Werner and my past employment

Discussion in 'Werner' started by Granddoy, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Granddoy

Granddoy Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Amarillo, TX
    I've recently acquired my CDL from a "five star" (according to the Werner recruiter) trucking school. I applied at Werner, and was denied a job, for reasons they won't state unless I snail-mail a request and they snail-mail it back. Problem is, I have a spotless driving record and a spotless employment record (always give 2 weeks' notice), except for a local convenience store. This store fired me for stealing, but I proved in an unemployment appeals' court hearing that I didn't steal anything, and was granted full unemployment. I really wanted to work for Werner for several reasons, but I can't figure out how to get the hiring board to read my documentation - I'm not sure the recruiter even bothered taking it to the board - or what I can do to get this smudge off my record. Any suggestions?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cooper09

Cooper09 Light Load Member

Feb 10, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Yeah....write the letter and find out. Seems like a no brainer to me.

4. bbqguy

bbqguy Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2010
    East Wenatchee, WA
    I don't understand how Werner would have knowledge of that accusation. Were you arrested for this? Is it on your criminal record? If not, why would you include that store on your application to Werner?

5. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    It might not have been your past employment record, or anything to do with your past. It might be something as simple as where you live, or the availability of trucks, or lack of frieght to get you home, or any of a hundred other reasons. Bear in mind that carriers today get hundreds, if not thousands of applications for every available seat. Maybe you were good, but somebody was a bit better. I'd definitely get the reason for no hire in writing, and keep it in your records, though. Just because ya never know.

6. Trucked Up

Trucked Up Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2008
    I'm guessing it's just on his work record. Having been fired isn't a good thing, especially in this economy.

I suppose you could just leave the store off your work history on the application, but then that would leave you with an empty period. Depending on how long he worked there, that could be a problem.

In any case, if you purposely left something like that off your application, then you could get caught in a lie, potentially, and then they'll hit up your DAC report. Not a good plan.

It's best to be honest about these sorts of things, if not necessarily forthcoming.

7. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    What matters is what that former employer is saying about you. Theft is a deal stopper in our industry, and if they are still saying that you stole something that would be the problem. I'd suggest that you do the snail mail thing with Werner just to find out why they rejected you. If its because of this former employer, you need to contact an employment attorney.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.