Well it has finally started

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by kitcarguy, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Sounds good
    Have fun
    Keep on truckin

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kitcarguy

kitcarguy Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2021
    Week 2. Started the day with being told that we will all have testing dates by the end of the week. Then we did a pre-trip which we will obviously do everyday from here on out. Pre-trip is pretty straightforward. The instructor wants us to point/touch everything call out what you are looking for, and move to the next item. It was pretty easy for.

Next we got in the truck and the real "FUN" began. Lets just say double clutching is really tricky. Well let me say tossing out everything you know about driving is the tricky part. I have the concept down, and I understand the movement, but my body parts are just not cooperating with me HAHAHA...

Oh well their is always tomorrow.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  4. kitcarguy

Mar 18, 2021
    Double clutching got easier today, and then the instructor tossed in downshifting for good measure. As you can imagine I sank pretty quick lol . I can occasionally get it right, but then I get aggravated with myself if I mess it up . Tomorrow we are going to be doing more shifting, then a bit more backing, and they the trailers are getting hooked up. From their they are attached for the duration of the training.

Going to soak up a few more youtube videos on downshifting and then see if I can get that right tomorrow.

gorignak and Chinatown Thank this.
  5. kitcarguy

Mar 18, 2021
    Another little update. 3rd day on the road and I feel much better. double clutching is getting easier, and while sloppy downshifting is getting better. They gave us an extra day of shifting to try and get everyone a bit more comfortable. Trailers will go on either today or tomorrow and then they will stay there until the end .

gorignak Thanks this.
  6. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    As much as you may feel pressured to hurry. Try not to that leads to complacency and accidents.
    Also get yourself a routine for pre trips and stick to it.
    Please don’t be one of these speed demons who think 20 mph thru parking lots is acceptable. 5 to 7 mph is fast enough.
    Also don’t rely 100% on a gps use your road atlas

I almost envy you going thru a school
    My grandfather taught me and running with him for a year was some great times and memories.
    He had no forgiveness and it was rough learning from a man who started driving a truck in 1944

7. kitcarguy

Mar 18, 2021
    I have a routine for pretrip already that is working well for me. I am no speed demon thats for sure. In fact I drive like an old lady in my personal vehicle. Yup im one of those guys. If the speed limit is 45 im going 45 and dont give a #### what the people behind me thing. HAHAHA

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. kitcarguy

Mar 18, 2021
    Well we are in week 3. Things have gotten much easier. Driving the truck around town has gotten easy and while still tricky, I am getting much better at backing. They have already given my my testing date....NO PRESSURE lol

gorignak Thanks this.
  9. kitcarguy

Mar 18, 2021
    Well its the final week of training. Then testing next week. Backing is a bit of an issue for me( at least in my head ) but overall i feel prepared for the dmv teat.

gorignak, Chinatown and jason6541 Thank this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Have you chosen a company yet to drive for?

11. kitcarguy

Mar 18, 2021
    No i have not. Difficult decision

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.