couple incidents and near misses where I almost got killed last winter.

It's not only that, which is interrupting my little slice of heaven back home- whenever I'm sitting down to do homework or driving or just generaly board without any particular string of thoughts running through my mind; I start thinking of every random place I'd ever been OTR. These thoughts are just popping into my mind for litteraly no particular reason. For instance I'll sit down to read a book about technical writing and business communication and I'll start thinking of some waterfalls I saw on the side of a US highway in Watkins Glenn, NY.

Have any of you experienced this in your transition from OTR to local driver?
    I figured that it would be slowing down by about now, but if anything these frequency of these thoughts, memories and dreams are becoming more regular and intense.

Any pointers or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
    sal Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. markealy

markealy Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2013
    EL PASO
    I call that diesel in the blood I had a awesome local job in Boston MA I lasted 3 months back to otr i went but a great topic good luck

4. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Try some liquid medication!!

5. cabwrecker

Mar 23, 2012
    Tried that.
    I also got to revisit the night I almost got killed in a pileup in Marne Michigan due to that. So I tend to stay away from that these days.

6. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Hope that it goes away, or at least subsides.

It is an adventure, not just a job, that is what the problem is. Running a livestock farm is much the same way, it takes awhile, but that is harder to get back into than trucking is.

dog-c Thanks this.
  7. Charli Girl

Charli Girl Road Train Member

Mar 23, 2013
    Houston,Tx
    It'll NEVER go away I'm afraid!!! You'll never forget all the beautiful places you've seen. AND you'll ALWAYS yearn to see those "special" places again and again!!!

sal and Mississippi Medicineman Thank this.
  8. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    If it is something that worries you rather then just a longing or a temporary struggle to shift focus then I suggest speaking to a shrink.

9. Casual Trucker

Casual Trucker Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Back when I was much younger I used to drive very,very long miles sometimes i really didn't know how I got where I was I had no memory of how I got there but at that young age iI didn't think too much about that until one night I went to sleep and I mean deep sleep after a long long time if driving and I had this dream.
    I'm going down the road on a hwy and the snow was falling hard snow flakes the size of pancakes and as usual chicken haulers every where some on the side chaining up some chasing my tail trying to beat every body to the next rest area to take cover from this snow storm and I can here the CB radio people are asking How do you put these freakin snow chains on and I heard a driver screaming loud "I'll pay you $$$ to help me put my Chains" but there was no place to pull over & it kept snowing and snowing so by the time a got almost to the top Here comes a wiggle wagon sliding backwards can't stop sliding and he is blocking both lanes now sliding back wards half jack-knifed and some how I managed to escape the collision and finally I get to the top and because of all the excitement I forgot how fast up hill I was going needless to say when i got to the top I was too fast I Guess my mind was thinking I m too light I can't afford to drive slow on the snow for fear of spinning Like that wiggle wagon I saw but after reaching the top of the hill I saw the huge snow white ground it looked like there was no more HWY Just a very steep down hill to an ICE lake . with no right lane/Left lane shoulder Nothing but snow covered road that didn't look like a road any more and I could see the shine on that ice the sun was coming from behind the clouds and melting the top layer I knew there is no freekin way I m gona Hit the brakes or Jake it but don't shake it..so I started going down the grade too fast just hoping I don't Fall off a cliff I can't see because of the snow covered zone and the stress was just too much to handle I guess my mind couldn't handle what to do next I finally woke up I remember Jumping and hitting my head on the top end of my sleeper saying NO..NO..NO as if my mind was finally saying this is to much bull lets get out of here..But until this day if I even yawn and I just got out of bed 10 seconds a go I find a place to park and go to bed screw The HOS I will not get killed because I 'm tired.why am I telling you this because I still remember this dream and think a bout it and think what if that did really happened and it was just a dream.

10. Charli Girl

Charli Girl Road Train Member

Mar 23, 2013
    Houston,Tx
    Next exit...published trucker thriller novel!! Hee Hee That was a good one driver!!!:biggrin_25514:

11. cabwrecker

Mar 23, 2012
    This doesn't sound like a half bad idea.
    Finally gave up on trying to read my homework assignment- better luck tomorrow maybe.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.