Weird puzzling ISX noise

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by WhiteMarine, Jun 27, 2022.

1. WhiteMarine

WhiteMarine Bobtail Member

Jan 3, 2022
    Cleveland, Ohio
    So... I am having a puzzling time trying to figure out what or where this noise is coming from and why. Video link at bottom.

Symptom: Loud tinny/rattly type noise harmonically coming from the tone ring audibly.

Done so far:
    - redid front geartrain, timing/wedged cam
    - checked all of top-end. Rockers, shafts, cam, cam bearings, Jake's, detents, springs, valves, and everything else I could check.
    - made sure concept gear springs were all good, tensioned correctly, and all operational
    - checked all gear meshing and all was ok, and spaced camshaft idler gear at correct mesh spec and process.

I am completely stumped and bewildered at where this noise is coming from. I thought maybe some teeth were touching the housing or etc, all clear and touching nothing. I have been in and out of this entire top end, geartrain, and cannot figure out where this noise is originating from to be coming out of the cam's tone ring like this. Anyone have this issue before or any suggestions?

Another Video of front Geatrain Noise

Video of Noise and Front Geartrain

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Have you ever changed the balancer on ft. of. crankshaft? If it has more than 6oo,ooo mi. on it then is at the end of its life,and can make all kinds of vibration in the motor?

WhiteMarine Thanks this.
  4. WhiteMarine

Jan 3, 2022
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Currently, it has a newer dampener. It has 620k miles on it, but was entirely rebuilt by cummins around 220k miles ago. The dampened has right around 200k miles on it.

Are the geartrains and cam tone wheels normally that loud and tinny sounding like that on the ISX engines? (Single cam, 2015 425 engine)

5. Nss

Nss Light Load Member

Jul 5, 2021
    So is concept gear setup correctly?

WhiteMarine Thanks this.
  6. WhiteMarine

Jan 3, 2022
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Yeah, concept gear is totally fine, all springs good and put everything into mesh spec like it should be.

This is the most puzzling thing I've ever came across. Lol

7. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    While i cant listen to the video as i refuse to make an account. Did this truck have a new Oil pump? New style can be loud...

WhiteMarine Thanks this.
  8. WhiteMarine

Jan 3, 2022
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Oh, sorry, I didn't know you had to have an account to see the video, Thanks for telling me bud! I put a new link below, I just uploaded it to YouTube.

It did get a new oil pump around 200k ago.

NEW Video Link. No account needed.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
    Reason for edit: Added video link
    D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  9. Nss

Nss Light Load Member

Jul 5, 2021
    So when did this noise start. Just out of the blue, or after some type of repair

10. WhiteMarine

Jan 3, 2022
    Cleveland, Ohio
    It started out of the blue. The only work performed on it in any type of recent time, was the fuel pump gasket to geatrain housing connection was leaking. Thus, they put a new fuel filter gasket on. Around 2mo prior.

But, no real servicing or changes to speak of. Just randomly heard it, so I assumed it was the geartrain and redid the entire geartrain (I've done it around 8-times now on previous other ISX single cams we have. Never had an issue).

11. Nss

Nss Light Load Member

Jul 5, 2021
    So all gears are timed correctly?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.