Weird Wording on rate cons?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Beaver9, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Beaver9

Beaver9 Heavy Load Member

Jun 15, 2020
    What's Blind BOL? When instructed to use Blind Bill of Lading and does not, the carrier to assess a $500 fee?
    If a carrier is required to get an empty/loaded scale ticket and does not, fine up to $250.
    The carrier needs to make sure/ is obligated to have their company name listed on all pages of BOL. If it is not, they can hold up your payment for 4months??? (all in a rate con agreement)
    Failure to depart shipper with a fully loaded trailer, it terms of weight and space, or incomplete may lower your rate.
    Driver must pulp all produce for temperature and do the count.
    A disclosed rate to the shipper/receiver gets $500 fine.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. andrewsdad

andrewsdad Light Load Member

Jul 18, 2016
    ProfessionalNoticer and Beaver9 Thank this.
  4. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    A blind shipment is when the broker does not want the receiver or shipper to know where the load came from. After your loaded the broker will send you a different BOL that will have a different shipper on it than where you picked it up.

Beaver9 Thanks this.
  5. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Blind aside, given all the contingency penalties, I'd tell them to piss off.

Granted the blinds I've done were commodities, but there were never any penalties. Heck most the time the shippers and receivers already knew where the product was coming from, going to or didn't care.

6. Beaver9

Jun 15, 2020
    I didn't take that load. There are too many penalties. They want to put all the blame on the carrier if anything goes wrong. Not worth it, especially when they word themselves they may take up to four months to pay??? for requesting something no other broker requests.
    They also put in wording that they are buying your truck and trailer for that time when you are taking that load. What if they want to drop off trailer in the meantime. I never have seen any other broker put so much ownership over everything a poor carrier does to move product from one place to another.

7. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    You made the right move. I would have told them I don't agree to any of those penalties and I can remove them or cross them out on the rate con and run it or they can just find another truck. The blind isn't a big deal but all those penalties are a deal breaker for me. They're pretty high too which adds insult to injury IMO.

8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Blind shipments are usually no more than Direct Shipments. Wholesaler buys a Truckload from Manufacturer, or another Distributor, and doesn’t want the Customer to know where it came from. Often it’s packaged with the Suppliers Brand name. Sometimes it will be double blind, meaning the Shipper doesn’t know where it’s going either. Keeps both parties from cutting out the wholesaler. So picking up, you’ll give a fictitious Customer and Location, and when delivering, new BOL will have the same, or maybe even a different fictitious origin. Need to keep a copy of original BOL for records. I once came from the south with a load of motor oil. Guys in NJ asked about the snow storm in Colorado. Had Me stumped for a minute. Oh yeah, it was rough!! Lol.

9. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    We do blind loads of pallets all the time... My company buys truck load of pallets, which my company had already sold to a pallet supplier. Said supplier has already sold them to a customer.

I get a load of pallets and get a BOL that has my company as the consignee, but I already have a BOL from the pallet supplier that lists them as the shipper and their customer as the consignee. I then deliver the pallets to the pallet suppliers customer.

77fib77, D.Tibbitt and Beaver9 Thank this.
  10. Beaver9

Jun 15, 2020
    It looks like they wanted me to be the consignee mandating my company to be named on the BOL, being financially responsible for it.
    I don't really understand everything, so I'm glad I opted out. I don't want to be screwed over if something ends up wrong with that particular load.

11. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I wonder if they would take all that ownership if you were to get in a wreck on that load and injure or kill someone... We all know #### well they would throw the carrier right under the bus.. U made the right move. On to the next one.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.