Well...got a speeding ticket for 15 over, advice?

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by Xzachtly, Jan 5, 2019.

1. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    your job may NOT be at stake...NOW...

what "if" the family place closes up shop...???

a far reach....??

these days, maybe not.......

plus too...this "could" affect the company insurance rates....ever think about that..???

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    a local lawyer is best. they know how things work there.

Veteran driver Thanks this.
  4. PoleCrusher

PoleCrusher Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    You need to get an attorney. 15 over is a serious violation and I wouldn't risk trying to handle it myself.

If you choose not to get an attorney, write a letter to the DA's office. Be honest, make it a point that you are not familiar with the area and explain, in detail what happened in the few minutes before you were stopped. Ask them if they will keep it off your record, or at least reduce the charge. Send a copy of the ticket with your letter. Call in advance and ask them how to contact them; mail, email, fax, carrier pigeon or hand delivered, whatever their preference is.

Pictures or video would be helpful too. Its possible you could not not have been able to see the sign. If you can show that the 25 mph sign was either missing or not able to be seen in your direction of travel, the ticket can be tossed. For future reference, always get pics at a traffic stop, and very politely ask the officer to show you the sign.

Again, 15 over is a major violation, I would do whatever was necessary to keep that off my record.

shogun and SAR Thank this.
  5. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    You may call Road/law at 888-276- 8000 and tell them where you got this CDL killer speeding tic. they can look up how this court treats tic.

Swiss Mountain Dog Thanks this.
  6. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    You can give an attorney $150 to do this or you can do it yourself.

First, the police or the lady at the window can NOT reduce a ticket or reduce the fine. That is illegal. ONLY... ONLY the DA in that jurisdiction (or a judge but he usually wont deal with this as that's what the DAs office is for) can reduce a ticket or a fine. Period.

All you have to do is call the DA's office & speak to the assistant DA that will be handling your case. Just ask him if he can help you out. Over my 30 some-odd years, I have gotten a few speeding tickets. I have never.... NEVER, been declined help. Every assistant DA that I have ever asked for help did so. They usually reduce the ticket to a non-movable (just ask for that) which doesn't go on your record, pay the fine & no one will ever know the difference.
    Usually, they will have some sort of stipulation attached to this that you do not get another violation in their district for 1 year etc etc. If so, this ticket will be reinstated at the 15 over. Different districts have different stipulations.

This is not hard to do. It does take a few weeks to get through the system so:
    1) call the DAs office asap & find out when they expect to receive the ticket.
    2) on that date, call the assistant DA back & talk to him about the ticket & tell him you need some help because:
    A) you have a clean record (he will run your DMV record to see) & that you are not a maniac driving our on the road.
    B) this is a very serious offence & will be a serious violation on your class A licence
    C) you will pay the total fine for a reduced ticket/violation NON-MOVING (that is essential)

It will take him a few days usually to get back to you because he will:
    1) check your DMV record
    2) he will talk to the officer who wrote you the ticket to see if his story matches yours &
    3) if you were respectful to the officer etc
    4) he will ask the officer if he is willing to let him work with you. If the officer had an issue while dealing with you, he may ask the ADA not to reduce the ticket. Chances are the ADA is going to respect that officers request. If the office doesn't have an problem with the ADA working with you, chances are, you have a deal.
    5) If you have had any previous issues in that district, like asked for help on a previous ticket etc

The bottom line is, the ADA will usually help you if he can.

Do what you want, but this way its free & its not hard to do... Just call, be sincere, polite, respectful & honest. An attorney aint gonna get you out of this any cheaper.

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    What? You don’t have a time travel machine? Just go back and do it over and get it right.

homeskillet Thanks this.
  8. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Does the ticket have the option to pay early (usually within 20 days) and get reduced points?

9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Looks like someone going to buy some new park benches for the city,,,:biggrin_25523:

10. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Ask the clerk which attorney in town has the best luck. They know.

11. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    This is absolutely the best advice you can get. 99% of the population are not dicks, and if you truly have a clean record, most folks are happy to help.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.